Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SpiderOak - Unlimited storage plan
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SpiderOak - Unlimited storage plan

SpiderOak unlimited storage plan is back.

https://spideroak.com/august2018unlimited/

Thanked by 3vovler ehab Yura

Comments

• Now let's wait for someone on reddit to try to upload a few petabytes

• deankdeank Member, Troll

In before somebody is looking for the same deal for 7/year.

• @vovler said:
    Now let's wait for someone on reddit to try to upload a few petabytes

That would be interesting to see, it may be better now but my experience of their client whilst it works, fast it isn't.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@dragon2611 said:

@vovler said:
    Now let's wait for someone on reddit to try to upload a few petabytes

That would be interesting to see, it may be better now but my experience of their client whilst it works, fast it isn't.

I’ve used it to upload a lot recently, and the bottleneck was my terrible upload rather than the client - what sort of performance issues did you experience?

• YuraYura Member

Have been $149 last year. $179 now.

• cirrus_cloudcirrus_cloud Member
    edited August 2018

Avoid for the following reasons (to name a few):

1. Upload is slow (like 1-2 MB/s max)

2. Download is slow

3. Service (likely) stops working once there's too many files in my experience (like 100k to 1 million+). I contacted their support about this, and they seemed to think this.

4. Client doesn't work. See the reason above this with too many files. The restore is painfully slow. Like one file every 5 seconds (if it even works at all). It takes minutes to start working.

5. I couldn't get this to work on a VPS.

6. It's only possible to restore one file at a time on a certain date without using the commandline, I believe.

Avoid.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

Expensive.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2018

One of the most sustainable unlimited offerings, because it isn't too cheap and the "let's fill it up to intentionally make them stop offering it" people don't want it :P

• @jar said:
    One of the most sustainable unlimited offerings, because it isn't too cheap and the "let's fill it up to intentionally make them stop offering it" people don't want it :P

It's bad even without abusing. It might be OK with a lower file count, but there's cheaper / better offerings for people who just want 1-2 TB of storage. It was completely unusable for 1.5 TB because of my file count, I believe.

I've read a lot of r/DataHoarder, and people have reported the service is throttled for those with a lot of data (like backing up media files). Backblaze or Google Drive is probably the best for abusers right now, considering they're both more functional and cheaper.

Thanked by 1jar
  • First time to hear this service, looks good. I'll dig in...

I really love wasabi.com for fast and cheap storage, if you're interested in looking at something a bit better based on what people are saying about spideroak. It's $5 per TB and I don't know about everywhere, but here it's so fast I have it mounted to my desktop as a drive and I use it for backing up the movies on my external.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • @jar said:
    I really love wasabi.com for fast and cheap storage, if you're interested in looking at something a bit better based on what people are saying about spideroak. It's $5 per TB and I don't know about everywhere, but here it's so fast I have it mounted to my desktop as a drive and I use it for backing up the movies on my external.

Yeah, Wasabi is one of the providers I'm using for backups since cancelling SpiderOak.

• Oh that's cool!

https://i.imgur.com/O5fFg1Y.png

..ah.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2018

@Tyler said:
    Oh that's cool!

https://i.imgur.com/O5fFg1Y.png

..ah.

What’s the problem with that ?

We’re talking extremely cheap stuff, no ?

• I've used SpiderOak in the past, a few years ago. Was quite fond of it, but slow as hell. Client was slow, bandwith was slow, restores were slow. Sluggy fealing software, not open source. (Slitt not altough they claim to release it sometime in the future, but they still do that and haven't released it yet.

• @jar said:

How does this compare to Blackblaze B2.. They also have very competitive pricing, but don't have long proven record on B2 side yet.

edited August 2018

letrocks said: How does this compare to Blackblaze B2.. They also have very competitive pricing, but don't have long proven record on B2 side yet.

On speed from where I'm at (Texas) I'd say probably similar, but if I'm being honest I use Wasabi on my desktop a bit and I only used B2 for server backups, so they were more "out of sight" after the first few runs, and I might have missed any variations in it's performance. On pricing though, Wasabi obviously wins for the simplicity.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2018

I'm quite fond of SpiderOak since they were first on the scene with client side encryption . I think I still have a grandfathered 'free' plan with 5-7GB space(shall try after upgrade to 18.04)

I recall they had an 'SFTP mirror' option in their client to keep a copy of the encrypted bits on your own server/vps/sftp space. Is it still there?

Although for unlimited storage, I expect the Gsuite offering is better (on an infrastructure basis) .

Thanked by 1libleoblue
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

I had a free 5GB plan for a few years but last year I decided to cancel. I wasn't so fond of the SpiderOak client though it did improve a lot over the years, but ultimately, I decided that I wasn't paranoid enough to put up with the slowness of uploads and downloads.