Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dell or SuperMicro Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dell or SuperMicro Servers

BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

If all specs were the same as well as cost which one would you pick and why?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2018

SuperMicro pretty much because I don't like the Dell DRAC.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2018

Whichever provides better after-service (Onsite same day service calls/warranty replacements etc).

• jlayjlay Member
    edited August 2018

Probably Dell. I manage thousands of them at work and see (proportionally) lower failure rates compared to the dozens of Supermicros I've worked with. I've also heard enough general gripes from my peers about Supermicro, that I don't think I'd buy them in this situation.

Not a completely fair comparison as we have a partnership with Dell, and the Supermicro stuff was personal use, but neither is this situation - normally Dell probably costs more and gives more support I suspect. I don't really have a need for that past just honoring a warranty.

• RizRiz Member

Dell generally runs Enterprises, but with apps shifting to be more distributed, there isn't much difference if your application can sustain failure.

Dell can run anywhere from a 2x-10x in cost as well, which leaves plenty on the table.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:

And their sales. Bleh. Disgusting.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

DRAC is trash, I'd go SuperMicro.

• @MikeA said:

I agree with this. Supermicro is all we get.

• With all the same spec and price, the differences are only their KVM. 1 vote for SuperMicro, Dell iDRAC is really shit.

• edited August 2018

Shameless plug since I'm downsizing the home lab....., I have a Supermicro mATX X9SCL-F Mobo (this board has IPMI), Intel E3-1220L SR070, and 16GB ECC DDR3 RAM for sale if anyone is interested :)

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

+1 for Supermicro

• I'd vote SuperMicro, but their "support" is bad joke. I contacted them 3x and was always treated like "we do not provide support to end customers, contact your vendor". WTF? I got it from Amazon, but how can they help me?

• trvztrvz Member

I'd vote SuperMicro, but their "support" is bad joke. I contacted them 3x and was always treated like "we do not provide support to end customers, contact your vendor". WTF? I got it from Amazon, but how can they help me?

Contacted Supermicro once via their online form, got the correct solution within minutes.

However, HP beats all.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • Supermicro > *

• RizRiz Member

@Jarry said:
    I'd vote SuperMicro, but their "support" is bad joke. I contacted them 3x and was always treated like "we do not provide support to end customers, contact your vendor". WTF? I got it from Amazon, but how can they help me?

I've had no problem with them swapping boards on defects, and support has always been very helpful.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

+1 for SuperMicro, but Dell is also a decent choice.

• I use mostly dell because of the price tbh and cheaper parts IMO.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

We use SuperMicro but had been contacted by Dell. So I had them quote me out what I was fixing to order from Supermicro and it was almost triple the cost. I was like the Name is not worth that much IMO.

Never been a fan of the Idrac I have had issue after Issue with the few Dells that I do have that I picked up at an auction.

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2018

We normally use a mix of HP servers, Dell Servers, IBM servers and supermicro servers.

Out of all of them we usually prefer HP's iLO more than the rest.

• quicksilver03quicksilver03 Member
    edited August 2018

At work we've been using Dell for the last 5 years, but the quotes we're getting these days are outrageously high (RAM and disks are 2x~3x of the price we can find elsewhere) so we're really thinking about SuperMicro. Only thing is, our volumes are probably too low to get good prices as a new customer.

• We use different brands for different things. Our HPCC is built with supermicro nodes because their twins are amazing value. We tend to use HP for everything else because iLO is a bajillion times better than iDrac. Having said this the head nodes for the HPCC are Dell because they are cheaper... Different strokes for different folks.... We do also still have an NT 4 mitsubishi apricot running our library... Long story so for longevity mistsubishi 😂