Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting dedicated server with VPS for personal use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting dedicated server with VPS for personal use?

I have 3-4 VPS spread across various providers. I am looking to consolidate them on one dedicated server. I am new to it need some guidance.

Can someone guide me what kind of management tool i need to create VPS? I heard SolusVM & Proxmox? Proxmox good enough?

Do i need to purchase additional IPv4 addresses along with dedicated server from providers? All VPS need to be publicly accessible.

What kind of server config. would you suggest? Just need to run some RubyOnRails web-app, Wordpress websites with very low traffic, probably 200 - 400 page views in a day. And Plesk Onyx CP.

Any offers for a good low-end dedicated servers, around $15?

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Forget Solus and get virtualizor.

Kimsufi. (If your lucky)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

dipesh_batheja said: Any offers for a good low-end dedicated servers, around $15?

Dedicated server would cost more that that unless you're talking about something like a Raspberry Pi, or some ultra low power (probably arm based) server.

Presumably you need an x86 based CPU, so the lowest power option is probably something like an Atom, which will use at least 30 watts at idle.

In most of Europe, you're looking at electricity cost of around 4 EUR /month without cooling, and upto 8 EUR /month with cooling.

USA and any other place with cheap power, it could be less than half that.

But any half decent performing Atom would be newish and therefore cost a fair bit (500 EUR?) and so no one would want to rent it at a price that would take 3-5 years to recoup.

If you increase your budget to about $25, you open up the possibility a lot more. Most single socket (including old) servers will not use more than 10 EUR /month in power, and older hardware is practically free. You could actually get a fairly reasonable machine then.

The $15 is difficult when you also need to factor in additional IPs and bandwidth. Let alone the other overheads and host's profit margins.

If you need 4 VPS on the node, all publicly accessible, then you need at least 5 IPs. These days, I think the price per IP needs to be at least $1 for any kind of sustainability. You could find cheaper IPs for sure, but I wouldn't count on getting it for much longer.

You could probably find something like an old Core2Quad, Core2Duo, i3 or i5 CPU for around $25, with 1 disk, 5IPs and a modest amount of bandwidth (1TB?).

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2018
    • For such low traffic, some offers from WSI in US or Kimsufi and Scaleway on EU, would be fine. If you raise a little your budget, try Hetzner if in Europe.

• Now, it would be OK to use a low end dedi for 4-5 vps, but have in mind that you MUST have a disaster plan, aka, backups in case of failure (HDD etc.). Of course, backups are mandatory even if you stay with your vps plan on several providers. So, add to the cost one or, better, two different providers for your backups.

• Use Proxmox. Especially for personal usage, is one of the most mature and solid virtualization systems out there. You can even use LXC containers in your proxmox panel if the vps you make are for your usage and administrating (of course, there is also the KVM solution on proxmox).

• If you want dedicated ipv4 for each of the vps, then, you have to buy additional addresses. But if your apps can work with NAT and port forwarding, then, you can setup a NAT environment for each vps and forward the ports you need. If you want public access via domain name, it is even easier. Use nginx as reverse proxy and you won't even understand the lack of additional ipv4. The only issue will rise if you want different email server in each vps, but this also can be partialy resolved.

• Any NAT vps can run any control panel, as Plex Onyx. Just do the right port forwarding and you will be OK.

Again, in any environment you have, keep offline backups or, sooner or later, you will be - sorry!

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

We can offer a Celeron J1900 (4 x 2 GHz), 8 GB DDR3 and 5 IPv4 for 20€ per month.

https://gt-host.de/index.php?page=item_addons&id=156

Located in Germany and DDoS Protected by Voxility.

• Look at novadedi.com or better its discord channel

• Not sure but could a resource pool be of a cheaper budget? This way you have all vps in one place but usually still have adequate cpu etc (ofc not fully dedicated this way)

• imokimok Member
    edited August 2018

GoMach5 @GM5 can have something for you, not at $15 but one of the cheapest servers I have comes from them.

I have a Dual L5420 running 4 VMs using Proxmox.

• Thanks everyone for the response.

Based on suggestions I came across https://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france and trying their Atom C2750/8GB RAM/128GB SSD . But seems like their response time to support requests is notoriously slow, like more than 10hrs! Is this the case with other providers like Kimsufi, Hetzner? With VPSs i really never needed to contact support much and generally the responses with my current providers is very good.

Thanks

Dipesh Batheja

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

OneProvider is a reseller, the support is meh, not that fast.
    Maybe get a Kimsufi and put Proxmox on it? or get a Hetzner?

Hetzner is the best you can get performance/price and support ratio.

Thanked by 1pxhaxor
  • Vouching for hetzner. 10/10 price & support.