Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox and Ryzen 1700X - is it stable now?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox and Ryzen 1700X - is it stable now?

I'm looking into one of Hetzner's servers - AX60-SSD with Ryzen 7 1700x CPU. After doing some research I've found a thread on Proxmox forums about stability issues with the same configuration. The thread is quite old (2017) so maybe the problems have been fixed.

I know I can purchase the server and cancel it within 14 days, but I don't want to be a dick if I can just ask here.

Is someone here who runs Proxmox on Ryzen servers? What's your experience with this configuration?

Comments

• AMD Fanboys will tell that everything is ok, and nothing can change it. You should try it by yourself, without asking anything. In my experience, AMD can't work fine with any virtualization even for desktop segment.

• ehabehab Member

best is to ask sales/support first.

• I'm using KVM on their servers with EPYC 7401P without any problems

• JunJun Member
    edited August 2018

Personally, I would not want to use AMD cpu for critical Linux servers. I do have some AMD cpus and have suffered enough with various issues that are still not fixed in the latest kernel. For example, speaking of Ryzen 7 series, they have a known kernel bug where c6 feature causes soft lockup that is still not fixed (afaik, 1700x is affected by this bug). Another example, the integrated GPU support of AMD CPUs barely started at 4.17 and I do still face some minor bugs with it. Since c6 and integrated gpu seems less relevant to server, I'd guess AMD focuses more on the server-related issues therefore you might not have many problems with it if you strictly want to use it for server purpose. However, I do not have much trust in AMD cpu reliability in Linux kernel in general. And If you are planning to use it for virtualization purpose, don't. Just don't. Please don't.

• hi we use in production Ryzen's CPUS for our client , they are good for basic tasks but for us better use Xeon CPUs or Kaby

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Got a couple of Ryzen 7s in production (on budget VPS), and so far so good. Been running solid for almost a year without any issues.

Don't think it will become our regular line-up, but we wanted to put a couple of these in production, and I'm quite impressed with the performance, stability and power draw (pretty modest).

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

ryzen is not a server designed CPU. Look at Epyc.