Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

installing proxmox on vps as a node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

installing proxmox on vps as a node

hi guys

i have a question. if i sign up for a vps plan and setup proxmox on it and connect it as a node to my main cluster, can i then use it to create containers or vms ? assuming that nested virtualization is not enabled on the vps.

Comments

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2018

If you install proxmox on a KVM vps, you can use it only to create LXC containers if it has not nested virtualization enabled on the node. It is possible to create VMs if you uncheck the virtualization option, but the performance will be terrible. If the vps that will be used as node is Openvz or other container, you cannot install proxmox.
    Also, I think you cannot use it on a cluster, because cluster nodes have to be installed on a LAN with same ip range and not be connected thru internet.

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

If the VPS is KVM or XEN HVM it should be possible. If its OpenVZ, Xen PV or some other kind of user space virtualization then no.

Thanked by 1elliotwilliams
  • @jvnadr said:
    If you install proxmox on a vps, you can use it only to create LXC containers if it has not nested virtualization enabled on the node. It is possible to create VMs if you uncheck the virtualization option, but the performance will be terrible.
    Also, I think you cannot use it on a cluster, because cluster nodes have to be installed on a LAN with same ip range and not be connected thru internet.

thanks for the reply..... it seems to contradict what @CrossBox says

• BTW, if proxmox is used on a kvm vps for create lxc containers, it will work like a charm.

• elliotwilliams said: thanks for the reply..... it seems to contradict what @CrossBox says

Ah, I added that also, it can be installed only on KVM or XEN HvM, not LXC or OpenVZ vps...

• thanks guys. appreciate it.