Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with guaranteed 20/20 Mbps bandwidth and 150gb hhd
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with guaranteed 20/20 Mbps bandwidth and 150gb hhd

PopePope Member
edited July 2018 in Requests

Looking for something like

2 vcpus that can be used at 50% load 24/7
1-2 gb ram
150-200 gb hhd
3-5 tb traffic
Any uplink, e.g. 100Mbps, or 1 Gbps, or 10 Gbps, etc.
Guaranteed 20/20 (40 combined) - 50/50 (100 combined) Mbps download/upload bandwidth i.e.
    even if all other VPSes on the node use up all of the node's bandwidth that they can,
    my VPS'es available bandwidth won't fall below 20/20 - 50/50 even for a second.
1 IPv4
IPv6/64
KVM
US
allows running a personal irc bouncer and a mail server
$50-$65/year

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2018

Pope said: Guaranteed 20/20 (40 combined) - 50/50 (100 combined) Mbps download/upload bandwidth i.e.

even if all other VPSes on the node use up all of the node's bandwidth that they can,
    my VPS'es available bandwidth won't fall below 20/20 - 50/50 even for a second.

There is no way for a provider to guarantee the speeds you get, this is completely dependent on the networks you are transferring to and from at any moment in time. Network routes are not static and vary constantly based on best available route in some cases or based on cost of route in others.

There is no provider which will be able to guarantee that your ISP doesn't throttle your connection, except for your ISP. So if you want to have someone you can hold responsible, host directly with your ISP, only they will be able to make any type of guarantee to you. This also applies when transferring between servers, if the two servers are on different networks, the speed will be determined by the best route available between, not the provider.

Now if you have 2 servers located in the same rack on the same switch, sure they can guarantee that but anything external to their network they only have limited control over and they can not 'guarantee' a speed, only that they will try to provide the best route.

TL;DR:

Your request is not reasonable and no one will be able to 'guarantee' that and if they do, or try to, they are not being truthful. You get what you get. Sometimes certain networks will provide higher throughput, at some points another will, this is the nature of routing.

• As per the comment above, there are quite some providers which we can recommend for "good and stable network", however none of these will be able to 100% guarantee the stuff you request.

However, given that a 20/20 connection uses up about 12TB of traffic per month and should cost around 30 usd/year for the traffic alone (when said traffic is of shit quality), and more when you want good quality, there's not a lot of money left to provide you with basically a dedicated cpu core.

• PopePope Member

On my current provider it often happens that I have 0 /0 down/up speeds for half a minute, but all other times it's something like 400/200. Those drops ruin everything because I lose live camera feed data. For example, what was supposed to be a singe 10 hour video file turns into multiple 3-6 minute video files with maybe 1 or 2 minutes missing in between each of them due to the bandwith dropping below the video's bitrate and the video stopping being downloaded, once the bandwith returns it re-tries to connect to the video feed and records it as a new file. I have no use of those hundreds of 3 minute files with missing data in-between.

@teamacc nope, I won't be using 12tb / month, it's not like I will be using 20/20 bandwidth 24/7 anyway, I will use maybe 1 or 2tb per month, though I'd want 3-4 limit just to future proof, so just cap me at around 3tb.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2018

"Not even a second" (of non availability) translates to more than five nines. Even a provider with excellent service quality would have a hard time to offer that - and then for a dedicated server.

Either append a couple of zeroes to your budget or subtract quite a bit from your availability demands.

That said, what you are looking for is an "American @Clouvider" (apologies I don't know one because I'm strongly Europe focussed). You should be able to get something really decent for a reasonable price as your demand profile is rather standard except for the basically 100% availability dream.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2018

Pope said: On my current provider it often happens that I have 0 /0 down/up speeds for half a minute, but all other times it's something like 400/200. Those drops ruin everything because I lose live camera feed data. For example, what was supposed to be a singe 10 hour video file turns into multiple 3-6 minute video files with maybe 1 or 2 minutes missing in between each of them due to the bandwith dropping below the video's bitrate and the video stopping being downloaded, once the bandwith returns it re-tries to connect to the video feed and records it as a new file. I have no use of those hundreds of 3 minute files with missing data in-between.

This is likely your ISPs fault, not the provider that you have chosens. Especially if your using Comcast, TIme Warner, Cox or the like, they are known to push route changes at random times on their consumer platform (to save $$) and it is likely the cut-outs you see are during the changes they push out. Again, the only way your going to guarantee any speed is if you purchase a services where your ISP actually promises this on their side, for this you will likely nee to purchase business level service or higher. Cable companies usually refrain from changing routes as often during peak business hours on their business class services, so this may be the route you need to take. Rest assured though, business class cable services are not cheap!

Additionally, most cable providers oversell their consumer grade services a lot more than their business services, if this is during a busy time your node may actually be maxing out in your neighborhood and causing the drop out as well.

I would bet this is more an issue of your connection than the provider you have chosen being able to provide the speed to you. You may wish to test by using another provider (any) and see if you can replicate the issue. If it repeats no matter the service you chose, then you know for sure its your service and not theirs.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1vimalware