Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fail2ban may provide a false sense of security - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fail2ban may provide a false sense of security

13»

Comments

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

This is so unnecessary.

We are in 2019. Your server is powerful enough to handle a few thousands of brute force logins.

• lonea said: We are in 2019. Your server is powerful enough to handle a few thousands of brute force logins.

Yes, yes it is. However, do you really want them to have unlimited attempts at guessing correct credentials? No. I've always used fail2ban to ban logins after 5 fails for 24 hours.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@lonea said:
    This is so unnecessary.

We are in 2019. Your server is powerful enough to handle a few thousands of brute force logins.

If you want that a stranger, touches your nuts, multiple times while you go over the street, okay then.

I prefer, firewalls, thats that millennials thing, it works.

Besides, who knows, maybe there are security holes in SSH2, which are big enough, to fuck everyone without firewalls.
    So I do suggest, firewalling, instead of going the yolo way.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • poissonpoisson Member

@Neoon said:
    If you want that a stranger, touches your nuts, multiple times while you go over the street, okay then.

LET comment of the week.

Anyway, port knocking sounds like a great concept. Going to try it.

-hosts.allow
    -only permit SSH key to login

Both are more efficient than firewalling the whole world off.

Neoon said: If you want that a stranger, touches your nuts, multiple times while you go over the street, okay then.

I prefer, firewalls, thats that millennials thing, it works.

Besides, who knows, maybe there are security holes in SSH2, which are big enough, to fuck everyone without firewalls.

So I do suggest, firewalling, instead of going the yolo way.

Within the scope of this thread, it's not really unlimited when you have fail2ban or CSF installed.

Whitelisting is good when the server is not public or used by multiple users.

eastonch said: Yes, yes it is. However, do you really want them to have unlimited attempts at guessing correct credentials? No. I've always used fail2ban to ban logins after 5 fails for 24 hours.