Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS "eMail-address list leaked"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS "eMail-address list leaked"

perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

EDIS has been informed that email addresses which have been used with EDIS services are listed at http://haveibeenpwned.com. We do confirm that these email-adresses are part of our client-database. We strongly recommend that our clients take precautious measures and change their account-passwords used with EDIS VPS services. Please note that no payment-data like credit cards details has been leaked - all payment relevant data is stored with our payment providers like PayPal or Royal Bank of Scotland (WorldPay, FuturePay).

Management-interfaces are down for maintenance and will be back online after the investigation is completed.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused!

Best regards,
Yours EDIS Team

Thanked by 1ehab

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Sounds like they have no idea how it leaked yet, but I guess they are looking into it.

• This is going to fun as I believe EDIS is an EU provider, it will be interesting to see how they will handle this under GDPR law.

• LeviLevi Member

@zafouhar said:
    This is going to fun as I believe EDIS is an EU provider, it will be interesting to see how they will handle this under GDPR law.

Could you name any compnay punished under gdpr? Its a theoretical law

• @LTniger said:

@zafouhar said:
    This is going to fun as I believe EDIS is an EU provider, it will be interesting to see how they will handle this under GDPR law.

Could you name any compnay punished under gdpr? Its a theoretical law

I never said they would be punished by the law though, I just want to see how they handle according to the GDPR law

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2018

zafouhar said: I never said they would be punished by the law though, I just want to see how they handle according to the GDPR law

Do not worry, the lawyer for EDIS is probably the best in the city and in the same building plu something like a landlord.

Leaked seems be WHMCS only, as my old company mail shows not up as pwned.

The law is likely not implemented into code yet anyway, countries can wait until the deadline but have no choice then obviously, but retroactive laws are unconstitutional so it is not usable if it did not exist yet.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2018

double

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

@zafouhar said:

The breach notification from EDIS (which arrived only 3 hours after that from HIBP!) is a good start.

The only data that has leaked publicly are e-mail addresses, in a paste on Pastebin; passwords were not included. However, such pastes usually indicate that more data is floating around privately.

William said: The law is likely not implemented into code yet anyway, countries can wait until the deadline but have no choice then obviously, but retroactive laws are unconstitutional so it is not usable if it did not exist yet.

GDPR is a regulation, not a directive; it has already taken effect and is immediately applicable in all member countries, no local legislation is necessary for that.

• joepie91 said: GDPR is a regulation, not a directive; it has already taken effect and is immediately applicable in all member countries, no local legislation is necessary for that.

Then it does not matter anyway most likely local and first cases will take years to process - even with written laws Austria sucks in time needed for any case.

Same if damages are calculated out of business turnover/profit (like EU fines) but they realise too late that most actual value (eg. license payments as Apple does) is not in the company prosecuted at all.

@William said:

joepie91 said: GDPR is a regulation, not a directive; it has already taken effect and is immediately applicable in all member countries, no local legislation is necessary for that.

Then it does not matter anyway most likely local and first cases will take years to process - even with written laws Austria sucks in time needed for any case.

Same if damages are calculated out of business turnover/profit (like EU fines) but they realise too late that most actual value (eg. license payments as Apple does) is not in the company prosecuted at all.

I mean, it's going to depend on how proactive the local privacy watchdog is, since that's who's tasked with enforcing the GDPR generally.

William said: Same if damages are calculated out of business turnover/profit (like EU fines) but they realise too late that most actual value (eg. license payments as Apple does) is not in the company prosecuted at all.

The percentage is taken of worldwide revenue for a company (as a whole, subsidiaries and all) to prevent precisely that workaround :)

An update on the incident:

Dear Sven,

EDIS just finished investigating yesterdays incident.

We are relieved to bring the good news that no systems were hacked, no personal and no sensitive data has been compromised.

An in-house API function was identified as the root-cause of the "data breach".

The function provided a list with email-addresses assigned to a particular VPS hostnode.

The corresponding function was identified and deactivated immediately.

No personal data and no sensitive data (payment details, passwords, ...) was compromised.

We are currently undertaking all API functions a thorough security audit.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience!

Best regards,

Yours EDIS Team

Thanked by 2Aidan Lee