Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ploi.io - RunCloud, ServerPilot, etc. alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ploi.io - RunCloud, ServerPilot, etc. alternative?

BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

https://ploi.io/

Found them on WHT. It seems to be a deploy tool.

Anyone using them? or tried them out? they do have a free plane for maintaining just 1 site

Comments

• vovlervovler Member

Updated Date: 2018-05-03T20:32:53Z

Creation Date: 2018-03-04T14:32:47Z

I like these auto-deploy tools, but I'd like them better if it was possible to self-host them in a master server.

If Ploi, RunCloud, ServerPilot get compromised, so gets your project. RunCloud and ServerPilot are more established than Ploi, and if I had to, I'd go with them rather than Ploi.

• ArisCArisC Member

As Vovler said... If one of this services get compromised well R.I.P. If they had an option to self-host the panel it would be much better...

• Just got a notification from an admin telling this topic exists. I am the owner and creator of Ploi.io, I just posted a topic regarding some feedback; https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/149732/ploi-deploy-tool-feedback-wanted

I feel with you on the compromised thing, eventually this is with everything the same. I can say that we take security very seriously, each server gets its own ssh-keypair generated which are all saved encrytped.

In other words; each piece of information that can cause damage is saved encrypted and can only be decoded with a specific key.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited July 2018

let me test

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

I guess the staff can close this thread and we can divert all the replies/discussions on the other thread by @Cannonb4lls

• williewillie Member

I think the other thread was @Cannonb4lls asking for suggestions about how to improve Ploi, not about general comparisons between such products.

• williewillie Member

Btw can anyone explain what these things do compared with traditional stuff like Ansible or Chef? Thanks.

• I've not used Ansible. For me, runcloud, serverpilot replaces cpanel/whm.

Thanked by 1willie
  • garetdevsgaretdevs Member
    edited May 2019

vovler said: I like these auto-deploy tools, but I'd like them better if it was possible to self-host them in a master server.

If Ploi, RunCloud, ServerPilot get compromised, so gets your project. RunCloud and ServerPilot are more established than Ploi, and if I had to, I'd go with them rather than Ploi.

Well that is the whole point. So many of these deploy panels now, but every single one of them is closed-source and proprietary and you have no input on configuration or improvement.

Nearly all of them are configured by 1-2 guys so its just like hiring a sysadmin to run all your servers but you get a cute little UI with a couple options (not many).

Tons of copies now like Cloudron, SpinupWP, Cloudways, blah blah.

Much better you use the panel of your favorite cloud network or datacenter directly and then manage your own servers with the configuration script you like, preferably a script that allows you to customize and optimize your server and stack settings and is open source software.

willie said: Btw can anyone explain what these things do compared with traditional stuff like Ansible or Chef? Thanks.

I'm not even sure they can tell you. Years ago DigitalOcean kept featuring ServerPilot as an example of a business you could build "on top" of their network, and it took a few years but dozens of copycats are now coming out of the woodwork. "I can do that too and get rich".

But Ansible, Puppet, Chef are extremely complex. Yes you CAN customize them by choosing the playbook (etc) that you prefer but its like adding another layer in your stack, plus learning another language to figure out how to configure it all the time.

If you want to take it down a notch, there is something like OneInStack also.

Easier just make an account on DigitalOcean or Vultr or Linode or SSDnodes and then manage all your servers there around the world. If you have a problem, they can actually help you diagnose issues with their network..... all these freakin deploy tools can't do crap for you......

LEMP + WordPress scripts:

SlickStack, EasyEngine, WordOps, Webinoly, CentminMod

...SlickStack includes some mu-plugins that focus on improving "technical SEO"
    ......EasyEngine v4 now requires Docker, WordOps is EEv3 fork

All of these are open source and you can actually see what's going into your server. It would be interesting if deploy tools integrated them or something.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

You noticed that this is a nearly 1 year old thread?

• YuraYura Member

@Cannonb4lls said:
    I can say that we take security very seriously

Thanks God you do! I've been burned so many times with kinds like Yahoo, Sony, Marriott... Finally there is someone who says they take security very seriously...

Thanked by 2doghouch nem