Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6onlyhosting: 2.5 CHF IPv6-only 1GB KVM in Switzerland
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6onlyhosting: 2.5 CHF IPv6-only 1GB KVM in Switzerland

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited August 2018 in Providers

Here's a fun little outfit with an absolutely adorable website.

They provide IPv6-only KVMs in Switzerland, starting from 2.5 CHF (~2.51 USD) for 1 core, 1 GB RAM, 10 GB SSD. Network is unmetered fair use.

By default a single IPv6 is assigned, but a /64 can be provided for free on request. rDNS (PTR) can be set. Outgoing IPv4 access is possible via NAT64. I was surprised and pleased to see that the Devuan logo is prominently shown among the technologies used, and Devuan itself is available from the get-go as a distro option.

I have not personally used their service, but I contacted the support to find out some of the details above, and the reply was very quick and friendly. If anyone buys this, do share your review!

Oh and this seems to be their actual DC:

Comments

• NEEEEEEEEEEEED

yum yum yum

(more info: https://ungleich.ch/en-us/cms/ )

• And i don‘t have IPv6 and can‘t even use their normal VM plans :/

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Would be cool if they had an inbound v4 ssh proxy, for those of us with ISPs who are still dragging their asses on deploying v6.

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam
  • @Harambe said:

Would be cool if they had an inbound v4 ssh proxy, for those of us with ISPs who are still dragging their asses on deploying v6.

I use a jump box in this scenario, works nicely and you can use tmux or screen to make things easier.

• @Harambe said:

There's always tunnelbroker.net. You can deploy this on your router if you want.

• For max. config, 48 cores, 200GB RAM and 2000GB SSD, it's 1644.0 CHF/month...

• love their website

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

They should also offer smaller, annually vps

• Why not to add one IPv4 for 1-2CHF and increase sales?

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • YuraYura Member

@Hukin said:
    Why not to add one IPv4 for 1-2CHF and increase sales?

Maybe something to do with them being called IPv6onlyhosting.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Hukin said: Why not to add one IPv4 for 1-2CHF and increase sales?

As it says on the page:

STILL NEED IPV4 ADDRESSES?
    At datacenterlight.ch ALL VMs are with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, and the prices are still very affordable. Check it now!

Same VM with an IPv4 will cost 8 CHF more.

• For websites, IPv6 only is enough since we have Cloudflare.

• rm_ said: As it says on the page

But.. 8 CHF for one IPv4? Switzerland not such a exotic location for 6,80 EUR per IP.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited August 2018

Yep but you get a Swiss IP, made of pure dental gold and fine chocolate, entirely crafted with green hydroelectricity from the mountains.

It's the IP space of the rich bourgeoisie.

• Just purchased one (1GB plan). Great disk IO and excellent network performance (about 500Mbps bandwidth). But their VM can't re-install/change OS/upgrade plan...

• Shot2 said: Yep but you get a Swiss IP, made of pure dental gold and fine chocolate, entirely crafted with green hydroelectricity from the mountains.

Chocoweb said: But their VM can't re-install/change OS/upgrade plan...

This ^

• hzrhzr Member

Chocoweb said: Just purchased one (1GB plan). Great disk IO and excellent network performance (about 500Mbps bandwidth). But their VM can't re-install/change OS/upgrade plan...

Why would you ever want to change off devuan

• Have also signed up, very interested to see how well the Internet works with NAT64...

Sign up was quick and easy, but you need a card to pay. Their system requires you to upload a SSH key for access to your VM, so no plain text passwords getting mailed around, which is nice.

A couple of words of caution -

• As noted above - control panel is quite limited - no reboot/shutdown / re-install options
    • do not click 'Terminate VM' in their control panel - this isn't shutdown it will destroy your VM entirely.
    • They put their own SSH key in root's .authorized_keys and it seems to pop back up if you remove it
    • If you get a /64 routed to you this is on a separate interface which doesn't seem to work via their NAT64 gateway (ie your /64 cannot reach the IPv4 Internet via their NAT64 gateway - I've not confirmed this with them yet but seems to be the case.

Support has been responsive, however I'm still waiting on a refund they agreed to after I fell afoul of the 'Terminate VM' issue above.

Thanked by 2angstrom rm_

tehdan said: They put their own SSH key in root's .authorized_keys and it seems to pop back up if you remove it

That would be a deal breaker for me. This isn't OpenVZ. Did you try to figure out what adds it? Any strange processes running, or anything in init-scripts (/etc/rc.local would be the first place to check; oh, and crontab).

tehdan said: If you get a /64 routed to you this is on a separate interface which doesn't seem to work via their NAT64 gateway (ie your /64 cannot reach the IPv4 Internet via their NAT64 gateway

If you also keep the IP which can access NAT64, it is trivial to add a specific route via interface to the NAT64 range so that it uses the right interface and IP for connecting.

• @rm_ said:

tehdan said: They put their own SSH key in root's .authorized_keys and it seems to pop back up if you remove it

That would be a deal breaker for me. This isn't OpenVZ. Did you try to figure out what adds it? Any strange processes running, or anything in init-scripts (/etc/rc.local would be the first place to check; oh, and crontab).

tehdan said: If you get a /64 routed to you this is on a separate interface which doesn't seem to work via their NAT64 gateway (ie your /64 cannot reach the IPv4 Internet via their NAT64 gateway

If you also keep the IP which can access NAT64, it is trivial to add a specific route via interface to the NAT64 range so that it uses the right interface and IP for connecting.

Their SSH Key is for server initialization and SSH Key management, I can see their operation log in bash_history...

edited August 2018

Chocoweb said: Their SSH Key is for server initialization and SSH Key management, I can see their operation log in bash_history...

This is all possible without installing a permanent backdoor. Like, say... done on all other hosts. Only OVH has been shipping their key by default on servers, but you can remove it and it won't be auto-reinstalled.

Chocoweb said: server initialization

Prepare the bootable image before it even boots for the first time.

Chocoweb said: SSH Key management

Stop the VM, mount FS, add/remove keys as user requested, start the VM.

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited August 2018

@rm_ said:

They are using OpenNebula, and it looks like this is a part of its startup scripts in /etc/one-context.d (specifically /etc/one-context.d/loc-22-ssh_public_key) reinsert the key at boot. I assume it also loads your own keys if/when you change them in the control panel so I didn't want to just disable it. For now I'm just removing their key via /etc/rc.local.

It all sounds a bit dodgy but I assume that OpenNebula isn't designed with reselling in mind and that a global root SSH key seemed like a good idea at the time :)

Thanked by 2rm_ xms
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2018

A lot of Xen based cloud systems rely on scripts on the VM to confirm things are online when they are booted. Especially systems like AppLogic, OpenNebula, OpenStack (maybe) and a few others. This is auto inserted at every boot time and some provide a specialized ssh console setup for accessing the server which likely uses the key. Most of these platforms were made more for enterprise based deployments also and the orchestrator used by the HV depending on what platform you are using can also take advantage of this access to deploy certain changes to the VMs in real time.

The keys have a reason and while it may seem like its to be able to just access your server at a whim, its really more for the platform to be able to have access to confirm certain changes are made to the VM when requested by the panel / orchestrator.

Cheer!