Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitor bandwidth use of an openvz container, from shell?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Monitor bandwidth use of an openvz container, from shell?

DroidzoneDroidzone Member
edited October 2013 in Help

I have a system to monitor multiple openvz containers distributed across different hosts, and report their live status to a central service. At the moment, the program can ping IPs, get port open status, live RAM, CPU and disk use. What I dont have at the moment is traffic use monitoring. I'm wondering if you know of methods to monitor traffic use (data use) so that I can integrate such a function into the script.

Since my worker script is perl based, I'd ideally like to have a command that can be run on a shell instance, and get an output.

Comments

• http://openvz.org/Monitoring_bandwidth_of_containers

You can probably edit that or take the parts out that you need to serve your purpose.

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited October 2013

@WebSearchingPro said:
    http://openvz.org/Monitoring_bandwidth_of_containers

You can probably edit that or take the parts out that you need to serve your purpose.

Awesome. Just what I wanted. Now if I could only find out whether I can get the bandwidth quota from within the container...

• @joelgm said:
    Awesome. Just what I wanted. Now if I could only find out whether I can get the bandwidth quota from within the container...

You can use the ifconfig data or iptables of the container within the container, you cannot access the hostnode's data from within the container unfortunately.

• you can use vnstat

vnstat -h : hourly
    vnstat -d : days and so on

• @5n1p said:
    you can use vnstat

vnstat -h : hourly
    vnstat -d : days and so on

Just make sure you set the interface to venet0 in /etc/vnstat.conf so that live traffic monitoring works, vnstat -l.

• In my experience vnstat isn't very accurate anymore. It used to be and I even wrote a guide on installing it on my site. But for some reason newer versions are no longer accurate.