Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TIME4VPS 50% OFF, TODAY ONLY, Only 100 coupons are provided
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TIME4VPS 50% OFF, TODAY ONLY, Only 100 coupons are provided

NickmanNickman Member
edited July 2018 in General

with aff https://www.time4vps.eu/?affid=2219

without aff https://www.time4vps.eu/

Today is SysAdminDay!
Our congratulations with your professional holiday!
System administrator's profession is much similar with the profession of a doctor – nobody cares until everything works fine, but when something breaks down everybody goes crazy by asking to “heal” it.

And we are enormously grateful for making it works! To prove that, we're giving you 50% OFF VPS, storage hosting and VPN services!

Use promo code: 404
Use this promo code and get 50% OFF Time4VPS Standard VPS, Storage hosting and VPN service. The discount is not recurring and can be applied once. Only 100 coupons are provided!

I'm a holder of time4vps, with one vps, and one vpn.
to be frankly, the disk I/O is not so good, but it's cheap and stable, I hold the server from 2017-12-29. and the vps keep online over 200 days.
also, their after-service reply soon, I always get answer from the ticket in about 3-5 hours

Thanked by 1JerryHou

Comments

• Got it too, not recurring :(

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Got it too, not recurring :(

i order it for one year

• Nice offer

• Non recurring? :(

• xaocxaoc Member

@Nickman said:

@FlamesRunner said:

i order it for one year

Much bigger discount if you pay for 2 years. KVM > OVZ price wise, 36 for 2 year OVZ vs 54 KVM. xD

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

xaoc said: Much bigger discount if you pay for 2 years. KVM > OVZ price wise, 36 for 2 year OVZ vs 54 KVM. xD

This. Such a great deal. I host my nextcloud with time4vps, stopped paying for dropbox finally.

• EvpaEvpa Member

Look at https://billing.time4vps.eu/status
    2 issues on 2 nodes from 23 july with inaccessible servers are still in progress...

@Evpa said:
    Look at https://billing.time4vps.eu/status
    2 issues on 2 nodes from 23 july with inaccessible servers are still in progress...

Makes sense. As cheap as they sell storage for, you know they have massive RAID arrays that take forever to run a fsck on.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Thanks! Ordering 1 for 2 years.

• @jarland said:

xaoc said: Much bigger discount if you pay for 2 years. KVM > OVZ price wise, 36 for 2 year OVZ vs 54 KVM. xD

This. Such a great deal. I host my nextcloud with time4vps, stopped paying for dropbox finally.

I originally hosted my nextcloud there but ran away once I discovered kvm with encryption.

How do you overcome that issue or aren't you as paranoid as me? Lol

• seanhoseanho Member

@dahartigan said:

@jarland said:
    I host my nextcloud with time4vps, stopped paying for dropbox finally.

I originally hosted my nextcloud there but ran away once I discovered kvm with encryption.

How do you overcome that issue or aren't you as paranoid as me? Lol

Stick to providers you trust. A KVM's memory dump can be searched for encryption keys. Even with a dedi, you have to trust the provider won't mess with your initramfs.

But it's really not a smart business move for a provider to go snooping in their customers' containers. A provider that is serious about being in the business (i.e., not a summerhost) will have clear safeguards around customer data.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited July 2018

@seanho said:

Stick to providers you trust. A KVM's memory dump can be searched for encryption keys. Even with a dedi, you have to trust the provider won't mess with your initramfs.

But it's really not a smart business move for a provider to go snooping in their customers' containers. A provider that is serious about being in the business (i.e., not a summerhost) will have clear safeguards around customer data.

Excellent advice regarding trusted providers. It's not that I don't trust the providers in most cases, it's the possibility that a vz node could be compromised by someone else with I'll intent and access to the files, which is trivial at that point.

Edit: I've found so far that storing sensitive things inside an encrypted file stored on nextcloud on encrypted lvm relaxes the paranoia to an acceptable level lol

dahartigan said: How do you overcome that issue or aren't you as paranoid as me? Lol

If you can't afford to lose it, be careful where you put it. That's my general philosophy.

Thanked by 2Waldo19 dahartigan
  • @jarland said:

If you can't afford to lose it, be careful where you put it. That's my general philosophy.

Giggity.

Thanked by 2jar vimalware
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited July 2018

@jarland said:

Solid advice, thanks! I wish I had that philosophy before I met my ex wife but hey, that's the way she goes.

@JaySherman said:
    Giggity.

Lol, see above.

Edit: I just remembered the time4vps calendar. I know exactly where I would love to store my "sensitive things". Giggity.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @xaoc said:

@Nickman said:

@FlamesRunner said:

i order it for one year

Much bigger discount if you pay for 2 years. KVM > OVZ price wise, 36 for 2 year OVZ vs 54 KVM. xD

Nice find... I grabbed a storage plan. :)

• @xaoc said:

@Nickman said:

@FlamesRunner said:

i order it for one year

i don't think KVM is neccesary, as the storage server is normally used for backup, as OVZ is cheaper, I still prefer OVZ