Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can my 384MB VPS take any more? (Mailserver)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can my 384MB VPS take any more? (Mailserver)

BigBlueBigBlue Member
edited October 2013 in Help

Hey LET community,

I'm currently running a small VPS with Debian 7, sporting nginx (serving static sites), a Seafile server and two voice servers (Mumble and TeamSpeak 3).
The server uses up around 90MB in idle state and up to 250MB under load, although it can also be 384MB+ (using VSwap) when doing updates.

Now, I'm wondering if this box can still pack a small mailserver like detailed here without causing too much load.
I might omit ClamAV, but spam-protection and SMTP capability ready for multiple devices should be there.

Does any of you have any experience with this setup and can estimate how much it'll roughly occupy?

Comments

• You should be fine so long as you aren't taking heavy mail traffic.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

SMTP will not be a problem, under normal traffic site, but spam filters can. I had a big 3 GB server with 4 cores phenom taken down by a spam avalanche of hundreds of mails per minute, but i had OCR enabled, bayesian filters and whatnot. Basic list checking will be doable, though, even with moderate traffic. I assume your provider will not have an issue with spikes at times (they will happen).

• Thank you both for your help. I think I'm going to try this soon, but I think I'll get myself a backup VPS with another hoster, just in case anything happens that'd make me lose mail.