Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help finding DNS or nameserver for .de domain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help finding DNS or nameserver for .de domain

nicof23nicof23 Member

Hi. I need help finding DNS/nameserver for .de domain, free or paid. Preferred free nameserver. Any recommended nameserver? Thanks.

Comments

• Most registrars offer free dns if you are buying the domain through them. For example, namecheap which offers .de domains have a free dns service. I use enom but I've not tried their free dns offering.

• ajh76ajh76 Member

Apparently .de has some technical requirements for nameservers.

1. Each nameserver must be on a separate class-C network. That is, the first three octets cannot be the same. For example, 216.1.69.1 and 68.42.99.120 are valid.
    2. You must have a Start of Authority (SOA) refresh value between 10000 and 86400 seconds.
    3. You must have a retry value between 1800 and 28800 seconds.
    4. You must have a Time to Live (TTL) value between 180 and 345600.
    5. You must specify a Mail Exchanger (MX) record that resolves to a valid mail server for the life of the domain name registration, not just for the registration itself.
    6. Serial numbers for all nameserver zones for the domain name must match.

I believe most of the popular ones like Cloudflare, dns.he.net, ClouDNS should work.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • williewillie Member

Digital Ocean has a new free DNS service that looks interesting for various reasons (e.g. it has an API). I wonder if it satisfies those .de requirements.

• @birchbeer said:
    Most registrars offer free dns if you are buying the domain through them. For example, namecheap which offers .de domains have a free dns service. I use enom but I've not tried their free dns offering.

I see. Thanks. Though I'm aware of Namecheap's free DNS, but I may looking at other domain registrars to register my .de domain with. Also, I can't find enom sign-up and it might be not that good compared to NC.

• @ajh76 said:
    Apparently .de has some technical requirements for nameservers.

1. Each nameserver must be on a separate class-C network. That is, the first three octets cannot be the same. For example, 216.1.69.1 and 68.42.99.120 are valid.
    2. You must have a Start of Authority (SOA) refresh value between 10000 and 86400 seconds.
    3. You must have a retry value between 1800 and 28800 seconds.
    4. You must have a Time to Live (TTL) value between 180 and 345600.
    5. You must specify a Mail Exchanger (MX) record that resolves to a valid mail server for the life of the domain name registration, not just for the registration itself.
    6. Serial numbers for all nameserver zones for the domain name must match.

I believe most of the popular ones like Cloudflare, dns.he.net, ClouDNS should work.

I know those requirements, hence this question exist. But I'm trying Cloudflare or ClouDNS since I already have those accounts. Still need more info how to setup those for .de domain use.

• @willie This one.. I'm not sure. I may need more info on what nameserver to use and how it would pass those requirements. If you know how to setup these nameservers according to requirements, that would be helpful.

• birchbeerbirchbeer Member
    edited July 2018

@nicof23 said:

@birchbeer said:
    Most registrars offer free dns if you are buying the domain through them. For example, namecheap which offers .de domains have a free dns service. I use enom but I've not tried their free dns offering.

I see. Thanks. Though I'm aware of Namecheap's free DNS, but I may looking at other domain registrars to register my .de domain with. Also, I can't find enom sign-up and it might be not that good compared to NC.

Enom can be found at https://www.enom.com - Enom is part of Tucows which is a Canadian public company and the second-largest domain registrar in the world. They have been around since the 90's.

The .de TLD is available through eNom and they do offer free basic DNS when you purchase domains through them.

Namecheap actually used to be a domain reseller on the Enom platform before Namecheap got their own registrar credentials. There's some bad blood between those 2 companies and they severed their relationship which also resulted in a lawsuit last year about some contested domains.