Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS vs. VPS Cloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS vs. VPS Cloud

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between VPS and VPS Cloud ?

Comments

• Depends on how the provider is trying to market their services.

For me and in relation to the products our company offers;

A VPS is a standard virtual machine with exactly the same capabilities as a cloud VPS except versatility. A VPS has no flexibility and you are stuck with the one VPS and its configured specs for the life of that VPS. You could migrate the VPS to a node in a different location and most probably pay a fee but will still have limitations such as having to cancel your plan and purchase a new one if you wanted a smaller plan or wanted to make changes effortlessly.

A cloud VPS gives you flexibility as well as choice. With a cloud VPS, you can create and destroy your VPS on demand, and can provision it in any available location that your provider has.

You can give your VPS as much or as little resources as it needs and replicate that same VPS or make different VPS' for different uses in other locations.

Once a project is finished with a particular VPS, you can destroy it and spin up another one on demand. You can create HA infrastructures, your own personal CDN's, DNS, etc without the need of cancelling plans to get bigger or smaller one's or having so many machines idling.

• JunJun Member

cloud is a buzzword

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • alberto2345alberto2345 Member
    edited August 2018

@Jun said:
    cloud is a buzzword

Maybe one day Amazon will make giant drones in the shape of clouds that house servers.
    Then people could actually say their server is up in the clouds :)

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • I'd think that Cloud VPS would mean managed hosting with higher uptime and higher general quality.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2018

If it was true cloud VPS the access worldwide should be same - very low ping and shorter route. As it’s true cloud I do believe should be GEO replicated and great speed in any country and if one region down the rest should pickup the load. But the providers do sell VPS as “cloud”, as it’s hosted single node (majority times) in specific location only. If you do check big providers you need to select regions - Amazon, Microsoft and other providers required to select regions.

• its just marketing word, but some people refer to hourly billing, snapshot, failover, ha etc.

• alberto2345 said: Maybe one day Amazon will make giant drones in the shape of clouds that house servers. Then people could actually say their server is up in the clouds :)

But what will be they called on a sunshine day?

• ehhthing said: I'd think that Cloud VPS would mean managed hosting with higher uptime and higher general quality.

Absolutely not at all.

• HostDoc said: A VPS has no flexibility and you are stuck with the one VPS and its configured specs for the life of that VPS.

Not really. That sounds like a dedicated server. Many/most VPS providers will upgrade/downgrade your VPS plan on request and adjust your billing. I agree with most of your explanation except this :)

• HostDocHostDoc Member
    edited August 2018

@sleddog said:

HostDoc said: A VPS has no flexibility and you are stuck with the one VPS and its configured specs for the life of that VPS.

Not really. That sounds like a dedicated server. Many/most VPS providers will upgrade/downgrade your VPS plan on request and adjust your billing. I agree with most of your explanation except this :)

The thing with a VPS is that it is easy to scale up, no problem. The issue arises when you attempt to shrink a disk and this can result in data loss.

Your only other alternative if you wanted to downgrade safely will be to backup and move that data to a smaller VPS hence why I said no flexibility.

With a cloud VPS, you can spin up a new machine on demand, rysnc your data over and destroy the larger VPS and use those "now" free resources to create another VPS when needed.

• HostDoc said:

With a cloud VPS, you can spin up a new machine on demand, rysnc your data over and destroy the larger VPS and use those "now" free resources to create another VPS when needed.

All of which you can do with a traditional VPS, except you're working in a different timeframe & billing period :)

• DETioDETio Member
    edited August 2018

I've posted this answer before, but let me summarize it for you:

Cloud Computing comes with a few Essential Characteristics in order to be recognized as 'cloud' instead of just Virtual Private Servers.

These essential characteristics, as defined by the US Government include:

On-demand self-service :
    The user can access, terminate instances, or add new instances on-demand as required.

Hourly Billing allows the above to be possible, or with predefined Virtual Datacenter Plans that come with a set amount of Resources a user can use.

Broad network access :
    Able to access the service remotely. - This is true for VPS as well.

Resource pooling :
    Virtual resources dynamically assigned and reassigned according to consumer demand. A multi-tenant model where multiple users can utilize this resource pool is required.

Rapid elasticity :
    Servers can be elastically provisioned and released (Up-Sizing and Down-Sizing Virtual Machines & deploying new instances via API's), in some cases automatically. There must always be idle computing power ready to be used by the consumer - and scaled on demand by the provider, the user must not wait for resources.

Measured service :
    Monitoring & Transparency of usage is a requirement, the user must be able to monitor the usage of his cloud such as Bandwidth, Storage, Memory, etc.

High Availability is not an essential characteristic for Cloud Computing however is generally an expectation by the user. Unless the provider clearly defines he is offering self-healing VM's, automated failover or high availability - then the provider is not required to offer such solutions to the user and it's up to the consumer to figure out a backup solution.

Cloud Computing also comes with Service Models, such as Infrastructure-as-a-Service, other service models also include: Platform as a Service & Software as a Service which are designed to save time and automate processes that are previously manual. Such as deploying applications, databses, load balancers, etc.

• @sleddog said:

HostDoc said:

All of which you can do with a traditional VPS, except you're working in a different timeframe & billing period :)

Yes, but just not as flexibly or better yet, seamlessly as it would be with a "cloud" product. Fundamentally, there is little difference and it comes down to personal preference.

• @ehhthing said:
    I'd think that Cloud VPS would mean managed hosting with higher uptime and higher general quality.

I'd think the opposite. Cloud VPSes achieve higher uptime and quality by using multiple instance across multiple geo-locations. Thousands of VPS, combined, provide higher uptime, where single VM uptime could even be worse than a traditional server.

• HostDoc said: Yes, but just not as flexibly or better yet, seamlessly as it would be with a "cloud" product.

Absolutely agree. A cloud VPS puts more control in the end-user's hands.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

I distinctly remember a time when Cloud referred to something that meant something like clustering, or some sort of high availability. It wasn't always used to mean 'on-demand' VMs.

In any case, it does seem to be just a marketing buzz word these days. Every company and the mascot use 'cloud' and 'block chain' these days.

In our case, our 'Cloud VPS' refers to our High Availability VPS Cluster. A mix of Virtualization Nodes, and distributed storage servers in order to provide high levels of fault tolerance.

Probably all traditional VPS on single nodes with local storage will probably disappear in the not too distant future. In the past, the hardware, in particular drives and 10G gear, seriously increased the initial setup. And of course there was massive overhead. But hardware is getting faster and cheaper, and it just doesnt seem to make sense to build standalone nodes any more.

TLDR: we call the HA VPS a Cloud VPS. But in the future, it will probably just be called a VPS.

• The difference is in the virtualization that the provider use.
    VPS is better and stable than Cloud but is more expensive!

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@holhost said:
    The difference is in the virtualization that the provider use.

Can someone please ban this spamming guy?

• @v3ng said:

@holhost said:

You are the spamming guy.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Kids..., I am THE spamming guy. Be gone.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • @holhost said:

@v3ng said:

@holhost said:

You are the spamming guy.

You have been spamming since joining just over an hour ago.

Then you try sell a domain that is 9 months old for $100.?! Are you a special kind of retard?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

holhost said: The difference is in the virtualization that the provider use. VPS is better and stable than Cloud but is more expensive!

Wat. What you said doesn't even make any sense.

• I'm laughs when I see what you did from my question.
    I just asked for the answer boys! :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

VPS = Cloud

But if you put Cloud into the name, that makes you able to charge more for the same shit.

Its like putting gaming into computer stuff.

• @Neoon said:
    VPS = Cloud

But if you put Cloud into the name, that makes you able to charge more for the same shit.

Does cloud have rgb?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@teamacc said:

@Neoon said:
    VPS = Cloud

Does cloud have rgb?

Obviously, take a look at Hetzner cloud, listen and you can hear the RGB spinning.

• Cloud: "add/subtract stuff a la carte on the fly in real time"

VPS (non-cloud): "fixed price menu where you can add/subtract stuff with a layer of nonsense AKA 'support'"

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The difference between VPS and Cloud is simple.

One smokes rgb weed is on cloud9.

• jure12jure12 Member
    edited August 2018

Thank you guys.
    How I understand there is no difference between 'vps' and 'cloud'.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Neoon said:
    VPS = Cloud

Does that mean you can sell a Gaming Cloud for even more? What about Blockchain Gaming Cloud?

Or we could use the same conventions that Gillette use for their razors, and add the words 'Stealth' and 'Fusion' to the names.

Fusion Stealth Blockchain Gaming Cloud Server - Only $99 /month!