Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux/Ubuntu 2nd HDD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux/Ubuntu 2nd HDD

I have installed Linux Mint 15 on my desktop with a single hdisk. Now, to add more HDD space, I am planning to buy a 2nd HDD. When I place it and wire it physically on my desktop and reboot, will my OS be able to detect it like detecting a plugged in USB drive?

Comments

• The OS will definitely detect the drive, but you won't be able to sense it until you look under the hood. To be able to use it, you'll have to partition and format the disk. There are tons of CLI tools for this, but since you're in a desktop environment, gparted is the easiest way to go.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Well I'm not so sure about Linux mint, but in debian (which Ubuntu is based off of, and mint is based off ubuntu) you would have to mount the drive as a folder using the mount command, then you can write data to it.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • How is the 1st drive partitioned is the best question here, using LVM hopefully, then you can easily add the 2nd drive to the physical group and grow logical volumes as needed

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @miTgiB I have no idea about LVM. Didn't remember. I just use the easiest option when I boot up the nstallation CD. that is, use entire disk.

• Well you can always make an LVM based filesystem on the new drive, transfer all the data to it then add in the original drive as a 2nd drive in the physical volume

• thanks boss, will check it

• @jcaleb said:
    thanks boss, will check it

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

Everything you never knew you wanted to know

Thanked by 2DalComp jcaleb