Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Server 2016 on Online.net c2750 CPU speeds
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows Server 2016 on Online.net c2750 CPU speeds

Dear All,

I've run into an issue where I've installed Joodle's windows server 2016 templat on my
XC DEALS 1701.1 server. It all works well, except that the clock speed is limited to 1.18 GHz that is probably caused by the incorrect drivers or the inability of checking the CPU temp hence running on low clock speed.

How would you go about fixing this issue? Also, have anybody managed to get iKVM java console to work? (I mean to accept inputs from the guest PC - I can see the stream but it does not respond to any input).

Best regards,
Ben

Comments

• Have you set the Power Profile to be on High Performance?

Windows 10 out of the box by default goes on the Balanced profile which throttles the CPU to lower clock speeds if the machine isn't being actively used.

• @TriJetScud said:
    Have you set the Power Profile to be on High Performance?

Windows 10 out of the box by default goes on the Balanced profile which throttles the CPU to lower clock speeds if the machine isn't being actively used.

Yup, done that.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Check the below link, on mobile but think it’s relevent -

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000007073/processors.html

• OP has already set the power profile to High Performance.

• Install proxmox, buy failover IP and install KVM windows server and you can bypass the clock speed limits.

• @AlexanderM I've also come to the conclusion that it's an issue with speedstep however I cannot disable it in the bios since the iKVM is not fully working for me.

@stefeman I'm using the server as a hyper-v learning box hence why it's not proxmos and the win server in it.

• @stefeman said:
    Install proxmox, buy failover IP and install KVM windows server and you can bypass the clock speed limits.

Why would proxmox help bypass clock speed limits?

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited August 2018

@plumberg said:

@stefeman said:
    Install proxmox, buy failover IP and install KVM windows server and you can bypass the clock speed limits.

Why would proxmox help bypass clock speed limits?

My guess would to possibly avoid the throttleing of CPU due to bad drivers or Windows bug.

On my laptop when using Windows it will randomly lock to 800 MHz and only thd way to unlock it is keep restarting it until gone, but on Linux never once had CPU throttling issue.

• Well, my question is this then: how can I get iKVM to work? (so I can disable speedstep in the bios)

• Is that a Dell system?

• Supermicro

• I have managed to make that iKVM thingy for Supermicro work on a Win XP VM with Java 6 (not with online.net though) in the past. I know its super insecure in 2018, but you might want to give that a try.

Thanked by 1Cpt_Ben