Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the default limit (MB/s) on I/O usage for Shared Hosting? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the default limit (MB/s) on I/O usage for Shared Hosting?

2»

Comments

• I've shared accounts with 3 providers: 2 MB/s, 25 MB/s, and 40 MB/s is the disk I/O, and IOPS are 1024, 1024, and 7*** respectively.

In my personal experience related to wordpress sites I host with them, it never reaches 25 MB/s as RAM and CPU limits hits first.

Below 10 MB/s - I will never use such provider.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 2018

@Sofia_K said:
    I've shared accounts with 3 providers: 2 MB/s, 25 MB/s, and 40 MB/s is the disk I/O, and IOPS are 1024, 1024, and 7*** respectively.

In my personal experience related to wordpress sites I host with them, it never reaches 25 MB/s as RAM and CPU limits hits first.

I/O usage 25 MB/s on shared hosting? It looks like I need to cancel this 1 MB/s host provider.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Depending on how the server is setup, once the page is visited once all subsequent visits in the next X minutes will probably be cached so testing IO in the span of a few minutes won't work. You can test it by hitting a bunch of dynamic pages at once, but depending on compression it might not work either. If you're worried about the performance of your website, IO should really be the last thing you need to be looking at because the biggest IO bottleneck would most likely by MySQL but this isn't impacted by any LVE limits in CloudLinux.

• imokimok Member

@Sofia_K said:
    I've shared accounts with 3 providers: 2 MB/s, 25 MB/s, and 40 MB/s is the disk I/O, and IOPS are 1024, 1024, and 7*** respectively.

I will say 5 MB/s is also acceptable. I've had a really heavy website on a hosting with that limit and performed great until some point.

I had a customer with 1 MB/s on GoDaddy, what a headache!

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited August 2018

@deank said:
    Dat's like asking women's 3 sizes.

what exactly do you mean?

• @desperand said:

@deank said:

You've never heard the expression "never ask a woman her age" ? It's along those lines (sizes being breasts, hips, etc)

• @TimboJones said:

@desperand said:

@deank said:

You've never heard the expression "never ask a woman her age" ? It's along those lines (sizes being breasts, hips, etc)

plastic surgery could help them!.

• If you haven’t got the website content, ignore the specifications. Just concentrate on building the website, if you run into issues running it in production, move to other providers. Why bothering testing and requesting to increase the IO when you haven’t need it yet?

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 2018

@levnode said:
    If you haven’t got the website content, ignore the specifications. Just concentrate on building the website, if you run into issues running it in production, move to other providers. Why bothering testing and requesting to increase the IO when you haven’t need it yet?

Because I'm still within their "Money Back Guarantee policy".

Why should I pay for a whole year if I won't be able to use it?

• imokimok Member

Just change your provider for something better.

• Name and shame

• @robohost said:
    Name and shame

I think they have their family to feed. Let their customers to decide.
    I would just ask for full refund.

• Chuck said: Because I'm still within their "Money Back Guarantee policy".

Why should I pay for a whole year if I won't be able to use it?

Yep, so it's a fair reason. I think you should ask for a refund.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 2018

so...2 days ago, I opened a ticket asking for refund.

They said "We have set default I/O Usage limit as 1 MB/s. For courtesy we will increase your I/O usage limit upto 4MB/s."

Interesting. Anyway I/O Usage at 4MB/s still too low for SSD.

And they don't mention about the refund. Look like they are playing game to get me over the "Money Back Guarantee policy".

• Even webhostpython.com did not increase my I/O. they offer only 2 MB/s and asked me to upgrade to VPS if I expect 25 MB/s I/O

• @Chuck said:
    so...2 days ago, I opened a ticket asking for refund.

They said "We have set default I/O Usage limit as 1 MB/s. For courtesy we will increase your I/O usage limit upto 4MB/s."

Interesting. Anyway I/O Usage at 4MB/s still too low for SSD.

And they don't mention about the refund. Look like they are playing game to get me over the "Money Back Guarantee policy".

Take the 4MB/s, you won't use more