Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help me choose the best solution for my needs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please help me choose the best solution for my needs?

gunner05gunner05 Member
edited July 2018 in Requests

1- Affordable cloud provider that doesnt bill when server is offline.

2- Ability to power up a windows instance (or bring my own iso) to rdp

3- Prefer a provider that has flexible locations but cheapest will win. (EU or USA)

4- Optional feature: easy to setup owncloud/nextcloud instance (maybe a template?)

Min specs for windows: 2gb ram | 2 cores | 100gb ssd

Approx budget: 15 euros/month depending on specs.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Comments

• I'm not sure you have a WS licensing agreement, so I'll add this: Consumer versions of Windows cannot be run on cloud servers.

Also, you will find very few providers that do not bill offline servers. As usual, they tout "we reserve resources even when offline."

An easy installation of Owncloud can be had without a template, but such a feature is available with many big name cloud providers.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2018

A random google shows $24.95 per month minimum for a legit Windows license so you either have to pay that separately, or run a pirated copy.

Those who don't bill the server when it's offline will tend to bill more on other resource to balance their cost (or who pays for the idle servers cost?). Service like AWS and GCP will not bill offline servers if you agree to pay on-demand price, which is much higher than the all-day-running price. Without knowing how much time would you use the server everyday it could be hard to figure out the on-demand price cost.

Also I believe nextcloud is designed to run on Linux, and may cause problems if you force it to run on Windows platform.

• vovlervovler Member

Even when offline your VPS takes storage space. I don't know any provider that doesn't bill the VPS just cause it's offline

• gunner05gunner05 Member
    edited July 2018

I already own a ws license which expires in 1 year's time.

Do you guys know any good companies to check out? prepaid or hourly is fine. As long as it's flexible and affordable.

• Is 2gb ram, 2vcores, 100gb HDD/SSD cached acceptable?

Windows 2012 iso can be provided but own license will be required. You can also bring your own iso.

Multiple european locations to choose from (FR|UK|FI) and also Canada if useful

£6p/m

Or same specs with NVMe SSD in Germany - £8.50p/m

• @HostDoc

Read the post, you're missing one of his requirements.