Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET/LEB please fix or remove your SPF
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET/LEB please fix or remove your SPF

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited October 2013 in Help

Received-SPF: softfail (lowendtalk.com: Sender is not authorized by default to use '[email protected]' in 'mfrom' identity, however domain is not currently prepared for false failures (mechanism '~all' matched)) receiver=xxxxxxxx.tld; identity=mailfrom; envelope-from="[email protected]"; helo=let2b.lowendbox.com; client-ip=23.94.24.2

I am now moving to rejecting softfail on my MXes (due to the amount of spam that gets through), so this will mean no more mail from LET for me.

The easiest way to fix (we love those, right???) would be to remove all TXT-spf and SPF records from both domains...

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Maybe problem with cluster?

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2013

include:lowendtalk.com

^ Appears to be missing.

I don't really get the point of soft fail. If you're gonna SPF it up, be a man and hard fail it.

Thanked by 3fisle Abdussamad jimpop
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We'll get this fixed, thanks for pointing it out.

• @jarland said:
    I don't really get the point of soft fail. If you're gonna SPF it up, be a man and hard fail it.

Hard-fail will bounce back when forwarding email from MTA to MTA.

• @john_k said:
    Hard-fail will bounce back when forwarding email from MTA to MTA.

Indeed, and that would have made the problem well known to someone long before this discussion.

• Yes, SPF is waaaay long from perfect.

Use it with care.

• @john_k said:
    Yes, SPF is waaaay long from perfect.

Wat??

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Point is, LET has broken (incorrect) SPF, and broken SPF is much worse than no SPF at all, because it can cause mail to be lost.

• jimpopjimpop Member
    edited October 2013

Absence of SPF is worse, it prevents receivers from knowing the intentions of your domain.

Edit: The point being: SPF worked in this case.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Absence of SPF is worse, it prevents receivers from knowing the intentions of your domain.

Blah blah blah...

Absence of SPF => maybe more spam for some random people you never heard of

Presence of wrong SPF => YOUR real legitimate mail being DROPPED by YOUR recipients.

Of course the real answer is to have correct SPF. But you can't argue having none is worse than having it on, but broken.

• @rm_ said:
    Of course the real answer is to have correct SPF.

Which is exactly my point.

@rm_ said:
    But you can't argue having none is worse than having it on, but broken.

Having none is worse (in today's world) because larger receivers will spam-bucket auto-generated content that doesn't meet minimum acceptable best practices. Having it on, but only partially correct, would still get some of LET mail through to gmail/hotmail/yahoo/mail.ru/yandex/zoho/etc.

• @rm_ said:

Absence of spf means that your legitimate mail is going to end up in people's spam folders.

Thanked by 1jimpop
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

SPF is awesome. It's only real failure is that people don't always use it properly on either end.

Thanked by 1jimpop
  • Mail for lowendtalk.com/lowendbox.com has never been correctly configured (at least since LEA left). There's this thing called reverse DNS which is kinda important....

sleddog@home:~$ host lowendtalk.com
    lowendtalk.com has address 141.101.112.208
    lowendtalk.com has address 190.93.243.207
    lowendtalk.com mail is handled by 10 mail1a.lowendbox.com.
    lowendtalk.com mail is handled by 20 mail1b.lowendbox.com.

sleddog@home:~$ host mail1a.lowendbox.com
    mail1a.lowendbox.com has address 23.94.24.50

sleddog@home:~$ host 23.94.24.50
    50.24.94.23.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer host.colocrossing.com.

Thanked by 1jimpop