Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for small kvm vps for pihole
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for small kvm vps for pihole

as the title says, i am looking for a small vps, 512mb to run pihole

Comments

• try digital ocean,vultr,ovh

• BuyVM

• I AM looking foto a good LET deal

• Budget?

• That's 192MB RAM, op asked for 512MB. You should have linked to the $15/yr minus $5 deal Virmach posted within the last week.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

What country? Better to be closer to you.

• bergenhostingbergenhosting Member
    edited August 2018

We do offer KVM/512MB/15GB for $12/y with code F1ROJDRU37

https://bergenhosting.com/plans/spe

• @TimboJones said:

That's 192MB RAM, op asked for 512MB. You should have linked to the $15/yr minus $5 deal Virmach posted within the last week.

192MB is more than enough for pihole...

Thanked by 2PHDan NanoG6
  • i had one with 256mb, with a list of 1.7 million its was slowing down a lot

• pihole 4.0 doesn't run on openvz, due to its new dnsmasq
    I have a virmach with pihole, 256mb, no swap, but its slow when using a large list

• https://www.arubacloud.com has 1Gb RAM servers for €1.00 per month.

• somebody must have setup free servers online

• @sandoz said:
    i had one with 256mb, with a list of 1.7 million its was slowing down a lot

1.7 million will be slow on most things. I found I only needed around 100k-125k with no discernible difference in blocking.

• @sandoz said:
    pihole 4.0 doesn't run on openvz, due to its new dnsmasq
    I have a virmach with pihole, 256mb, no swap, but its slow when using a large list

Do you have info on that? openvz would have an impact on firewall, not DNS. They've been using dnsmasq for years, they are just more integrated now.

• @TimboJones said:

@sandoz said:

Do you have info on that? openvz would have an impact on firewall, not DNS. They've been using dnsmasq for years, they are just more integrated now.

pihole 4.0 uses a newer version of dnsmasq, maybe it's not ovz compatible due to too old kernel.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2018

@lemon said:

@TimboJones said:

@sandoz said:

pihole 4.0 uses a newer version of dnsmasq, maybe it's not ovz compatible due to too old kernel.

Again, do you have any information on that? That doesn't compute with one of my setups that is working. I've also never come across any blog posts by pi-hole guys talking about openvz or mentioned in the changes to v4. A quick google on dnsmasq and openvz had years old posts, that were permission issues with workarounds. So I don't really know what you're talking about or what exactly isn't working.

Tested first:
    Pi-hole Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.3-181-ga7e7680) Web Interface Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.2.1-195-g4355bde) FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-5ecab0a)

Updated to latest, still works:
    Pi-hole Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.3-414-g169a428) Web Interface Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.2.1-305-g070f925) FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-3e40158)

Then I read pi-hole's v4 release, and did a checkout of master. Here is the current version:
    Pi-hole Version v4.0 Web Interface Version v4.0 FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-3e40158)

[root@pi ~]# hostnamectl
       Static hostname: pi.xxxxxx.net
             Icon name: computer-container
               Chassis: container
            Machine ID: 60f02f4c0c4d47e68bae5bbf1b35ece7
               Boot ID: f8526c4588894e0ab52b4edd1a29f36e
        Virtualization: openvz
      Operating System: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
           CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:centos:centos:7
                Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-49-pve
          Architecture: x86-64

[root@pi pihole]# cat blacklist.txt
        justtesting.com

If the image (https://ibb.co/dO5WTK) doesn't show up, its basically just the Query log showing that when I pinged "justtesting.com", it was blocked by pi-hole, along with a bunch of Microsoft telemetry blocks from the default block lists.

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • If you're talking about running the new pi-hole Docker image they now support, that would have an openvz issue. But that's not DNSmasq and that's not pi-hole, that's just the platform.

• @TimboJones said:

@lemon said:

@TimboJones said:

@sandoz said:

Again, do you have any information on that? That doesn't compute with one of my setups that is working. I've also never come across any blog posts by pi-hole guys talking about openvz or mentioned in the changes to v4. A quick google on dnsmasq and openvz had years old posts, that were permission issues with workarounds. So I don't really know what you're talking about or what exactly isn't working.

Tested first:
    Pi-hole Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.3-181-ga7e7680) Web Interface Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.2.1-195-g4355bde) FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-5ecab0a)

Updated to latest, still works:
    Pi-hole Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.3-414-g169a428) Web Interface Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.2.1-305-g070f925) FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-3e40158)

Then I read pi-hole's v4 release, and did a checkout of master. Here is the current version:
    Pi-hole Version v4.0 Web Interface Version v4.0 FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-3e40158)

[root@pi ~]# hostnamectl
    Static hostname: pi.xxxxxx.net
    Icon name: computer-container
    Chassis: container
    Machine ID: 60f02f4c0c4d47e68bae5bbf1b35ece7
    Boot ID: f8526c4588894e0ab52b4edd1a29f36e
    Virtualization: openvz
    Operating System: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
    CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:centos:centos:7
    Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-49-pve
    Architecture: x86-64

[root@pi pihole]# cat blacklist.txt
    justtesting.com

If the image (https://ibb.co/dO5WTK) doesn't show up, its basically just the Query log showing that when I pinged "justtesting.com", it was blocked by pi-hole, along with a bunch of Microsoft telemetry blocks from the default block lists.

do you know the meaning of the word 'maybe' ?

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2018

Do you know what a yes or no question is? Was just looking for a discussion link, which I found. This is a place to seek help and information after all. So far, it's looking like a permissions issue.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • lemonlemon Member
    edited August 2018

@TimboJones said:

Do you know what a yes or no question is? Was just looking for a discussion link, which I found. This is a place to seek help and information after all. So far, it's looking like a permissions issue.

You, sir, are doomed.

• @lemon said:

@TimboJones said:

You, sir, are doomed.

Great, another Jehovah's Witness on the Internet.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited August 2018

I love the word pihole. I laugh everytime lol

• Yeah, pretty disappointed by the changes their devs are making. Probably won't be doing much with pihole in the future. Limited knowledge and testing by them and that's bad when they keep adding features. It's just gotten worse for Centos and they are Ubuntu/pi centric, more now than before.

I don't know why they made a change to the capabilities or starting as pihole instead of root. I just removed the Linux capabilities and told it to run as root and it's working. So them adding shit to break working stuff is the hint things are just going further off the rails and will continue to be hacky and amateur for a while. When I saw a request for $100k in funding, I laughed so hard.