Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Managing a Server: Is it really hard for noobs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Managing a Server: Is it really hard for noobs?

I really want to manage my own server. You know full managed services costs around 30-60 usd per month. So I dont want to pay it. But at least i'd like to do minimum required work for vps server management.
Do you it will be hard for noobs?

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

If you really had to ask this question you’re not ready to run a production server.

• @Clouvider said:
    If you really had to ask this question you’re not ready to run a production server.

I agree...

@folom what's keeping you from getting a cheap box somewhere for a month and try to set it up? the price of your morning coffee?

it's not hard but it requires time and will. the knowledge won't come to you over night ;-)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited August 2018

@folom said:
    I really want to manage my own server. You know full managed services costs around 30-60 usd per month. So I dont want to pay it. But at least i'd like to do minimum required work for vps server management.
    Do you it will be hard for noobs?

The key is lots of practice. So get a cheap test VPS and start playing around with a test site and not jumping into deep end with live production site. A cloud vps which has snapshot backup/restores is also nice i.e. DigitalOcean and Linode (Linode has faster snapshot/restore speeds but DO allows more concurrent manual snapshots). So you can do tests, snapshot, mess up, restore from snapshot. Rinse and repeat until you get comfortable with the whole management process. This way you won't fear messing up and learn alot in the process of messing up :)

That's how I learn, start with local VirtualBOX CentOS/Ubuntu guest OSes as it has snapshot backup/restore for testing stuff and learning. Then graduating to test VPS. Then finally to live production VPSes/dedicated.

HTH

Thanked by 3ferri DanSummer beagle
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2018

Defends actually.

There are generally two kind of people.

One that can catch things quickly OR try hard enough that they learn through trial & error.

Another is those who can't understand anything even if he's told in steps OR have no desire to learn.

You don't wanna be the latter kind.

• If you have no experience then don’t look at having a server in a production environment, there’s a reason server management is costly.

Start off small with a test server and gain a good amount of knowledge before you start having servers in production.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Get a LES or two and practice on.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • If you don't have technical knowledge and don't know how to operate, it's hard to you. That's all.

• If you are running single specific app like Wordpress, there are tons of guides on the web to keep a safe and secure web server. DO have a ton of content, you can learn the basics. Enough to keep your Wordpress etc running flawlessly.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

If you really want to learn, take a server with a company that offers managed services that you can use ad-hock

• Depends on what you really want to do with a server. If you are talking regular server admin work, then yes, there is a bit of a learning curve, but it is super easy. One service I use for simple services like wordpress is https://runcloud.io/ and it has worked great for me. Other scenarios where I have enterprise applications (i.e. JIRA), I either have it on my own server and I manage it with support from the vendor (i.e. Atlassian) or have a managed dedicated server to offset the overhead for maintenance.

• Hire some Indian and you're good to go

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@Golbinex said:
    Hire some Indian and you're good to go

That's discriminatory.

• I see a lot of arrogant people in here. He just asked a simple question. You can answer it might be hard if you are not willing to spend time learning --- But what's with the sarcastic tone? Someone has to start somewhere.

Thanked by 1torrbox
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Dedicadude said:
    I see a lot of arrogant people in here. He just asked a simple question. You can answer it might be hard if you are not willing to spend time learning --- But what's with the sarcastic tone? Someone has to start somewhere.

And I see someone who got a lot of help here and now turns nasty because not everyone gets everything (and limitless) he wishes here.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Personally, go for a small managed VPS where you get support, you will learn quite a bit or look at server management companies like PSM, for $29 a month they will help you solve any issues. Once your confident you can then drop the support.

• It's hard to figure everything out, but it's not hard per se. Most important is to install updates regularly and to never leave a service unconfigured (or configured badly).

• @Dedicadude said:
    I see a lot of arrogant people in here. He just asked a simple question. You can answer it might be hard if you are not willing to spend time learning --- But what's with the sarcastic tone? Someone has to start somewhere.

Are you here to mock other people's honest answers? Most of people said "Yes, it's too hard" in different words. That is not being arrogant. Perhaps rude, but not arrogant.

@folom
    Use Google, Create a few instances in DO/Vultr/Linode, try it manage the server security a few times, then make a decision to either give up or continue trying.

• DedicadudeDedicadude Member
    edited August 2018

@jsg said:

@Dedicadude said:

And I see someone who got a lot of help here and now turns nasty because not everyone gets everything (and limitless) he wishes here.

I see. Posting less than 20 comments in total means a lot to some people. Why are you keep attacking me personally? If you want me to stop asking just say so. Don't reply to me in every thread. Is it wrong that I backed up this poor OP? Has he done anything wrong by asking a basic question that you guys need to look down on him? I know there are many pros in here but please don't act like you make more money than Bezos.

@vovler said:

@Dedicadude said:

Are you here to mock other people's honest answers? Most of people said "Yes, it's too hard" in different words. That is not being arrogant. Perhaps rude, but not arrogant.

Rude is certainly not a positive word either but whatever floats your boat dude. I'm outta here!

Thanked by 2torrbox yongsiklee
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2018

@Dedicadude said:
    I see. Posting less than 20 comments in total means a lot to some people. Why are you keep attacking me personally? If you want me to stop asking just say so. Don't reply to me in every thread. Is it wrong that I backed up this poor OP? Has he done anything wrong by asking a basic question that you guys need to look down on him? I know there are many pros in here but please don't act like you make more money than Bezos.

Try your games with someone else. I did NOT in any way act maliciously against OP. All I had done so far was to - constructively! - provide a link to your thread because I thought the answeres there might be helpful for him.

As for you: you got a lot of help and as soon as some stopped to play your game you turned nasty and belittled the providers here.

• Thanked by 1vovler
  • LeeLee Veteran

Dedicadude said: e a lot of arrogant people in here. He just asked a simple question. You can answer it might be hard if you are not willing to spend time learning --- But what's with the sarcastic tone? Someone has to start somewhere.

Well ok, however, this is his 3rd thread on the subject I think.

People are really trying to help him but you can't help someone who is not listening, he isn't. Hence people start getting sarcastic and feel like it's going nowhere.

Had he come along and said I just want to learn and find somewhere to start it would have gotten a better response.

His story is that he has a WP site with x thousand visitors per day on a shared host. He has not actual complaints and it works fine but he wanted to move to a VPS with a free control panel as he has no clue how to manage a VPS.

Given his complete lack of knowledge, people are rightly trying to discourage him from making the wrong decision resulting in impending disaster.

There has been good advice over three threads but like I say he does not appear to be listening too much. Think he just wanted some people to spur him on and say go for it, the wrong site for that.