Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for android tablet with good GPS to act as Car navigator
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for android tablet with good GPS to act as Car navigator

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited August 2018 in General

Looking for an android tablet (not too big) that has preferably long battery power (however can also be charged in car so not too much a problem) and really good GPS to act as a navigator in my parents car using Google Maps or one of the other free alternatives. The reason for this is their current navi is really outdated (no map updates) and there are so many free android apps out there that work just with gps+offline maps so I thought there must be something that does the trick. Usually Amazon Fire HD is never a bad pick but in particulary this case rather not as it does not support gps afaik..

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Would a large phone (something like the $150 Alcatel 3V) work? Google has basically killed off Android tablets so buying a cheap phone may be the way to go.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @karatekidmonkey said:
    Would a large phone (something like the $150 Alcatel 3V) work? Google has basically killed off Android tablets so buying a cheap phone may be the way to go.

Sure might work as well however given it is for my parents would need to be 6" or more in display size. Not too big ofc

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited August 2018

Most android tablets don't have GPS unless they have cellular.

If you're buying a GPS for people who don't know technology very well, I'd recommend you actually just buying a GPS. It's easier to use, by far. Most cheap phones lag a significant amount when rendering maps.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Maybe check:

• Xiaomi Mi Max 2 /3

• LG Stylo 4

• Huawei Honor 7X (5.93 inches)

There are lots more on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Unlocked-Cell-Phones-5-above/

It's a bit tough to find 6"+ but it is easy to find 5.7" plus (does that extra 0.3" really make a difference) for under $400.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I'd just use dedicated GPS. You can download map updates for most of them. It usually doesn't even matter. Mine is years out of date and it's fine, the roads are still the same. I wouldn't want a connected GPS that tracks all my movement and that doesn't work without internet. I have GPS in my phone and never use it, just an old Garmin model and it works fine.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited August 2018

I like the google nexus tabs. Costs 20€ on eBay and has lots of custom ROMs.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I would also suggest to go for a dedicated GPS even if it is a bit more pricey. Navigation without a good network connection is iffy in mobile devices.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Leaving a real GPS in the hot sun is probably just a tad safer than a phone too.

• I will also suggest a GPS unit instead of a tablet as it's easier to use and work offline. About updates, I own a Garmin Nuvi which is probably near 10 years old and still get maps updates.

• @Ympker said:

@karatekidmonkey said:
    Would a large phone (something like the $150 Alcatel 3V) work? Google has basically killed off Android tablets so buying a cheap phone may be the way to go.

Sure might work as well however given it is for my parents would need to be 6" or more in display size. Not too big ofc

The Nexus 6 is now almost three generations out-of-date, so it's also in that price range even with lots of storage. It's not going to get Android Pie, or even security patches probably, but otherwise it's just fine for running Google Maps, reading books, etc. But I think either you'd want a hotspot in the car, cellphone service (you can do Project Fi with it, since it's dual-band), or tech-savvy parents who understand how to download offline Google Maps.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @MikeA said:
    Leaving a real GPS in the hot sun is probably just a tad safer than a phone too.

Good thought although the phone can just be stored in some leather case/bag in the car hidden from the sun :P

@pike said:
    I like the google nexus tabs. Costs 20€ on eBay and has lots of custom ROMs.

Nice idea! Thanks :)

@willie said:
    I'd just use dedicated GPS. You can download map updates for most of them. It usually doesn't even matter. Mine is years out of date and it's fine, the roads are still the same. I wouldn't want a connected GPS that tracks all my movement and that doesn't work without internet. I have GPS in my phone and never use it, just an old Garmin model and it works fine.

Hmm maybe my parents are outa luck with their Navigator then as it didn't have map updates and is really 8-10 years old I'd reckon.

Regarding offline navigation:

There are a lot of free/paid offline navigation apps aside google maps that are actually really good (some of which I've tried when traveling Australia :P).

• Ympker said: 8-10 years old

Does it matter? How many streets near you change in that period? Buildings come and go, maybe there are some new developments and office parks here and there, but for the most part actual streets don't change that fast. Maps from the 1990s are still perfectly good.

• @willie said:

Ympker said: 8-10 years old

Does it matter? How many streets near you change in that period? Buildings come and go, maybe there are some new developments and office parks here and there, but for the most part actual streets don't change that fast. Maps from the 1990s are still perfectly good.

The reason I am looking for a new one is actually that the navi didn't know some routes/streets very frequently thus requiring a map update. What's more a navi only half a year old of a friend's BMW messed up half way through the route and couldn't relocate itself nor find an alternative route.Never happened to me with my phone yet. But I guess I'll also look into actual navis then. What are the "big players" when it comes to these? I only remember TomTom?!

• Ympker said: What are the "big players" when it comes to these? I only remember TomTom?!

At least in the US, I think Garmin and then Magellan. I'd just go ahead and buy one, either new or on craigslist/fleabay/whatever.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @willie said:

Ympker said: What are the "big players" when it comes to these? I only remember TomTom?!

At least in the US, I think Garmin and then Magellan. I'd just go ahead and buy one, either new or on craigslist/fleabay/whatever.

Thanks for the advice :)

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

The Mi Pad 4 LTE version has a Snapdragon 660, 4G RAM and GPS as well.

Runs Android 8, might have some rom support as well on XDA.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

My suggestion would be to instead get a 2nd hand ipad 2 and install co-pilot, battery is superb, supports a sim card too for extra accuracy and travel updates and the screen is huge, that is what I have used for driving around the UK, France and Spain.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    My suggestion would be to instead get a 2nd hand ipad 2 and install co-pilot, battery is superb, supports a sim card too for extra accuracy and travel updates and the screen is huge, that is what I have used for driving around the UK, France and Spain.

Cool idea! Thanks :)