Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Affordable KVM VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Affordable KVM VPS

Heyo, I'm looking for an affordable KVM VPS. That being said, I cannot have restrictions on the occasional full CPU allocation usage as the programs I run are mostly fairly heavy on CPU and RAM usage.

I am looking for:
12GB RAM
100GB HDD
4 core processor/8 thread
1Gbit uplink

I'd really like to keep this on the cost-efficient side until I can get my team in order and our bylaws posted. Please let me know your offer or even link me to a provider that might be worth taking a look at. Thanks!!!

Comments

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Which location?

If Germany is ok, take a look at Hetzner and netcup.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Yeah you can't beat a Hetzner auction dedi for this. Anyway you're best off with a dedi rather than a VPS, in whatever location pretty much.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • True. I apologize for not clarifying, this must be hosting in the United States.

• If that's just for geo-latency reasons and you can also consider Canada, OVH BHS (Quebec) is a good place to look. See checkservers.ovh for availability.

• Take a look at https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/custom_dedicated/ They are located in the US and have some pretty cheap dedicated servers which might satisfy your needs.

• Take a look at wishosting.com. They offer unlimited CPU meaning that you can hammer the CPU anytime you want. You can also purchase two packages of the same type and combine them into one big VPS. For example

KVM HDD Plus

2x AMD Opteron 6128 vCPU - ~1382 passmark
    8GB ECC RAM
    200GB HDD RAID-1 (not the speed king, but okay for sporadic usage)
    1 IPv4
    France
    $6.99

2x KVM HDD (rare package, not always 2 are available)

2x Xeon E5606 vCPU - ~1728 passmark
    12GB ECC RAM
    240GB HDD RAID-1 (not the speed king, but okay for sporadic usage)
    2 IPv4
    France
    $11.98

KVM HDD Plus II

2x Xeon E5-2670 - ~3148 passmark
    8GB ECC RAM
    300GB HDD RAID-1 (decent speeds)
    1 IPv4
    Both France & Canada (looks like out of stock in France right now)
    $8.99

...and a performance beast - KVM SSD Plus LA

4x Xeon E5-2650 - ~5212 passmark
    16GB ECC RAM
    80GB SSD
    1 IPv4
    Los Angeles
    $15.99

I also see a disproportion in your requirements. You are asking for 4(8) CPU combined with 12GB RAM. A reasonable node has 128GB RAM and 8(16)/16(32) cores. I guess that you got used to providers that sell /fake/ cores to make the offer more appealing. They just split a core/thread to few vCPUs. Wishosting sometimes (depending on package) oversells the CPU to make most out of it, but you can always expect to have access to one physical core per 2vCPU (1vCPU - 1 thread). If you don't want to get /fake/ cores you should roughly get 1 vCPU per 4-8GB RAM. Assigning actual 4(8) cores to a 12GB VM makes no sense, unless those VM run on CPU optimized node, but those usually cost way more which is guess is not what you are looking for. Ref plug: If you find what I said helpful you can use ref link in my signature (lmao).

• @v3ng said:
    Which location?

If Germany is ok, take a look at Hetzner and netcup.

Ended up doing this, got dedicated server with fairly high score for $24ish a month. Wish it wasn't in Poland but I can overlook that at this price.