Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netflix to show ads during binge watching - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netflix to show ads during binge watching

2»

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@pike said:

@Nekki said:
    So if you stop watching ad supported TV, and you stop paying for Netflix and Amazon, who’s going to produce the content for your Plex servers in a few years time?

ARD & ZDF

Unlikely.

• pikepike Veteran

@Nekki said:
    Unlikely.

As long as they keep doing documentaries and creating new Tatort Münster episodes from time to time I'm happy with them. That's the least one can expect for 17,50€/month.

• Relax, binge watchers. Netflix is not adding commercials.

Netflix is setting the record straight: It's not adding commercials.
    It is testing out video promotions between episodes and movies. They can be skipped.

The popular streaming service quietly started testing the videos this week.

In response, some users wrote on Reddit that they saw a video between episodes but weren't able to skip it. Others said they also got served with a video, but spotted a "skip" button. Many threatened to quit Netflix if the company adds commercials.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/18/technology/business/netflix-video-promotions/index.html

• @Weblogics said:
    Relax, binge watchers. Netflix is not adding commercials.

Netflix is setting the record straight: It's not adding commercials.
    It is testing out video promotions between episodes and movies. They can be skipped.

The popular streaming service quietly started testing the videos this week.

In response, some users wrote on Reddit that they saw a video between episodes but weren't able to skip it. Others said they also got served with a video, but spotted a "skip" button. Many threatened to quit Netflix if the company adds commercials.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/18/technology/business/netflix-video-promotions/index.html

As I said earlier:
    When binge watching a series I don't wanna have to click "skip" when sitting on my sofa watching Flix on TV nor would I want to do that when watching it on pc. Just unnecessary. If you can globally in the settings choose to show or not show ads that's fine by me but I wouldn't want this disruption during binge watching..

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • I'm gonna continue torrenting even extra harder.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Weblogics said: Netflix is setting the record straight: It's not adding commercials. It is testing out video promotions between episodes and movies. They can be skipped.

Isn't that still a commercial though?

• Wow. I have a subscription from Sri Lanka. And they had this since day 1.
    Always shows ads between episodes.

• It's time to look for new Linux ISO to download.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 2018

They just increased the price again.

Now they want to show ads. Talk about Double Dip*.

*To successfully pleasure both holes during intercourse.

• @JohnMiller92 said:

Weblogics said: Netflix is setting the record straight: It's not adding commercials. It is testing out video promotions between episodes and movies. They can be skipped.

I'm just the messenger to share news article url. Up to you (and other)s to decide if this a commercial or not.

• This is not surprising, Netflix is bleeding cash

• @Weblogics said:

@JohnMiller92 said:

Weblogics said: Netflix is setting the record straight: It's not adding commercials. It is testing out video promotions between episodes and movies. They can be skipped.

I'm just the messenger to share news article url. Up to you (and other)s to decide if this a commercial or not.

IMO, it's a commercial because they will profit off it (regardless if the user skips it).

• @Chuck said:
    Now they want to show ads. Talk about Double Dip*.

*To successfully pleasure both holes during intercourse.

I love the fact that you saw the need to explain what a "double dip" is ^^

• HxxxHxxx Member

I guess it would be like Hulu in the sense of having 2 type of subscriptions one with ads the other one which is more expensive, without ads.

I'm all in for paying more for not having ads. I understand where they are coming from. Netflix has a lot of debt, basically another amazon not doing "profit".

• Well.. my iso dont have ads..

• edited August 2018

@Ympker said:
    Seems like I will have to cancel and go back to the roots. I pay for Netflix to be able to watch good shows and without advertisment (even if only for their shows it interrupts binge watching). reddit.com/r/netflix is full with posts about this. How do you (as a netflix subscriber) feel about this move?

Lots of people say they will cancel but few probably will. SirusXM has commercials on some of their more popular channels and they seem to be doing ok.

• jhjh Member

I don't mind paying more - Netflix is really cheap compared to the "TV licence" we pay for the BBC but if ads appear, I'm leaving.

• @LosPollosHermanos said:

@Ympker said:
    Seems like I will have to cancel and go back to the roots. I pay for Netflix to be able to watch good shows and without advertisment (even if only for their shows it interrupts binge watching). reddit.com/r/netflix is full with posts about this. How do you (as a netflix subscriber) feel about this move?

Everyone always says they will cancel but few probably do. SirusXM has commercials on some of their more popular channels and they seem to be doing ok.

I did cancel after they increased the price last time. Now I'm happy to save $11 a month while I can download any Linux ISO for free.

Netflix limit what you can watch because of region restrictions. What is the point of paying your hard earn money if you cannot watch whatever you want?

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • jh said: I don't mind paying more - Netflix is really cheap compared to the "TV licence" we pay for the BBC but if ads appear, I'm leaving.

It's only just cheaper, 150.50 compared to ~£120 if you're on the 4K plan (or you have alot of friends who like to steal your netflix deets).

I'll not be best pleased if they start advertisements, there's enough product placements as it is. Especially those on the highest tier plan. If they do this, i'll perma go VPN and get the package for half the price. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/netflix-monthly-now-732-and-307-works-2903864

• edited August 2018

@Chuck said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Ympker said:

Everyone always says they will cancel but few probably do. SirusXM has commercials on some of their more popular channels and they seem to be doing ok.

I did cancel after they increased the price last time. Now I'm happy to save $11 a month while I can download any Linux ISO for free.

Netflix limit what you can watch because of region restrictions. What is the point of paying your hard earn money if you cannot watch whatever you want?

Bittorrent is by far the best service out there. Not because it's free but because it works exactly the way I want a service like this to work. Just charge for it and I would be happy to pay. Of course I am not naive and I know the world doesn't work that way. It's all special interests and legacy ways of doing business (that don't make sense anymore) and what not.

• I'm sure this will end up like hulu's subscription structure. Where you can pay more monthly to avoid the comericals.

• LeviLevi Member

LowPingVPS said: Where you can pay more monthly to avoid the comericals.

ISO download rate will increase proportionally to Netflix price increase. They can't afford price increase.

Thanked by 1hostdare