Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrated into SSD VPS from shared but nothing speed up
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrated into SSD VPS from shared but nothing speed up

Recently migrated from shared hosting to ssd vps but my wordpress site speed didn't increased. Even decreased from the gtmetrix results.
Can you give me any suggestions on where I'm doing wrong?
It was 88 score on gtmetrix before now 73. And its ssd vps.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

What web server/PHP was on the shared hosting, and what is being used on the VPS now? Have you made any changes to the stock web server config after installing on the VPS?

• folomfolom Member
    edited September 2018

@MikeA said:
    What web server/PHP was on the shared hosting, and what is being used on the VPS now? Have you made any changes to the stock web server config after installing on the VPS?

Almost same: Even upgraded php v. from 7.1 to 7.2.
    On shared it was cpanel but dont know which linux os. Now directadmin plus centos7.
    opcache enabled. Ram+cpu is still same.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Are you using a different datacentre? speed testing sites are not always that reliable, Are you using cloudflare?

• hostnamastehostnamaste Member, Patron Provider

@folom said:

@MikeA said:

Almost same: Even upgraded php v. from 7.1 to 7.2.
    On shared it was cpanel but dont know which linux os. Now directadmin plus centos7.
    opcache enabled. Ram+cpu is still same.

Shared server could be using CloudLinux and LiteSpeed Web Server which offers the best in class performance compare to centos apache based hosting server. You should try to use the CloudFlare's name servers to increase the loading speed also tune your web server.

• The shared server that you were using, most likely had LSWS, which offers better browser caching and minification features that score higher in gtmetrix.

If you are looking for high gtmetrix scores, run your website threw cloudflare OR optimize the stack manually OR install cyberpanel and their lscache wordpress plugin. That will easily get your website in the 90's. Then get a free or paid cdn to increase your YSlow score too.

• understand that most likely your wordpress install and overuse of plugins is the issue here. optimize that.

have you actually read the recommendations on gtmetrix about what issues you should take care of? simply picking a provider with the marketing term SSD on their offers won't help with things like render blocking javascript, missing expire headers, unoptimized images and so on.

• @vovler said:
    The shared server that you were using, most likely had LSWS, which offers better browser caching and minification features that score higher in gtmetrix.

If you are looking for high gtmetrix scores, run your website threw cloudflare OR optimize the stack manually OR install cyberpanel and their lscache wordpress plugin. That will easily get your website in the 90's. Then get a free or paid cdn to increase your YSlow score too.

Yes most probably and litespeed is an extra cost if i have on vps.

@Falzo said:
    understand that most likely your wordpress install and overuse of plugins is the issue here. optimize that.

have you actually read the recommendations on gtmetrix about what issues you should take care of? simply picking a provider with the marketing term SSD on their offers won't help with things like render blocking javascript, missing expire headers, unoptimized images and so on.

On pingdom getting this:

38 Minimize request size

The requests for the following URLs don't fit in a single packet. Reducing the size of these requests could reduce latency.
    data:application/x-font-woff;charset=utf-8;base ... AAAB//8AAnjaY2BgYGQAgosrjpwF0ZcUq9bCaABTzgdAAAA=
    data:text/css;charset=utf-8;base64,Y2xvdWRmbGFy ... CiAgb3BhY2l0eTogLjllbTsKICBjb2xvcjogI2ZmZjsKfQo=

On gtmetrix:

This page has 24 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one.

This page has 16 external stylesheets. Try combining them into one.
    There are 26 components with misconfigured ETags
    There are 87 components that are not cookie-free
    There are 2512 DOM elements on the page

Also mobile speed is bad.

• Instead of directadmin, try cyberpanel, it comes with openlitespeed (free version of litespeed), plus you can use "Litespeed cache" wordpress plugin that will increase your gtmetrix/pingdom score

• linuxatemyram.com the the linux eat your ram and is go slow.

• @vovler said:
    Instead of directadmin, try cyberpanel, it comes with openlitespeed (free version of litespeed), plus you can use "Litespeed cache" wordpress plugin that will increase your gtmetrix/pingdom score

You don't need LiteSpeed webserver or LSCache to install LiteSpeed Cache plugin, just in case. Of course it will be better if you have them.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited September 2018

Does the score actually matter, is what I am wondering.

Because gtmetrix gives LET a fail score ( E ). But the site loads in a second anyway, so I don't care.

Thanked by 1dfmcvn
  • folom said: Recently migrated from shared hosting to ssd vps but my wordpress site speed didn't increased. Even decreased from the gtmetrix results.

Can you give me any suggestions on where I'm doing wrong?
    It was 88 score on gtmetrix before now 73. And its ssd vps.

first of all such websites is big bullshit. They showing almost nothing.
    Much better will be to check via pagespeed from google, more informative data.

Second, you did not provide ANY technical details at all.
    Usually moving from shared hosting to own VPS always better (of course if provider not sucks, and VPS is good in terms of performance, and have enough resources and correct software installed).

For having good results in terms of speed, install nginx + php-fpm + mariadb or mysql 5.7, opcache, and your wp plugins for cache. That's it, and everything will be blazing fast. Optionally you can install advanced caching for your server.

Out the box very good solution might be installing and trying centminmod. They're pretty fine tuned for 1 site per VPS. Out the box you will have pretty good results.

Optionaly you can instead of centminmod install vestacp stuck (nginx + apache + php) with extra pagespeed plugin from google what you can install from deb package.

Which will optimize all your pages automatically (but it's require some more CPU and memory for processing).

• @desperand said:

gtmetrix is using pagespeed (appart from other services)...

• @Jarry said:

@desperand said:

gtmetrix is using pagespeed (appart from other services)...

On google pspeed it gives around 70 for desktop and 60 for mobile and really bad opening times (like 3-4 sec or 4-5 for mobile)

I think its more script related but yes i dont have litespeed web server.

• You could try optimizing speed with little effort by usig Centminmod

• If the site is cached and bandwidth is enough, it wouldn't get faster in the front, but if you visit dashboard, it's usually faster on SSD VPS than shared hosting.

• @Ympker said:
    You could try optimizing speed with little effort by usig Centminmod

Maybe its already installed, how can I test it?

Anyways i'm still struggling on js , above the fold content etc.

• @folom said:

@Ympker said:
    You could try optimizing speed with little effort by usig Centminmod

Maybe its already installed, how can I test it?

Anyways i'm still struggling on js , above the fold content etc.

Pretty sure it's not installed by default.
    Check it out here: https://centminmod.com