Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

your own anycast? looking for beta testers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

your own anycast? looking for beta testers

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

gbshouse said: @AnthonySmith - I was going to reach you later thus week regarding this

nice one, you know how to reach me when ever it is convenient.

• jtkjtk Member

@gbshouse said:
    For last couple of month we were secretly working on our new service, first ever (I think) anycast-as-a-service, codename ANY. At this stage we are looking for beta testers who can help us polish few things. The closed beta will be open on the 20th of August.

There are some networks that do this already. A number of large providers will happily do this, though they don't mass market it as an available service. A couple that do specifically advertise it include Netactuate and Packet, though they not exactly low-end.

Someone already mentioned BuyVM. A number of low-end providers will do take a BGP announcement from you so you can do build this yourself across multiple providers. However, doing it yourself with a set of inconsistent providers/upstreams may result in some very suboptimal traffic patterns. Customers and potential service providers beware.

For testing purposes you will need 2-3 VMs (feel free to us existing ones, it should even work with NAT ones) running something (can be web server, game server etc.). We will assign you pair of anycast IPs (one IPv4 and one IPv6) and will wait for your feedback.

Incorporate systems that are not on your network? Are you going to do some sort of reverse proxy?

Thanked by 1Kris
  • hzrhzr Member

jtk said: Incorporate systems that are not on your network? Are you going to do some sort of reverse proxy?

VPN to each local pop apparently

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@jtk @hzr we basically took the platform which we are using in production for couple last years already (we are in top10 auth DNS providers according to dnsperf) and upgraded it so it can be used by everyone. We have few trusted upstreams witch we work with, custom AI used for route optimization, custom security tools etc. We have done some solid research and I think the result is more than awesome, but that's just my opinion, let's wait for feedback from beta testers.

• trungkientrungkien Member
    edited August 2018

This would perfectly fit my need.
    I have server/vps at many providers, including hetzner, ovh, leaseweb, do, linode, choopa, buyvm in various locations: jp, sg, vn, us, eu, au. let me know if you still need testers

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Certainly not first, just as we were not first. We have had customers using our Standard Anycast of DDoS protection for this now for years :)

Thanked by 1FHR
  • @SplitIce said:
    Certainly not first, just as we were not first. We have had customers using our Standard Anycast of DDoS protection for this now for years :)

You are advertising Anycast DNS. I don't think this is the same thing.

Thanked by 1vovler
  • filefile Member

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@SplitIce said:

You are advertising Anycast DNS. I don't think this is the same thing.

He also provides Anycast as a service. Different in how it is delivered and feature set, but still anycast as a service.

Thanks @file you saved me from further hijacking this thread. Yes we most certainly do operate our own Anycast network (AS136165).

We do include a free Anycast DNS service with all services sold as a value add, Rage4 is actually our provider for that.

I'll exit now unless called upon. Good luck @gbshouse

Thanked by 2file vimalware

@SplitIce fair enough, let's say "one of the few services of that type available on the market", to be honest I was almost sure that you provide anycast DDoS protection which is slightly more specialized service :)

• i83i83 Member

gbshouse said: If you are interested drop me PM.

You have PM ;)

• edited August 2018

@jtk said:

@gbshouse said:
    For last couple of month we were secretly working on our new service, first ever (I think) anycast-as-a-service, codename ANY. At this stage we are looking for beta testers who can help us polish few things. The closed beta will be open on the 20th of August.

There are some networks that do this already. A number of large providers will happily do this, though they don't mass market it as an available service. A couple that do specifically advertise it include Netactuate and Packet, though they not exactly low-end.

Someone already mentioned BuyVM. A number of low-end providers will do take a BGP announcement from you so you can do build this yourself across multiple providers. However, doing it yourself with a set of inconsistent providers/upstreams may result in some very suboptimal traffic patterns. Customers and potential service providers beware.

For testing purposes you will need 2-3 VMs (feel free to us existing ones, it should even work with NAT ones) running something (can be web server, game server etc.). We will assign you pair of anycast IPs (one IPv4 and one IPv6) and will wait for your feedback.

Incorporate systems that are not on your network? Are you going to do some sort of reverse proxy?

Which providers already do this? I have been looking and have not found any other than BuyVM. I have asked the large providers I currently work with and they don't do anything like this.

There are lots that are doing failover IPs within the same datacenter. None that can do it between data centers, with the possible exception of Amazon Elastic IP (and now Azure), which is limited to the same region.

• @vimalware said:
    Hmm. US $30/yr is 'cheap' for me.

What's everyone else's definition?

Anything above free is not "cheap" for me.

• jtkjtk Member

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    Which providers already do this? I have been looking and have not found any other than BuyVM. I have asked the large providers I currently work with and they don't do anything like this.

There are a lot that allow you to bring your own prefix and will do BGP with you. Here is a fairly comprehensive listing:

Some providers may or may not advertise the service, but these two are good examples of ones that could do it for you (note, neither of these is exactly low end):

Thanked by 1Kris
  • edited August 2018

@jtk said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

There are a lot that allow you to bring your own prefix and will do BGP with you. Here is a fairly comprehensive listing:

Some providers may or may not advertise the service, but these two are good examples of ones that could do it for you (note, neither of these is exactly low end):

Bring your own prefix is NOT the same type of service as what this thread is talking about.

Thanked by 1willie
  • DvoDvo Veteran

IMHO, you're not going to see many providers target this type of offering due to the fact, once you're at point where you'd need an anycast setup, the cost of the IP resources plus the footprint is the least of their MRC. This is more for the hobby market.

All this service does is tunnel between locations and tunnel to the end point. One could setup the same configuration with any provider(s) in multiple locations (i.e. Vultr). $100/mo for the IP's on lease and $75/mo for the virtual servers ($5 x 15 locations).

Very suboptimal traffic patterns is right!!!!!!!!!!! Optimizing traffic patterns by hand isn't fun!! I'll never get that afternoon back!!!

Anyway, since summer isn't over yet folks, if anyone wants to screw around with this type of setup and knows what policy based routing is AND can configure quagga, PM me and I can allocate a /29 of v4 plus setup tunnels in Seattle & Chicago with BGP sessions on a private ASN for you. You can high availability anycast your VPS's until I kill your BGP sessions!!!

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

Dvo said: One could setup the same configuration with any provider(s) in multiple locations (i.e. Vultr). $100/mo for the IP's on lease and $75/mo for the virtual servers ($5 x 15 locations).

Do you mean using their BGP announcement service? Or do they already offer anycast? If you use their BGP does that mean you have to enroll an AS and get the addresses yourself? Does it still mean a /24 and can you actually get that for $100/month?

I don't actually understand this stuff, though I wish I did. It does seem like a better HA mechanism than the usual round robin DNS setup, since if a node drops out, failover for new connections is automatic and immediate.

• DvoDvo Veteran

@willie said:

Do you mean using their BGP announcement service? Or do they already offer anycast? If you use their BGP does that mean you have to enroll an AS and get the addresses yourself? Does it still mean a /24 and can you actually get that for $100/month?

I don't actually understand this stuff, though I wish I did. It does seem like a better HA mechanism than the usual round robin DNS setup, since if a node drops out, failover for new connections is automatic and immediate.

Yes using their BGP service with an ASN. A $100/mo seems like the going rate via the AIO IP thread on here, assuming somebody is willing to rent one. Seems like a few on here offer ASN registration services as well.

The point of the pricing wasn't to show the costs per se, but to show how somebody who needed (vs wanting) an anycast setup would simply roll their own vs buying IP's a /32 at a time hence why nobody offers it i.e. viable service vs hobby service. The minimum to anycast would be around $110/mo. Now if somebody doesn't know how to set one up, they can hire an engineer. Well.. if $110/mo is too much... Ya'know?

Thanked by 1willie
  • jtkjtk Member
    edited August 2018

Bring your own prefix is NOT the same type of service as what this thread is talking about.

I'm sorry if I haven't been clear.

I've already named some providers, one of them twice, that may provide anycast as a service (where you don't bring your own prefix). I included the link to a list where you can do BGP with your own prefix so lurkers had a reasonably good reference to that related option as well.

I will name two that I'm confident offer anycast service. That is, specifically where you don't need your own prefix and you don't need to speak BGP from your servers. They provide the addressing and the routing. You lease servers or do colo, and they'll handle the routing magic. This is not widely advertised or marketed, but it is available from some providers. I've heard of others doing this is as well. Here is a sample of some that you may wish to talk to if you're serious about such an offering:

I have not used any of these providers for their anycast service so I'm only relaying what they have told me and people I know who have worked with them tell me they can do. Coincidentally I have asked for just such a thing elsewhere recently before this thread started and I've had emails with each of them about just this kind of service.

As I've noted previously, these may not be "low end", but this is a service that is available.

It is not clear to me the beta service that started this discussion does exactly this, but if I understand what you're wanting, this will hopefully address your search for providers besides BuyVM that do this.

If I've failed, I've failed for the last time. This will be my last post in this thread. Good luck.

Thanked by 2Kris willie
  • KrisKris Member

@jtk - You've hit the nail on the head. NetActuate does Anycast as a Service and has for quite a long time - 3 years at least without a server on their infra needed... I used to work there.

• KrisKris Member

This is different than NetActuate as they have their own self-rolled proprietary setup, manage everything, and will reverse proxy to a specific location.

Most is used for DDoS protection, such as large NICs, etc. Fortune 500's use this type of stuff, and it's not cheap.

This is different as it runs over a different type of network to reach your VM from what I've read about the network. Completely different animal in the way it's done, but the 'Anycast as a Service' has existed for a while.

I also worked at & introduced BGP to Vultr.

Thanked by 2willie Daniel15
  • jtk said: If I've failed, I've failed for the last time.

• edited August 2018

It's not the same thing as far as I can tell. The other providers require you to use their facilities and/or servers. This service does not require you to do either as I understand it. So you can use existing servers wherever they are.

I am going to contact NetActuate and see what they say about it. They don't list prices which usually means expensive/enterprise which is not what I am looking for.

Just the follow up - we need to deploy some minor changes to the control panel today, once it's done I'll start contacting everyone who sent me PM regarding beta.

@LosPollosHermanos last time I spoke with NetActuate it was around $2k/m @Kris it was HostVirtual before right? @jtk your are partially right, the setup seems and can be simple but if you want to have at least some free time you need extra moving pieces and it gets complicated.

• @LosPollosHermanos - it's not routed to your public IP, instead routing is done on top of ZeroTier virtual network

Interesting, are you using your own controller or is it reliant on theirs working?

Some of the biggest difficulties are route balancing and gracefully handling edge cases (route changes and location failover for example).

We have been working on an expansion to our network for 5 months now with a couple locations posing real difficulties. Ploping in some locations that let you bring your own IPs (and BGP) is step one to any Anycast network but getting it to work well is the real difficult part.

Thanked by 1willie
  • edited August 2018

I got a demo set up on a couple of my own servers. So far I have ping working over anycast to two servers in two separate regions depending on the source of the ping.

Lots of testing still needed. Especially the NAT part since it is done over private IPs on a ZeroTier network. Setting it up was straight forward if you have used ZeroTier before. If not, all you need to know is that the zero tier cli is zerotier-cli for linux. Just use that to check status once you install ZeroTier One which is their client software.

This service must be using a gateway at each location so that is one potential bottleneck which may limit throughput and could be a source for other problems like NAT stuff. Also looks like maybe shared private IP space so would have to add some firewall rules. As far as I can tell, each location is a separate private IP network.

Thanked by 2gbshouse tomle
  • KrisKris Member

gbshouse said: @LosPollosHermanos last time I spoke with NetActuate it was around $2k/m @Kris it was HostVirtual before right?

Yes. They've gotten bigger and relocated. As mentioned, they are an enterprise provider where Fortune 500's go to. They have one of the largest networks in the US by peering (top 15 usually) and are out of the LET price range.

Some LET people used to be on there, but it's out of their price range especially given the routing optimization and work gone into building such an extensive network.

SOURCE: https://bgp.he.net/country/US

As mentioned again, @LosPollosHermanos - NetActuate does this and has for a while. They manage it white glove, servers with them or not. It's just at a level of pricing your range is out of.

• edited August 2018

I think I found another provider that does something like this. They include all the configurable monitoring and failover backend stuff (on the pro plan) and no zerotier private IP's as far as I can tell. But at $23-$49/month it's probably more expensive than what this solution will be.

http://totaluptime.com/solutions/cloud-load-balancing/network-failover/

• @LosPollosHermanos said:
    I think I found another provider that does something like this. They include all the configurable monitoring and failover backend stuff (on the pro plan) and no zerotier private IP's as far as I can tell. But at $23-$49/month it's probably more expensive than what this solution will be.

That just looks like HAProxy in an Anycast ip. Doesn’t seem to do any internal Anycast to the closest backend server