Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

please help to setup a server from Hetzner auction
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

please help to setup a server from Hetzner auction

eramaxeramax Member
edited August 2018 in Help

Hello

I want to purchase a server from Hetzner auction (32GB ram with Intel Core i7-4770 and 6TB) and start to build number of VM (linux and windows) on this server and use move all my systems from other servers to that server's VMs

I need your help how to setup the server after purchasing it and what os should i install to enable these VMs
and does it legal to install windows VM or may Hetzner ban and close my server later?
also I see that all servers from Hetzner auction come with only one IP4 address, so how i will use this only IP to connect on the number of VMs hosted in that server?
I need a help or a tutorials

Regards

Comments

• holhostholhost Member
    edited August 2018

Hello,

You have to ask Hetzner support about can you install windows VM, nobody from here can know that!

Also 1 ipv4 is not enough for running VMs.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Your OP looks like you need a help of a qualified sysadmin, what’s the budget ?

Thanked by 3mksh HostDoc vimalware
  • I searched online and i think i should install openstack or Proxmox VE to enable KVM and about the problem of IP addresses i may need to purchase some from hetzer

• mkshmksh Member

If your windows installs will be legal and at what extend Hetzner is going to get involved depends on a lot of factors. If you want to work with only a single IP you might look into NAT and if it seems a viable solution for you or if you have to buy more IPs (~1€/month). Besides that i can only second @Clouvider. Your goal seems to be way over your head and noone is going to basically solve your problems for free.

• If it's just for your internal infrastructure purposes, maybe you can use ipv6. Otherwise NAT or pay for more ipv4 addresses. Yes if you're doing this professionally then hire a sysadmin. If it's recreational then you can get some advice here, but expect a fair amount of trial and error.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Contrary to popular belief, IPv4 cannot be downloaded at whim.

You must buy it and have it assigned to you.

• Get some IP's. Partition your storage and add logical volume.

Install solusvm VIRTUALIZOR

Done. Easy right?

If not, I highly suggest you take @clouvider advice.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Clouvider ? No, his username is Cider.

• gksgks Member

I bought one 32GB ram with Intel Core i7-4770 with 4 TB with Hetzner few weeks back, still figuring out installing custom OS. But I could install Ubuntu 18.04 Minimal server, then installed ubuntu mate desktop, then installed XRTP. I could connect to GUI over Remote Desktop, all seems to be working.

• Hetzner is ok with BYOL Windows if you install it yourself instead of contracting with them under their SPLA:

the use of own Microsoft licenses on a Windows operating system leased from us is not possible.

>

However, a client is able to install their own Windows version, using their own license. It is possible to install Windows via a KVM Console.

Proxmox is a lot easier to setup than OpenStack.

Hetzner's wiki lists their additional IPv4 costs.

Thanked by 2vimalware eramax