Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi - Proxmox hypervisor behind pfsense vm
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi - Proxmox hypervisor behind pfsense vm

vetvettervetvetter Member
edited August 2018 in General

I'm trying to get Proxmox behind a Pfsense vm on the same box. I understand that with kimsufi your public IP and Mac are tied together. I've done this exact process before on xenserver 6.5 ok and working. So I definitely understand the concept.

At this point I'm just having problems getting the vm to connect to the public IP and spoofed Mac.

I can't get this working to save my life on this kimsufi box in bhs.

I've followed this:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/6fv2bf/kimsufi_assign_public_ip_to_pfsense_vm/

I'm using proxmox 5 so there is no rc.local file so I created one and it works fine for that part. I was able to mask one of the other Mac's ok. However try to change eno1 and flop over the vm and zero ping.

I also have tried this with pre-up'ing the physical Mac mask on eno1 in the /etc/network/interfaces file. This was a tip from another user from 2016. Same no ping after result.

I'm thinking something has changed on the kimsufi side to prevent this work around now.... Has anyone done this recently in bhs with proxmox 5?

I wish you could at least get 2 public ips or even just a temp kvm with kimsufi to just eliminate this all together!! Yes I understand they are cheap but....

Comments

• So nobody has tried something like this on a kimsufi box......?

I find that hard to believe...

• first time i hear about Pfsense. What is your feedback about it?

• @ehab said:
    first time i hear about Pfsense. What is your feedback about it?

It's quite nice as long as you don't need gbit pppoe.

• With my past production installs I was mostly using Untangle for firewall vms. They worked great.

Trying Pfsense on this one along with proxmox... However not going so hot at this point... I don't think it is a pfsense issue however.