Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ghost payment charge from Alpharacks - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ghost payment charge from Alpharacks

13»

Comments

• @Jona4s said:
    @Falzo
    Im sorry are you a moron? You know that the point of cancelling a service is to end ALL future payments, regardless of the method of payment that was setup.

yeah, see... that's exactly why you did not read or could be bothered to try and understand the issue. f*cking millenial.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Jona4s said:
    @Falzo
    Im sorry are you a moron? You know that the point of cancelling a service is to end ALL future payments, regardless of the method of payment that was setup.

Please read this thread carefully before commenting and try to understand better how these things (in particular, PayPal as a third-party payment mechanism) are implemented.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • It doesnt matter if the OP had a subscription or billing agreement. Both should have been cancelled by the provider when he cancelled the service. Stop trying to put excuses to justify the provider.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Jona4s said: It doesnt matter if the OP had a subscription or billing agreement. Both should have been cancelled by the provider when he cancelled the service. Stop trying to put excuses to justify the provider.

Read the thread, come back with a proper counter point with a bit of detail and stop being a twonk.

• Yeah. I can see providers like you following that practice of deliberately not closing the subscription after a cancellation is made. I guess it makes you an extra buck, but I wouldn't imagine a large provider forgetting to close a paypal subscription on their end.

• Jona4s said: Stop trying to put excuses to justify the provider.

my comment to you solely was meant to point out that you did not read...

nothing to do with excuses for providers and on the matter I already commented earlier, that I think it's best if every provider would refund quickly if something like a forgotten subscription happens - not really justifying for them, don't you think?

Jona4s said: Yeah. I can see providers like you following that practice of deliberately not closing the subscription after a cancellation is made. I guess it makes you an extra buck, but I wouldn't imagine a large provider forgetting to close a paypal subscription on their end.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2855480/#Comment_2855480

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2856734/#Comment_2856734

• Another way to think of paypal subscriptions is to think of online banking.
    If you setup in your banking account, an amount to be paid each month for something like your phone bill, and then you decide to change providers, it will not stop the preset payments you made. You have to go and remove it. As inorder for it to be there, you would have had to set it up.

• xaocxaoc Member

@AnthonySmith said:

xaoc said: What they(providers) should do is inform customers that they have received a payment for a service that has been canceled and offer to refund in case the payment was done in error. In the above scenario the customer is at fault however. Does paypal charge for refunds cause these guys make it sound like it's a burden to issue refunds even on payments made by mistake.

Literally every part of that has already been covered on page 1 in significant detail.

I do usually fast'read trough the useless walls of texts so maybe i've missed it, no need to get hostile, a simple yes/no would have sufficed. To answer my own question:

When you issue a full refund using the "Issue Refund" link, we credit the variable portion of your transaction fee, while the fixed portion of the fee ($0.30 USD per transaction) is not refundable.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Jona4s said: Yeah. I can see providers like you following that practice of deliberately not closing the subscription after a cancellation is made. I guess it makes you an extra buck, but I wouldn't imagine a large provider forgetting to close a paypal subscription on their end.

Is this some sort of joke?

It's not the host's responsibility to do that. There is no way for the host to 'charge' a paypal. A subscription payment is akin to a standing order. The paypal account is setup to automatically transfer a set amount every billing period to another paypal account, and so should be terminated within the user's own paypal account.

Most hosts already include in the cancellation email that the customer needs to remember to cancel any subscriptions/standing orders that may exist. So I don't know what the heck you're on about.

FYI, it does cost provider's to process refunds. It's not exactly fair that hosts normally end up absorbing these costs despite being the fault of the client. But that's how it generally goes.

Falzo said: f*cking millenial.

OI! Not all millenials are morons.

Thanked by 2Falzo MichaelCee
  • @randvegeta said:

Falzo said: f*cking millenial.

OI! Not all millenials are morons.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @FHR said:

@Janevski said:
    His cancelation request is prior to the first of May 2018, the date of it's cancelation confirmation. Now, he got charged around the fourth of August 2018 - the provider took his money, for no viable reason. They must give him back his money, not as a store credits, but as real money. Otherwise, this is a theft.

The provider didn't take his money nor charge him. OP sent them the money. That's how PayPal subscriptions work. In this case, it's entirely OP's fault since they have to manually cancel the subscription from the PayPal dashboard - the provider cannot do it.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Janevski said:

@FHR said:

@Janevski said:
    His cancelation request is prior to the first of May 2018, the date of it's cancelation confirmation. Now, he got charged around the fourth of August 2018 - the provider took his money, for no viable reason. They must give him back his money, not as a store credits, but as real money. Otherwise, this is a theft.

The provider didn't take his money nor charge him. OP sent them the money. That's how PayPal subscriptions work. In this case, it's entirely OP's fault since they have to manually cancel the subscription from the PayPal dashboard - the provider cannot do it.

Technically providers can do it, but normally this requires direct access to the PayPal account of the provider. So a sales / billing rep would normally not be able to do that as normally only a small number of staff will be given access to the PayPal account. Likewise, even if you have some integration with the billing system, you don't want your staff to have the ability to issue refunds and cancel subs willy nilly as that's an angle of "attack".

So even though it is technically possible for the host to cancel a subscription payment, there are some hurdles that would be faced by most hosts (that are larger than just 1 man bands) that make it unfeasible. So the only reasonable thing to expect is for the client/buyer to cancel it themselves. It is the client who sets it up after all.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

andreblue said: Another way to think of paypal subscriptions is to think of online banking. If you setup in your banking account, an amount to be paid each month for something like your phone bill, and then you decide to change providers, it will not stop the preset payments you made. You have to go and remove it. As inorder for it to be there, you would have had to set it up.

If I pay my phone company after I have cancelled service, they will send check in the mail refunding me my money.

I don't have problem with companies that refund the money, even if they subtract a Paypal fee. But if they just keep it that is shady.

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited August 2018

@perennate said:

andreblue said: Another way to think of paypal subscriptions is to think of online banking. If you setup in your banking account, an amount to be paid each month for something like your phone bill, and then you decide to change providers, it will not stop the preset payments you made. You have to go and remove it. As inorder for it to be there, you would have had to set it up.

If I pay my phone company after I have cancelled service, they will send check in the mail refunding me my money.

I don't have problem with companies that refund the money, even if they subtract a Paypal fee. But if they just keep it that is shady.

bad analogy. that's probably thanks to regulation. Now a cell phone company providing prepaid service have no refund policy for services whereas their post paid plan has to have a refund policy.

perennate said: If I pay my phone company after I have cancelled service, they will send check in the mail refunding me my money.

You still seem to not understand the difference between pre paid subscriptions/paypal subscriptions and post billing i.e. contracts.

Or maybe you are just a super nice guy :) I don't think whipping boys make good company leaders though.

edited August 2018

AnthonySmith said: You still seem to not understand the difference between pre paid subscriptions/paypal subscriptions and post billing i.e. contracts.

Or maybe you are just a super nice guy :) I don't think whipping boys make good company leaders though.

Yep, scamming your clients for a couple dollars is a great way to attract more customers.

You seem to not understand that just because someone makes an accidental payment doesn't mean you can legally go and process that charge as an add funds request or something else that the client did not purchase.

But keep scamming your clients, I'll have my popcorn ready when you get sued (assuming your pitiful "Inception Hosting" scam operation ever attracts any customer large enough to sue you, which is unlikely).

Thanked by 1Jona4s
    edited August 2018

needavps said: bad analogy. that's probably thanks to regulation.

Wasn't my analogy. Anyway, if it was bad then yours is completely idiotic. When you sign up a subscription for a VPS you aren't signing up for prepaid credit, you are making a recurring payment for that VPS. Have fun explaining that you arbitrarily changed what the customer was paying for to a judge (oh, so like this dude made this payment rite, so we liek made up this invoice for it so we cud keep the $$$)!

And no, just because you say you'll do illegal things in your terms of service doesn't make it legal.

edited August 2018

@perennate said:

needavps said: bad analogy. that's probably thanks to regulation.

Wasn't my analogy. Anyway, if it was bad then yours is completely idiotic. When you sign up a subscription for a VPS you aren't signing up for prepaid credit, you are making a recurring payment for that VPS. Have fun explaining that you arbitrarily changed what the customer was paying for to a judge (oh, so like this dude made this payment rite, so we liek made up this invoice for it so we cud keep the $$$)!

And no, just because you say you'll do illegal things in your terms of service doesn't make it legal.

I like you are consumer friendly and that is long term good sense but you are just being silly. You dont sign up for subscription for a vps; technically. It is an option for the consumer to sign up for a subscription via paypal. This is very different. Providers don't have control have subscriptions by paypal so obviously it is common sense for a provider to refund when appropriate. Those that don't in this thread; I won't bother with.

Actually you might be confused. There is another option to grant permission to charge your account which you should promptly cancel.

• Just as a side note. You folks act like the customer goes to PayPal and sets the sub up.

Unh no. I've had several occurances where one was set up by the host without it being obvious it was being done.

So the best way to avoid this happening is for everyone to not deal with hosts that set these up automatically as part of the sign up.

Plus check your paypal frequently to eliminate any you may find.

edited August 2018

@lazyt said:
    Just as a side note. You folks act like the customer goes to PayPal and sets the sub up.

Unh no. I've had several occurances where one was set up by the host without it being obvious it was being done.

So the best way to avoid this happening is for everyone to not deal with hosts that set these up automatically as part of the sign up.

Plus check your paypal frequently to eliminate any you may find.

Yes. the checkout process usually involves a "mandatory" agreement but it is shown on the screens unless you are not paying attention. You can blame paypal for not having an option for the buyer to opt out or probably the Seller forcing it on the buyer knowing there is no denial option. Just don't use paypal. :D

Thanked by 1MrH