Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy Sysadmin Appreciation Day 2018 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Happy Sysadmin Appreciation Day 2018

2»

Comments

• @vimalware said:
    I suppose they really want to continue advertising their brand as having unmetered everywhere. Can't blame them.

agree with you, but 2MB/s Incoming traffic is too slow.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@moni099878 said:

2MB/s is consider not bad given that it is unmetered. That also equivalent to 5TB/m

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @FAT32 said:

@moni099878 said:

2MB/s is consider not bad given that it is unmetered. That also equivalent to 5TB/m

When I need to download large files, 2MB/s may take several times longer than 10MB/s.

• eKoeKo Member

-50% 3.49 € 1.7450 €
    Promo code: SYSADMINDAY2018

Sounds OK! Got one!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

When I first got into IT as a pro, my goal was to be a Senior Unix Systems Administrator.

By the time I got there, being a Unix systems administrator was the last thing I wanted to be and I was looking for something else.

I admire good SAs and I really like sysadmin work. I used to do big Sun stuff (E10000, E6000, etc.) back in the day, and a lot of smaller systems later. The job is a pain in the ass job because

• you're at the bottom of the food chain in most orgs because app teams rule the roost. You're never going to get the downtimes you want. Upgrades languish. It's obvious to you how to consolidate and optimize, but when you factor in the time and effort required by the app teams, it no longer pencils out, and they don't want to do it anyway and who are you again? Over and over and over.

• you'll have brief moments of hope following 9/11 or a big vuln, when someone in management briefly gets it. But whatever "let's patch regularly and not run EOSL operating systems" momentum will quickly fade and you'll be bitter again.

• when you do get downtimes, they're at 2am.

• when some asshole buys an exploit and writes a worm, it's your problem. Usually at 2am.

• all problems start with you (or the network team). "Our app is slow...let's start by having someone check the server." Over and over and over. It's never the server.

• half your colleagues are scriptophobes. Ultimately, my experience is that if you want to be a good sysadmin, you need to be a good scripter, and the bigger the team, the more you'll run into SAs who are not strong scripters. I don't think you can be a senior SA without being a good shell coder and something more like perl or python, but a lot of SAs are screwdriver-turning meatheads. This makes it hard to make SA life easy.

• SA work is kind of the junction point between blue collar and IT white collar, so half the people you work with will be ex-military, trade school, etc. Your dev colleagues will play D&D, go to Lovecraft festivals, brew craft beer at home, and discuss art museums at lunch. Your SA colleagues will tell fart jokes and spend their Friday nights getting drunk in strip clubs. (In truth, a lot of devs are pretentious egomaniacs so you're not really missing much, except better beer.)

• you'll have a favorite OS but you'll spend half your time working on OSes you hate. I never worked on Windows as a pro but a lot of my friends were switch-hitters and they either hated Unix or hated Windows. Your company will dump some piece of shit in your lap (HP-UX anyone?) and you get to Rosetta Stone it to figure out why all your scripts are broken ("oh, the ps flags are different...how nicely arbitrary.")

• you'll use Debian at home. You'll love Debian. It has everything. It's so easy to use. Everything is where it should be. All your favorite tutorials use it. Then you'll go to work and type "apt-get install nginx" and realize you're on RHEL5 and be bitter.

• in big companies they'll make you use big gross enterprise tools and you'll constantly say things like "we're spending $2,000 for a license for IBM Data Center Dipstick and Cyberproctologist and all it does is ping servers and I could do that with a perl script" and you'll be lectured on enterprise integrations.

• you're pure expense and companies would love to get rid of you. They'll look for cloud offerings that don't have an OS or talk about how the OS has become a commodity - which it has, but then so have cars and we still need mechanics. You'll be outsourced and insourced and overextended.

Best SA job I ever had was when I was a Unix SA consultant...so my employer treated me as a profit center and my clients treated me as salvation. Worst was when the Unix team also handled backups. If I needed work, I might be an SA again...I think it'd have to be the Great Depression II before I'd take a job as a backup admin.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So, excuse me, but I came here to see the deals. Where are the deals ?!

• ehabehab Member

better watch this then

https://days.to/until/black-friday

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • is the itldc code still working? i was trying to use it and i always get the error message that i cant use it because i cannot add the code to already ordered services. but there is no earlier timepoint to enter the code rather than the end of the ordering process....

really strange...