Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server with only ipv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server with only ipv6?

Is it possible to get (buy) a dedicated server with only IPs v6.

If so how much will it cost.

Comments

• It would probably cost more than a dedicated server with both ipv4 and ipv6, due to the probably much higher support cost. And installation over ipv6-only would be painful too.
    IPs are usually like a dollar each, you won't save much by not using at least one IP per dedicated server.

• Mmm thanks, I was right. You just confirmed it ;)

• @osbox said:
    www.osbox.nl offers vps's from 1$ with 16 IPv6 addresses

Dude read the title he needs a dedicated and not a VPS.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Dedi sellers are including one IPv4 at least. You can even use NAT later to add IPv4 support to the VPSes if you need them.
    It is true IPv6 only installation could be an issue, until recently, for example canonical was not dual stack, some remote access tools might not play well over IPv6 only too.

• Like, 25EUR for an ECO?

Installation over v6 is not an issue on any current OS (Win/Lin).

• I've built a couple of personnal VMs on IPv6 only and while the base operating system works fine (Ubuntu 12.04) it has problems with some PPAs (notably OpenPhoto).

Also, for some reason I get random hangs when doing apt-get update on this VM, I haven't dug into it but it may be related to latency on the IPv6 network (according to Google).

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

umm!!!
    actually not every device yet is IPv6 ready, so i feel every dedi will have atleast one IPv4 with it, else the box may become inaccessible.

as i said, I FEEL, but we need to hunt a bit, have seen lots of offers with IPv6 only, so may be there's one who knows.