Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dr. Server RAID Failure - All Data Lost - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dr. Server RAID Failure - All Data Lost

Comments

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@drserver said:

willie said: I wonder what the array size was, what size and brand of drives, whether a recovery was in progress when the 2nd drive failed, etc.

See?! I told people the 1TB 850s were terrible!

Francisco

All consumer and Pros are. they not meant for Servers only for home.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Dont the pro's usually fail in read only though?

Obviously not or DR would've just mirrored the data out.

Francisco

• @drserver said:
    Array was 6x1tb (samsung 850 pro)

I really can't find fault with the choice of NAND for a budget offering . Maybe the recent PROS have undiscovered weaknesses.

Pretty tragic thing to happen to a great host.
    Something similar happened (cascading ssd failures in Raid10) to Hosthatch Sweden a couple years ago IIRC.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2018

@drserver said:
    Array was 6x1tb (samsung 850 pro) less than a six months in production with intel onboard raid controller. that was 4 node fat twin from supermicro. we have lost same pair of drives.

What "intel onboard raid controller" exactly? And what Raid mode?

I'm asking because I do respect well known providers experience and tend to believe that the 850 pro isn't a good drive for the DC but I have a hunch that this here might be a case of "unlucky marriage" with the intel controller playing a unfortunate role too.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@jsg said:

@drserver said:
    Array was 6x1tb (samsung 850 pro) less than a six months in production with intel onboard raid controller. that was 4 node fat twin from supermicro. we have lost same pair of drives.

What "intel onboard raid controller" exactly? And what Raid mode?

I'm asking because I do respect well known providers experience and tend to believe that the 850 pro isn't a good drive for the DC but I have a hunch that this here might be a case of "unlucky marriage" with the intel controller playing a unfortunate role too.

Built in Motherboard raid

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @key900 said:

I think he was talking about the device, raid controller chipset etc :)

@key900 said:

Built-in as in "AHCI w/Raid 0, 1, 10" or as in "some LSI or similar real Raid chip" ?

@jsg said:

@key900 said:

Built-in as in "AHCI w/Raid 0, 1, 10" or as in "some LSI or similar real Raid chip" ?

I believe he meant this one AHCI w/Raid 0, 1, 10 , The twin fat units won’t let you installing normal Raid cards like LSI.

@key900 said:

@jsg said:

@key900 said:

I believe he meant this one AHCI w/Raid 0, 1, 10 , The twin fat units won’t let you installing normal Raid cards like LSI.

I know but Supermicro offers their own add on format/system for most of their stuff.

Thanks for the info and I guess there's the culprit, an unhappy marriage of intel AHCI "Raid controller" and a somewhat sensitive (so it seems) 850 pro. But my main suspicion is the intel ahci, possibly along with the linux driver.

(Don't get me wrong. This is not hitting on linux. In fact I personally think that supporting intel fake raid (extremely Windows oriented) was well meant but wrong in the first place).

My suggestion: DO NOT use AHCI fake raid! You can have Raid 0, 1, 10 just as well almost cost free by the linux (or BSD) software Raids. Hardware Raid (real or fake) is not worth it anyway unless you do Raid 5, 6, 5x, 6x. In fact for Raid 0, 1, 10 the OS Raid can even be FASTER because the OS knows much much more about the file system and device requests than the controller.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • How often should I be doing backups?

• @AntKala said:
    How often should I be doing backups?

How much data are you willing to lose?

Thanked by 1jaypeesmith

@AntKala said:

42 times per week, month, or year. No more and no less.

I had to listen to a VERY long Vogon poem to get at this info, so do not make 41 or 43 backups but exactly 42!

• @Aidan said:

@AntKala said:

How much data are you willing to lose?

Depends on how much volatile and important your data is. For some you may need to go hourly while weekly for some. Or for static site, you may just need few copies.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2018

AntKala said: How often should I be doing backups?

This often, so, when a failure occures, you won't less valuable data you cannot replace easily. For critical infrastrutcures, this could be a live replication(s).> AntKala said: How often should I be doing backups?

This often, so, when a failure occures, you won't less valuable data you cannot replace easily. For critical infrastrutcures, this could be a live replication(s).

@jsg said:

@key900 said:

@jsg said:

@key900 said:

I know but Supermicro offers their own add on format/system for most of their stuff.

Thanks for the info and I guess there's the culprit, an unhappy marriage of intel AHCI "Raid controller" and a somewhat sensitive (so it seems) 850 pro. But my main suspicion is the intel ahci, possibly along with the linux driver.

(Don't get me wrong. This is not hitting on linux. In fact I personally think that supporting intel fake raid (extremely Windows oriented) was well meant but wrong in the first place).

My suggestion: DO NOT use AHCI fake raid! You can have Raid 0, 1, 10 just as well almost cost free by the linux (or BSD) software Raids. Hardware Raid (real or fake) is not worth it anyway unless you do Raid 5, 6, 5x, 6x. In fact for Raid 0, 1, 10 the OS Raid can even be FASTER because the OS knows much much more about the file system and device requests than the controller.

It doesn’t matter whatever you do they are consumer SSD won’t even last with heavy writing it could be used obly if there is kind of replicated it will ve safer to use .

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

Francisco said: See?! I told people the 1TB 850s were terrible!

Hmm are they? We have 80 of these Samsung 1TB 850s but no failures after 2-3 years. Probably now that I write this they will all fail tomorrow.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

In before "LunaNoda experiences massive raid failures. Raid-0 adventure comes to an end."

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

deank said: Raid-0

Haha definitely RAID10.

• NdhaNdha Member

@perennate said:
    Hmm are they? We have 80 of these Samsung 1TB 850s but no failures after 2-3 years. Probably now that I write this they will all fail tomorrow.

Please don't!!! I don't had backup of backup of backup

• i think the same thing happened with xenstorage

Thanked by 2Falzo vimalware
  • @jsg said:
    I have in fact seen extremely few desasters with Raid, no matter whether hardware or software Raid. One exception: The 410 adapters @AnthonySmith mentioned; I have learned to not trust them.

Just curious, when it happened were those drives HP branded?

@eLohkCalb said:

@jsg said:
    I have in fact seen extremely few desasters with Raid, no matter whether hardware or software Raid. One exception: The 410 adapters @AnthonySmith mentioned; I have learned to not trust them.

Just curious, when it happened were those drives HP branded?

IIRC yes.

Thanked by 1eLohkCalb
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

eLohkCalb said: Just curious, when it happened were those drives HP branded?

Yep, iirc they were seagate's underneath though.

Thanked by 1eLohkCalb
  • Chuck said: Do you always use pull out method?

Sure, no issue if cut or gay ;)

• pikepike Veteran

@willie said:
    If someone is injured in a car accident we don't say they should have chosen to drive a tank instead of a car.

They should've chosen to travel by train instead of a car since a car is a lot more insecure.

• @deank said:
    Anyone who knows about computers a little knows raid is never a backup solution.

But then even Linus thought raid was a backup solution before his raid got corrupted.

You could say that his belief got "raid"-ed.

Sorry, I'll leave now.

• Just curious, for what need to use 6x1TB SSD 850 Pro Raids? I can't really figure out. Is not it cheaper to buy NVMe?

• jaypeesmithjaypeesmith Member
    edited August 2018

I just checked my inbox and the message for this went to spam. The funny thing is that I canceled my service with them just prior to this outage. The disk I/O I was seeing was very bad and I now know why.

At any rate, it appears that, outside of this incident, they have a pretty good reputation so, I wish them well.

• @maoyipeng said:
    i think the same thing happened with xenstorage

thanks. I also had the feeling that there had been something similar back then, but could not recall when or where...

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1871135/#Comment_1871135

found it ;-)

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited August 2018

winnervps said: Real mean eat pussies

lemon said: real man eat ass

Why not both?

This works for vegans too:

"Heave a heart - eat a rock some ass."

PS: