Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using VPS behind VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using VPS behind VPN

BardulfBardulf Member
edited August 2018 in Help

Hi,
I bought vps, it is located in US, I know they have rules about torrent, So it is illegal using torrent on my vps, I have vpn account that allow using torrent, Can I use it for downloading torrent with ratio 1, I wonder my provider can figure it out that I use it for torrenting?

Comments

• Don't.

it is illegal

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Listen to @Revolver. He can be really scary during Russian roulette.

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • mkshmksh Member

No, if you set it up right they can't figure out what you are doing by analyzing your traffic. Setup is a bit tricky though and given it's a VPS just looking at what's on your disk is very easy even if they really shouldn't. Still your main problem would be to get it to work without locking you out of ssh.

• There's no issue of locking out SSH, AFAIK. Unless you set SSH to not listen on 0.0.0.0. I've never ran into that.

For me, the openvpn client doesn't reconnect reliably, so I had to make scripts to start and stop qbittorrent so it would only be running when openvpn successfully ran. The scripts had to set and remove route manually, so it's not just plug and play.

I think if I had to set it up, I'd look for a VPN provider with socks5. I'm not familiar, but I believe it accomplishes the same objective for torrenting without hassle of shitty openvpn overhead and hassles.

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • Two considerations
    1. Get a vps/dedi in a country where it is not illegal per se; or not strictly enforced,
    2. Consider making it cheaper by running a VPN through it and using your computer for storage, so you do not need a resource loaded vps/dedi.

Validated and works well.

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • I've gotten this to work with a WireGuard tunnel and setting the wg interface as the default route on the VPS being used to download stuff.

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • @TimboJones said:
    There's no issue of locking out SSH, AFAIK. Unless you set SSH to not listen on 0.0.0.0. I've never ran into that.

For me, the openvpn client doesn't reconnect reliably, so I had to make scripts to start and stop qbittorrent so it would only be running when openvpn successfully ran. The scripts had to set and remove route manually, so it's not just plug and play.

I think if I had to set it up, I'd look for a VPN provider with socks5. I'm not familiar, but I believe it accomplishes the same objective for torrenting without hassle of shitty openvpn overhead and hassles.

I can't find any script for this purpose what script do you use?

• @Bardulf said:

@TimboJones said:
    There's no issue of locking out SSH, AFAIK. Unless you set SSH to not listen on 0.0.0.0. I've never ran into that.

I can't find any script for this purpose what script do you use?

Oops. Upon review, this is why SSH works. I got this from here: Change the IP's and interface for your public static IP and interface.

cat /etc/openvpn/up.sh

#!/bin/sh
    /sbin/ip rule add from 172.110.XX.XX table 128
    /sbin/ip route add table 128 to 172.110.XX.0/24 dev eth0
    /sbin/ip route add table 128 default via 172.110.XX.1
    /sbin/ip route flush cache

systemctl start transmission-daemon.service
    systemctl start qbittorrent-nox.service

cat /etc/openvpn/down.sh

#!/bin/sh
    /sbin/ip route del table 128 default via 172.110.XX.1
    /sbin/ip route del table 128 to 172.110.XX.0/24 dev eth0