Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Scaleway start1-xs fc28
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Scaleway start1-xs fc28

dragon2611dragon2611 Member
edited August 2018 in Providers

Do not do a dnf upgrade on the scaleway start1-xs if running from the FC28 minimal image.

It will render it unbootable , I thought maybe it was something I'd installed so I started a brand new instance and ran dnf upgrade followed by reboot and it still killed it.

Comments

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

From those "avc: denied" and "permissive 0" I'd suggest you to double-check your SELinux

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited August 2018

@mfs said:
    From those "avc: denied" and "permissive 0" I'd suggest you to double-check your SELinux

Indeed it looks like SElinux is buggered but that's a brand new deploy and if it buggers Selinux with a simple update either fedora have a faulty package or the image is broken.

Also once it's in that state I don't think there's an easy way to fix it short of imaging the SSD over to another instance as a secondary disk as the console doesn't allow input and there are no options I can find for an alternate boot image/boot script to get a rescue prompt.

I don't actually care about any of the FC28 instances I'd spun up they were for testing lizardfs so had nothing of value on them.

Edit:

It's possible to netboot it but the option doesn't show unless the instance is powered down, it will boot off a netboot image.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited August 2018

Well scaleways support was rather lacking, they just claimed not to offer software assistance and essentially it was a case if the image booted when it was deployed that was good enough for them.

So yes I can get the thing booting again, but argue I shouldn't have to, I wouldn't consider expecting the provided installation to update cleanly to be unreasonable, given it's a brand new deployment and not been messed with.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2018

I'd say Scaleway is going downhill, but have they ever been "up hill"? Not really.

They promised two things "in the coming weeks": more images for the XS, and local boot on ARM. That was many months ago, maybe a year by now. Nobody cares. It's like a dead abandoned ship, traveling by inertia on its own.

Not to mention the IPv6 deployment scheme remains a disaster (a dynamic /128), that was also promised to be improved, with no actual changes.

Thanked by 2sin default
  • Only used it because I wanted some additional nodes online for something I was trying out and I already had an account but yes it seems they've not really kept up with the competition