Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raid level on storage servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raid level on storage servers

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
edited August 2018 in General

Follow up on this post in introducing-lowendstorage-win-a-comprehensive-list-of-lowend-storage-vps-providers

Nice list, what about the RAID layer?

Maybe. Not sure if people really care for the most part as long as it's redundant (RAID1, 10, 6, etc.). At some point the line has to be drawn of how much is too much information on the +page -- frankly I think it's already too much and needs slimming down somehow.

Are you one who likes to create your own redundancy with multiple locations and keep each location as cheap as possible.
Or do you keep the number of locations at a "minimum" and chose a "safer" setup using raid on each location?

Please discuss in small groups why you prefer raid on storage/backup servers or not.

My own personal opinion is that I only do single disk on desktops/laptops.
Servers, be it production or backup, always raid (one way or another).

Raid a necessity?
  1. Is raid a necessity for storage servers?40 votes
    1. Yes!
      62.50%
    2. No!
      37.50%

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Why not RAID5? Do you think that you not gonna replace that 1 faulty drive in time and loose your data?

Alternatives to RAID:

JBOD
    LizardFS

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

Even though I voted yes, I'd say that it'll heavily depend on your budget.

I'd say the options could have been:
    1) at least raid1 in multiple locations
    2) no raid in multiple locations
    3) at least raid1 in a single location
    4) no raid in a single location
    5) raid0 in a single location (aka: kamikaze)

I'm a personal fan of number 1, which is the option I'm currently using at this time.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:
    Why not RAID5? Do you think that you not gonna replace that 1 faulty drive in time and loose your data?

Alternatives to RAID:

JBOD
    LizardFS

I take it you require some sort of raid when you buy a storage VPS/dedi from another provider?

• @mikho said:

@LTniger said:

LizardFS

Seems to be playing resonably nice so far across a Zerotier VPN although the latency between sites is around 5ms.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

@HBAndrei said:
    Even though I voted yes, I'd say that it'll heavily depend on your budget.

I'd say the options could have been:
    1) at least raid1 in multiple locations
    2) no raid in multiple locations
    3) at least raid1 in a single location
    4) no raid in a single location
    5) raid0 in a single location (aka: kamikaze)

I'm a personal fan of number 1, which is the option I'm currently using at this time.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have used the original post as a notepad for my thoughts. :)

The options you specify are more describing of what I’m asking about.

I see topics here from users who are looking for 1 disk dedis to use as backup servers.
    I wouldn’t dare to use a single disk like that.
    Not as much of losing that location/data, more of the work to install, configure and replicate everything back there when it comes back online (with a fresh disc)

I might be stepping on thin ice but I also raise my eyebrowse on some storage offers where the price per TB is (in my eyes) way to low to be sustainable. Unless running on single disks.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

YOLO RAID is the only way to go.

I'd assume a lot of people are using low end storage VPS's as the sole storage location for data, so probably good to have some level of redundancy in there. They should back up - but they probably won't.

• To myself, I never use any vps, whatever raid -5 or raid-10 , as the sole storage location for data, so I dont care whether my storage vps is raid-10 or not. I 'd rather paying for more cheap storage VPSs than paying for an expensive raid VPS

Thanked by 1DarkCarnage
  • CrelingCreling Member
    edited August 2018

To myself, I never use any vps, whatever raid -5 or raid-10 , as the sole storage location for data, so I dont care whether my storage vps is raid-10 or not. I 'd rather paying for more cheap storage VPSs than paying for only one expensive raid VPS. I think a double-copy is much more reliable than any raid (of course they shouldnt be from the same hosting provider)

• There isn't a right or wrong answer here. It totally depends on your use and how important that data is for you. I've had customers that needed a lot of storage, but didn't care if they lost the data as they could restore it from backup or the data was rotated out in a very short period of time. For them JBOD was the way to go.

For backup servers, where you or your customers could potentially need data at any time I don't know why you wouldn't use at the very least RAID 5. Telling a customer that you don't have the data that they need because you had a drive fail and you lost all your backup data isn't great service. We use RAID 6. We take a hit on the amount of space but we want to be able to recover from a drive failure without worrying that we might lose another drive during the rebuild and lose everything.

Thanked by 1DarkCarnage