Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS 5.2.8 Vulnerability - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS 5.2.8 Vulnerability

Comments

• Thanks for the notice. Set to maintenance mode.

• @perennate said:
    You could just add some rules to your mod_security (also it'd be hard to find a way to exploit it in the first place if you have mod_security installed). But then someone might find a different attack vector, so maintenance mode or better yet disabling access to WHMCS completely gives greater security.

How do you disable access to WHMCS completely while insuring things like cron jobs and trouble tickets (via email) continue to work? Maintenance mode is the only way I know to do that.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

@sman said:
    How do you disable access to WHMCS completely while insuring things like cron jobs and trouble tickets (via email) continue to work? Maintenance mode is the only way I know to do that.

Both should work fine. Just shut down your web server, or restart your web server to serve pages from a different location. Anyway maintenance mode is probably fine, I was mostly saying you can also add some mod_security rules to block the exploit; but it may not block it completely (same exploit with different variables/query).

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • @sman said:

Simple, change folder permissions to 700

• @joodle said:

Huh? Try htaccess... Search some of the other threads regarding WHMCS exploits to see examples.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

@MCHPhil said:

Cron jobs don't go through the web server. Why bother using .htaccess when you can just cut off access to the web server completely? If you need to do maintenance operations you can always interact via good ol' SQL.

• smansman Member
    edited October 2013

Oh also...the script cannot access admin area if you use secondary (.htaccess password protection) authentication as per WHMCS recommendations. So they have to know your custom admin directory and get past apache authentication if you are using one or both of those. If not maybe this is a wake up call.

They can read tbladmins and tblclients but passwords are hashed. Anyone know if this exploit let's them change the hash...without access to admin area?

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited October 2013

@perennate said:
    Cron jobs don't go through the web server. Why bother using .htaccess when you can just cut off access to the web server completely? If you need to do maintenance operations you can always interact via good ol' SQL.

IPN does. It's also nice to be able to use the bulk mail function to inform customers the billing system has been taken offline. As well as continue using the ticket system. Just because WHMCS is out doesn't mean I can take the day off :P

Thanked by 1perennate
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yep, I don't profess to be an expert in the specifics of sql injection and the like however why are people still:

1. using apache
    2. using standard folder names
    3. using standard folder locations
    4. not locking down the admin area to a specific IP with secondary authentication required

Serious question, why?

Regardless of those simple steps I still take down my WHMCS when ever a new exploit is released but honestly I don't worry to much I am just annoyed by the inconvenience for me and my clients.

I dont know, perhaps time for a change, probably not but perhaps.

In the mean time please could everyone at the VERY LEAST who has WHMCS open a ticket with something like:

"I am very disappointed to learn that a completely avoidable hole was found in your commercial software, once again you have put my business and the business of many others at risk without good reason.

Please accept this as a formal complaint, I request 3 months worth of credit as compensation and insist that a proactive audit is carried out at your expense by a qualified third party."

Insist it gets escalated to management.

They really need at least 1000 tickets like this as it is very obvious they are content to fix on fail as no one is really challenging them to do better, we just wait with out hands out stretched for a patch in relative silence in terms of action and consequence.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Nothing is wrong with Apache. Just because it's the easiest thing for kids to install doesn't mean, in any way, that it's not a capable and secure web server. Like any other web server, it's only as good as it's administrator.

Thanked by 2MCHPhil Maounique

@jarland said:
    Nothing is wrong with Apache. Just because it's the easiest thing for kids to install doesn't mean, in any way, that it's not a capable and secure web server. Like any other web server, it's only as good as it's administrator.

Well ok I take your point on that, I stand by the rest of it though :)

Thanked by 2jar mpkossen
  • NickNick Member, Patron Provider

Blog update posted - http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=80206

• the anti-Apache snobs are annoying I gotta say.

@sman said:
    the anti-Apache snobs are annoying I gotta say.

Sorry in hind sight I really don't know why I said that.

• Amazing how they're just going to let people continuously exploit each new update.

They should really do what Solus did and get a code audit.

• @awson said:
    Amazing how they're just going to let people continuously exploit each new update.

They should really do what Solus did and get a code audit.

I know if I was Matt I wouldn't be able to sleep easy at night until I did get an external audit.

@Jono20201 said:
    I know if I was Matt I wouldn't be able to sleep easy at night until I did get an external audit.

I agree there!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Any update on a fix?

• @jbiloh said:
    Any update on a fix?

http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=80206

@jbiloh said:
    Any update on a fix?

No but they have acknowledged it..... 21 hours later.

@jbiloh said:
    Any update on a fix?

Ya sadly that blog post is all they have said so far.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I just read that moments ago. That blog shows so poorly with all the security related announcements. They need to do something to secure their product better.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2013

A mod_security filter to protect against this vulnerability has been posted:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8880491&posted=1#post8880491

It's a pretty basic rule set, but we've tested it and it appears to work well.

It should protect against most future WHMCS vulnerabilities as well.

Best of luck to all of you on this one!

• smansman Member
    edited October 2013

Time to jump on the mod_security bandwagon I guess.

I have mod_security and mod_security_crs installed from epel. First time using it so be gentle. I would put these rules in a file and call it something like modsecurity_crs61_whmcs.conf and save it in /etc/httpd/modsecurity.d/activiated_rules

Is that right? I have verified that SecRuleEngine On in /etc/httpd/conf.d/mod_security.conf

Is this going to make anything stop working in WHMCS that I should be aware of?

• great!

• @sman said:
    Time to jump on the mod_security bandwagon I guess.

I have mod_security and mod_security_crs installed from epel. First time using it so be gentle. I would put these rules in a file and call it something like modsecurity_crs61_whmcs.conf and save it in /etc/httpd/modsecurity.d/activiated_rules

Is that right? I have verified that SecRuleEngine On in /etc/httpd/conf.d/mod_security.conf

Is this going to make anything stop working in WHMCS that I should be aware of?

There are ways around your mod_security rules.

Honestly the best way to to secure your site is to completely disable WHCMS. You would be ignorant not to....

Thanked by 2perennate tchen
  • @taronyu said:
    Let me say it in different words:

I was able to exploit our whmcs installation but after I put it in maintenance mode not anymore. Need anymore prove? Ofcourse moving it will always be better but it is 'safe'

Why? Because the .py file uses the viewtickets.php page, and you can't use the page anymore when it is in maintenance mode.

HOWEVER i do not know what pages you can use.

if that script use viewtickets.php page how about if we sent 000 permission to viewtickets.php ? our whmcs would still work

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, but it can be that same vulnerability is in other pages too. Better let the whmcs people look at it, they are supposed to know their code better. The fact that the patch is not out yet might mean they have many places to look into.

• Thanked by 1fapvps
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2013

After playing around with mod_security for the first time all I can say is not impressed. It's a real PiTA. Adds a whole new layer of BS to deal with. Just not what I consider a good solution but of course they mean well.

Simply doesn't play well with one particular application I use a lot so kind of a deal breaker for sites that use it. So far up to 12 ID exclusions for this application and still getting 403 forbidden...sigh.

Got it working with WHMCS so that I can do stuff in admin area but only after I removed about 10 secrule ID's. That is just so far. The more I do things in the admin area the more I get that 403 forbidden which means another trip to the logs to find the ID number each time it happens.

Just adds a whole lot more work and I have better things to do.