Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrating VMware vm
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Migrating VMware vm

Does anyone know how to migrate a Vmware ESXI v5 VM from one node to another without using VMware vMotion?

I found a tool called veam that supposedly works without VMware vMotion but I can't get it work so i'm wondering if there is some other way.

Comments

• you can just backup the files and scp them?

• @spammy said:
    you can just backup the files and scp them?

True, i'm leaving that as a last resort though - I prefer a way to just migrate the VM as it is from one Esxi host to another.

• hzrhzr Member

zafouhar said: just migrate the VM as it is from one Esxi host to another.

This would be vmotion.

• @Jack said:
    If you scp’d the vmdk you should be able to import it to inventory on the other host?

Oh I didn't think of that, I guess i'll try that as it sounds simple

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

You can use veeam to replicate the vm.
    Good thing is that you can do thw initial replication live and then shut down the original and replicate only the changed blocks.

Don’t do backups in this case as you have to restore them at the other location .
    If you decide to scp, do the whole directory and dont forget to turn it of while transferring.

• vmware converter standalone. works perfect to move a vm to another esxi

Thanked by 1hardgamers
  • I don't know if it would work with ESX 5. I use 5.5. But I use VMWare Workstation to move VMs between ESX hosts. It's a bit round-about way and inefficient but it's really convenient and simple. Basically, I just download the VM to the the VMmare Workstation client and then I upload it to the other ESX host.

• EvixoEvixo Member
    edited August 2018

Yes, you can actually use Veeam Quick Migration (see the docs https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/quick_migration.html?ver=95) if you do not have vMotion licensed.

Without a vMotion license, you can always migrate it to another host (assuming you have vCenter), by right clicking on the VM and choose "migrate".