Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to use more ovh 3gbps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to use more ovh 3gbps?

Currently uses 3 servers, with 3gbs upgrade in each.

Because my peak traffic reaches 8gbps.

How could I unify these 3 links, because I'm having to do rsync of the files on the 3 servers, this is very bad, it's almost 500gb .mp4 files and increasing every day.

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2018

You call OVH and discuss with a direct representative your needs and see if they can offer a solution with a single 10Gbit uplink at a workable price?

I feel almost silly telling you this, as this should have been the most obvious solution to this.

If you're inquiring how you can magically just make three servers into one, then you probably need to reach out to God or Allah or whomever you believe in and ask for a miracle.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited August 2018

You can't really combine all of their links into one big pipe. The best thing you can do is create a distributed filesystem to stabilize the amount that has to be transferred by more intelligently distributing/replicating. GlusterFS with a dispersed volume gives you a lot of usable space with some fault tolerance. Something like ZFS under it deduplicating the blocks could also minimize the amount that's transferred.

• Have you tried contacting Cloudflare for their Cloudflare Stream service https://www.cloudflare.com/products/cloudflare-stream/ ?

• @eva2000 said:
    Have you tried contacting Cloudflare for their Cloudflare Stream service https://www.cloudflare.com/products/cloudflare-stream/ ?

Is so expensive
    $1.00 per 1,000 streamed minutes

Example
    videos: media 10 min per video
    ?

Thanked by 1inklight
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Time to ask money form your customers.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2018

TheLinuxBug said: You call OVH and discuss with a direct representative your needs and see if they can offer a solution with a single 10Gbit uplink at a workable price?

Ah, the solution for when you're slow, dumb and have more money than brains.

No need to think about setting up a CDN of sorts where the two frontend servers would auto-fetch and keep only the most frequently requested data from the master one (which from the looks of it will also have a part-time job as a frontend) -- or something like that. No, don't think, don't try anything smart, just pick up the phone talk to a salesdroid and pay more money. Surprising to see that from you in particular.

edited August 2018

@rm_ said:

TheLinuxBug said: You call OVH and discuss with a direct representative your needs and see if they can offer a solution with a single 10Gbit uplink at a workable price?

Ah, the solution for when you're slow, dumb and have more money than brains.

No need to think about setting up a CDN of sorts where the two frontend servers would auto-fetch and keep only the most frequently requested data from the master one (which from the looks of it will also have a part-time job as a frontend) -- or something like that. No, don't think, don't try anything smart, just pick up the phone talk to a salesdroid and pay more money. Surprising to see that from you in particular.

I thought I was using my brain. If the need is for an aggregate of 9Gbit per second, then how is it cheaper to have 3 servers with 3 uplinks than it would be to have one decent server with a 10Gbit link? I am sure there has to be a solution that works out if you contact them.

Sure I guess you could patchwork something else together, it just seemed like you would spend more in trouble and time on that solution than just having a single server.

If there is an issue with transferring the data simply between the existing nodes, then find a way to split the highest used content into 3 parts and host them separately on the different servers, distributing the load? Otherwise, there will always be copying of the file involved in some manor? CDN type included, it still has to copy the data to cache it. So at that point its just down to figuring out how to distribute the load in some manor, such as you mentioned.

That said, you seem the one who has some solutions in mind and has spent the extra cycles considering it, what would you suggest as a solution?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2018

TheLinuxBug said: what would you suggest as a solution?

Well I described one in my post. Point is, the advice to "just go pay for more bandwidth" is so boring and obvious, surely LET can do better than that. Why not at least pretend the described constraints are fixed, and is there anything we can make out of that.

• Thanks everyone for trying to help, I'm going to call on Monday because the support in "pt" is back next week.

I would like to understand better.

• If I have example "1 server with 3gbps"
    • he is using 100% the whole month.
    • being thus 3gbps = 3x330 = 990TB per month

but the daily consumption is 20tb, totaling 30x20TB = 600TB per month

So here comes my doubt, what happens to my visitors, when I'm using 3gbps and I have no more link available?

the videos slow down? or does my 20tb day consumption increase until I reach the monthly limit of 990tb?

• @KinderOvO possibly the video streaming speed slows down when full 3 Gbps Uplink being used by quite a good amount of people. Also the bandwidth consumption should increase if you really use 3 Gbps Uplink at max all the time.

• TheLinuxBug said: If you're inquiring how you can magically just make three servers into one, then you probably need to reach out to God

I think they call it CDN

• KinderOvO said: but the daily consumption is 20tb, totaling 30x20TB = 600TB per month
    So here comes my doubt, what happens to my visitors, when I'm using 3gbps and I have no more link available?

the videos slow down? or does my 20 tb day consumption increase until I reach the monthly limit of 990tb?

>

First congratulatory reaching this huge number of visitors second I was in the similar problem you had here What's will happened if your visitors bandwidths exceed 3 Gbps is similar to DDos Attack the network can't server any more visitors and your server will crash .
    I expecting their is many hardware software solution to such cases e.g blocking the new visors from reaching the site (with small error message ) and serve the ones who still live .
    Or you can rent the remaining 7Gbps bandwidth from other providers who's offers fair share Gbit lines (for a cheap price ) and make them works as CDN on rush hours .
    You should calculate what time is your peak time and prepare your server/CDNs to work synchronize but 3 VS 10 Gbps is still huge different in bandwidth . last ton't think to use paid CDN they are more expensive the dedicated line .

• @inklight said:

KinderOvO said: but the daily consumption is 20tb, totaling 30x20TB = 600TB per month

the videos slow down? or does my 20 tb day consumption increase until I reach the monthly limit of 990tb?

>

First congratulatory reaching this huge number of visitors second I was in the similar problem you had here What's will happened if your visitors bandwidths exceed 3 Gbps is similar to DDos Attack the network can't server any more visitors and your server will crash .
    I expecting their is many hardware software solution to such cases e.g blocking the new visors from reaching the site (with small error message ) and serve the ones who still live .
    Or you can rent the remaining 7Gbps bandwidth from other providers who's offers fair share Gbit lines (for a cheap price ) and make them works as CDN on rush hours .
    You should calculate what time is your peak time and prepare your server/CDNs to work synchronize but 3 VS 10 Gbps is still huge different in bandwidth . last ton't think to use paid CDN they are more expensive the dedicated line .

It might be more expensive, but you're paying them to offload that traffic for you. Instead of worrying about delivery, you just have to worry about cache hit/miss ratios and leave the rest to the CDN to ensure that they can sustain the traffic you send.

If it's critical to be up, then there is invaluable money in a CDN versus suffering the fate of saturating your connection.

This of course is my opinion, but I see the value in CDNs as a whole for traffic offload and delivery.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

@KinderOvO said:

Thanks everyone for trying to help, I'm going to call on Monday because the support in "pt" is back next week.

the videos slow down? or does my 20tb day consumption increase until I reach the monthly limit of 990tb?

Contrary to a post above, nothing crashes when you reach your bandwidth limit. Unless there is something else causing the crash, bandwidth starvation itself won't crash anything. The available bandwidth will be spread among all your users to the point where there is enough of them so that no one gets good service, and sometimes no useable service at all. In the case with video this means playback interruptions, video player errors and long buffering.

• @PUSHR_Victor said:

@KinderOvO said:

Thanks everyone for trying to help, I'm going to call on Monday because the support in "pt" is back next week.

Contrary to a post above, nothing crashes when you reach your bandwidth limit. Unless there is something else causing the crash, bandwidth starvation itself won't crash anything. The available bandwidth will be spread among all your users to the point where there is enough of them so that no one gets good service, and sometimes no useable service at all. In the case with video this means playback interruptions, video player errors and long buffering.

Is there any way I can test this?

Because right now it's 100% 5gbps and I see no difference in the speed of the videos.

will have some way of knowing if I'm losing visits, if it's having errors.

• You may want to rethink the network topology. Having all the videos on all 3 servers probably isn’t the best, but without knowing anything about the streaming service it’s hard to tell. The requirements between many people who watch the same few videos each day vs a many people watching many videos, really changes up the requirements

edited September 2018

inklight said: I think they call it CDN

I think they call it you didn't read the thread before you read that and quoted it.

I think they call it, you should go back and read and use your brain more before you say things so obviously.

I think I am typing this to you because if you paid attention I was already trolled once in this thread and part of my response was to discuss CDN and mention why if the problem is already about moving data between the servers because of not enough bandwidth available how it will be difficult to create a CDN in this case as well.

I think, using I think the way you did makes you sounds really dumb and I hope I have proven this by using it over and over in my response making my self sound the same way.

I think... the problem is... you didn't think.

Cheers!

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited September 2018

He calls, She calls, you call, I call.

This is turning into a cat fight which we all love. Well, except for a sad fact that it's dudes having a cat fight which ain't pretty. Guys have got nothing to grab on.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

@KinderOvO said:

@PUSHR_Victor said:

@KinderOvO said:

Is there any way I can test this?

Because right now it's 100% 5gbps and I see no difference in the speed of the videos.

will have some way of knowing if I'm losing visits, if it's having errors.

Simply introduce an artificial limit on the network interface with Linux's traffic control and observe the effects.

• inklightinklight Member
    edited September 2018

TheLinuxBug said: I think, using I think the way you did makes you sounds really dumb

First I read OP posts and yours were below it , I didn't need to read the rest of your Marvelous replies ,
    Either ways keeping 3 server would be way better for OP then upgrade one server to single 10Gbps line I guess you brain understand why .

• @inklight said:

TheLinuxBug said: If you're inquiring how you can magically just make three servers into one, then you probably need to reach out to God

I think they call it CDN

It's called cluster, not CDN.

• Doutei said: It's called cluster, not CDN.

• @KinderOvO said:

@eva2000 said:
    Have you tried contacting Cloudflare for their Cloudflare Stream service https://www.cloudflare.com/products/cloudflare-stream/ ?

Is so expensive
    $1.00 per 1,000 streamed minutes

Example
    videos: media 10 min per video
    ?

Use cdn from video hosting? Like. Openload, rapidvideo, fembed etc. They are free and come with unlimited storage