Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Method to push data to Google Drive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Method to push data to Google Drive

warriorwarrior Member
edited July 2018 in Help

I just cancelled my SpeedyKVM DAL-STOR 1 service for$50/y after use promo code.

I have google drive account, and i like to backup my server to google drive, do you have experience backup your server to google drive. the other backup still on vps and only use rsync and auto mysqldump for database. so what your method to push data to google drive. thanks

Comments

• I use rclone and just recently started using Volumerize for my Docker volumes. Between the two, it keeps everything I need up to date. I do a lot of cross account sync that I have a few VPSs that run persistent syncs on as well.

• xNEOxNEO Member

rclone+1,very easy to use.

• @daxterfellowes said:
    I use rclone and just recently started using Volumerize for my Docker volumes. Between the two, it keeps everything I need up to date. I do a lot of cross account sync that I have a few VPSs that run persistent syncs on as well.

@xNEO said:
    rclone+1,very easy to use.

thanks, i'll check rclone at github for docs.

any alternative maybe i can check.

• update: successfully push data, and can hit 300mbps at ovh.

just another question, is google drive will limit the transfer or not based on other experience. also, its really unlimited storage, i use my collage email for this account. thanks

• Upload quota daily will be limited at 750GB. Reset after 24hrs. You can limited your upload at 8MB/s and forget until it's done

Thanked by 1warrior
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@warrior said:
    update: successfully push data, and can hit 300mbps at ovh.

just another question, is google drive will limit the transfer or not based on other experience. also, its really unlimited storage, i use my collage email for this account. thanks

It has a 2 files/sec limit, and 750GB/day upload limit. It's really unlimited, but if your collage decides to delete it...
    Better option is pay 10$/month for GSuite.

Thanked by 2warrior Janevski
  • ChuckChuck Member

do you pay for Google Drive premium?

• szarkaszarka Member

I wouldn't trust Google Drive for server backups. It has a nasty habit of just disappearing files it detects as malware. At the very least, I'd encrypt the files so GD can't scan them.

• @Aluminat said:
    Upload quota daily will be limited at 750GB. Reset after 24hrs. You can limited your upload at 8MB/s and forget until it's done

@AC_Fan said:
    It has a 2 files/sec limit, and 750GB/day upload limit. It's really unlimited, but if your collage decides to delete it...

thanks for sharing you experience, i'll limit it on rclone when push data, i'll push weekly backup anyway.

• @szarka said:
    I wouldn't trust Google Drive for server backups. It has a nasty habit of just disappearing files it detects as malware. At the very least, I'd encrypt the files so GD can't scan them.

i never had malware experience on DS and kvm vps, but sure if it on openvz and shared hosting, i have experience on openvz, that why im not place important data on openvz vps. and im not sharing any files on that anyway, its pure privately use for website backup, its still google scan file for malware?

• @szarka said:

I'm curious if you experience the deletions with a paid GSuite account or is that with the free account. I sometimes share malware samples on Google drive with colleagues and I don't remember running into deletions before.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited July 2018

@AC_Fan said:

@warrior said:
    update: successfully push data, and can hit 300mbps at ovh.

I think they bill colleges, universities, etc. by the bulk, eventually, when you stop being a student, they'll delete your account, so the slot can be used for someone else.

PS: I remember when they forced me to reference my university mail in my thesis otherwise they won't let me graduate - dumbest decision in my life, because i knew the mail is theirs, not mine.

• Sorry sounds weird Google drive offering unlimited storage?

• szarkaszarka Member

@birchbeer said:

@szarka said:

I'm curious if you experience the deletions with a paid GSuite account or is that with the free account. I sometimes share malware samples on Google drive with colleagues and I don't remember running into deletions before.

This was on a paid standard Google Drive account, and the files weren't shared with anyone. Some of them really did contain malware, since they were backups of ancient virus and trojan samples. At least one file probably did not. I haven't tested this rigorously, but I've seen others report the same thing, so I'm loathe to trust GD too much.

• @Rockfiles said:
    Sorry sounds weird Google drive offering unlimited storage?

Yes - with GSuite Business and Enterprise. It's unlimited per user.

https://gsuite.google.com/compare-editions/

• szarkaszarka Member

@birchbeer said:

@Rockfiles said:

Read the fine print: 1 TB per user if fewer than five users. I mean, still potentially useful, but it makes the minimum buy-in $50/month.

• So I guess i'll add my $0.02

I have a backup process for my WordPress site - about 20-30 GB of object storage (wordpress media) gets rcloned to google drive every day - of course, rclone doesn't upload duplicates. on the 2nd of every month, the last months wp-content gets tar'd and rcloned, and this goes on...

On my other server, at 10 am (nominal timing when i dont get much visitors), the site goes down for maintainance and a mysql dump + file backup gets created.

The database is about 2 gb right now and the site itself is 20 gb (file based cache).

All of this is done daily using ansible tower

• birchbeerbirchbeer Member
    edited July 2018

@szarka said:

Read the fine print: 1 TB per user if fewer than five users. I mean, still potentially useful, but it makes the minimum buy-in $50/month.

Yup - the product is targeted at businesses more than 5 users for the unlimited. It's not a bad deal. In an org with more than 5 users, it probably averages out which I'm guessing why Google can offer unlimited.

• szarkaszarka Member

@varunchopra said:

I had the impression that Tower was ridiculously expensive—I mean, priced for "enterprises" ahem… Is there an open source, cheap, and/or SaaS version I don't know about?

• @szarka said:
    I had the impression that Tower was ridiculously expensive—I mean, priced for "enterprises" ahem… Is there an open source, cheap, and/or SaaS version I don't know about?

I've never tried it. But AWX (I.e. Ansible Tower) is open-source - You can find it on Github here - https://github.com/ansible/awx

Thanked by 1szarka
  • @szarka said:

@varunchopra said:

Tower is free for upto 10 nodes, and AWX is it's upstream OSS counterpart. Feel free to work with either.

I prefer tower for the flexibility. I'm not that good with containers so i stay away from awx.

Thanked by 2szarka vimalware
  • szarkaszarka Member

Nice. I will have to have a look at that somewhere down the road. :)

• Adam1Adam1 Member

Can't contribute, but just want to say thanks for this thread as I have now set up rclone on a couple of VPS's to backup to a dormant google account I had, perfect.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@szarka said:

@birchbeer said:

@Rockfiles said:

That hasn't been enforced since the beginning. Even 1 user gets unlimited storage.

Thanked by 2szarka Wolveix
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@birchbeer said:

@szarka said:

Yup - the product is targeted at businesses more than 5 users for the unlimited. It's not a bad deal. In an org with more than 5 users, it probably averages out which I'm guessing why Google can offer unlimited.

The limit isn't enforced.

• szarkaszarka Member

@AC_Fan said:
    That hasn't been enforced since the beginning. Even 1 user gets unlimited storage.

Hmm… I have just the music collection to test that with…

• do we need to have a premium account to do such a thing ?

• NANONANO Member

@AC_Fan said:

>

Wow first time I read that, curious.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@mahdavi said:
    do we need to have a premium account to do such a thing ?

Yes, the GSuite 10$/m plan.

@NANO said:

@AC_Fan said:

>

Wow first time I read that, curious.

Yup, it's been, what, 5 years now?

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited July 2018

@birchbeer said:

@szarka said:

I've never tried it. But AWX (I.e. Ansible Tower) is open-source - You can find it on Github here - https://github.com/ansible/awx

It's reasonably easy to deploy although they re-use a lot of the tower docs which was a bit confusing when needing a custom virtualenv (needs to be built in the task container and it looks like also the web container or the UI doesn't see it) since the docs don't take into account it being inside a container. (Or didn't at least when I last looked)

Thanked by 1szarka