Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud.tc by DET.io Coming Soon (Free credits for Early Adopters) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud.tc by DET.io Coming Soon (Free credits for Early Adopters)

2»

Comments

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I quite like the idea of a cloud panel that enables you to be cloud agnostic. Would the end user be in charge of their relationship with the cloud provider, or would you be a middleman in that agreement?

What I would prefer would be to maintain an individual agreement with each cloud provider, and then use you as an abstraction layer on top of the "cloud of clouds" so that I am in control of billing at each provider.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited July 2018

@hawc said:
    I quite like the idea of a cloud panel that enables you to be cloud agnostic. Would the end user be in charge of their relationship with the cloud provider, or would you be a middleman in that agreement?

What I would prefer would be to maintain an individual agreement with each cloud provider, and then use you as an abstraction layer on top of the "cloud of clouds" so that I am in control of billing at each provider.

The current model we are designing is that we are the middleman of the billing agreement that also takes care of delivering Cloud Computing hardware from providers all around the globe.

I think the best approach to take is allowing users to deploy from the provider of their choice without having to create new accounts directly from the provider -> Where-as if the user wants to pay the provider directly and avoid the Multi-Cloud portal they would be able to navigate to the providers site directly and proceed with the order.

• hostfavhostfav Member, Host Rep

@DETio How are you going to select providers?

Can any providers join with you and sell their service? Or you are the only one will select providers?

Who will be handling tickets? Are you going to provide support SLA?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited July 2018

hostfav said: @DETio How are you going to select providers?

Can any providers join with you and sell their service? Or you are the only one will select providers?

Who will be handling tickets? Are you going to provide support SLA?

Any provider whom sets up a cloud under VirtEngine and expresses interest in joining the Multi-Cloud can join, however we do still have a criteria to ensure quality is met - for example Summer Hosts won't be welcome in the Multi-Cloud but they are free to use the software as they wish.

Who handles the tickets? Tickets are routed directly to the Partner Cloud (the user selects the VM he is inquiring about), however we can still view and respond to tickets created from our platform - we take care of software related inquiries while leaving the rest to the provider. Locations that are managed by us from pure Bare-Metal providers are supported by us.

Our Business/Corporate plans will support SLA, each cluster (a provider can have multiple clusters) is separated into multiple tiers Developer/Business/Corporate - Developer doesn't come with SSD's, Business doesn't come with HA.

• FoulFoul Member

I'm just going to assume this will be another flop like "VirtEngine" in 2016.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/92486/virtengine-cloud-platform-launching-vm-demo#latest

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • DETioDETio Member

@Foul said:
    I'm just going to assume this will be another flop like "VirtEngine" in 2016.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/92486/virtengine-cloud-platform-launching-vm-demo#latest

This time we are delivering, in the past we have ran through issues in the development phase - one of our largest setbacks was our R&D Partner Firm (10 Developers) being acquired in 2017 August - github.com/megamsys - we've had to move forward and build our own development team (6 man strong now) in order to get the final stages of VirtEngine moving to production.

One thing which has helped assist us in development was receiving a grant from JobsForNSW shortly after Megam was acquired, the Grant has been active since February and will end with our MVP Release at the end of October.

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited July 2018

Some of these sound bites seem familiar.

Here's a few tips I learned in a past life.

1.) Your deployment experience is a strong factor in your VM growth rate. So focus on ease of deployment, ease of deployment at scale, and the resiliency of deployment. I really suggest having an API available for deployment.

2.) Don't trust your providers. Build in a tool that constantly monitors if you're able to deploy VMs, and the speed at which VMs are deployed. The backend software doesn't matter, when a provider has run out of space, or there's an SSL error, or any other random error. Regarding speed, from experience, a user is happy if they wait less than 3 minutes. A user is satisfied if they wait less than 5. Longer than 5, and they've already built the machine at Digital Ocean.

3.) You might think having New York, Los Angeles, and London is key. I found the exact opposite. Users with significant demand are happy with their existing supply in those markets. What attracts new users are locations (and features... but you won't win that battle unless you have1 mil in funding) in niche markets. Bring the user in, then try to convert them into an exclusive user.

You have a big challenge ahead of you. I wish you luck.

Thanked by 2DETio pullangcubo
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited July 2018

OnApp_Terry said: 1.) Your deployment experience is a strong factor in your VM growth rate. So focus on ease of deployment, ease of deployment at scale, and the resiliency of deployment. I really suggest having an API available for deployment.

A public API will be available so we can get Cloud.tc integrated with tools like Mist.io, and other infrastructure tools like OpenNebula as well as give developers the freedom to build around our cloud stack.

2.) Don't trust your providers. Build in a tool that constantly monitors if you're able to deploy VMs, and the speed at which VMs are deployed. The backend software doesn't matter, when a provider has run out of space, or there's an SSL error, or any other random error. Regarding speed, from experience, a user is happy if they wait less than 3 minutes. A user is satisfied if they wait less than 5. Longer than 5, and they've already built the machine at Digital Ocean.

ONE's provisioning doesn't respond with an error directly when there is no stock - instead it will queue it to deploy and if no stock is available will return with an error shortly after noting that No Host Capacity was found.

I think building a tool that monitors each cluster for a provider periodically with VM Deployments is a neat idea - Notifying the provider when stock is out or an error is encountered as well as updating the UI automatically to reflect that the region is out of stock.

Thanks for your comment as I really appreciate your suggestions.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited July 2018

I'd like to mention that we would be also displaying resource stats - free memory/storage/cpu compared with total memory/storage for each region. We would use this to monitor each providers resources instead of periodic launches as that could be a heavyweight solution to test if capacity is available.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2018

@Detio is Virtengine complete? What is the ETA for a stable version?

• @leapswitch said:
    @Detio is Virtengine complete? What is the ETA for a stable version?

Never lol

• DETioDETio Member

leapswitch said: @Detio is Virtengine complete? What is the ETA for a stable version?

Hi, our Eta for 1.6 release which is production ready is August - Early September.

• I am too...

• Im in :)

• We will be doing a private beta run using VirtEngine Waldur upcoming in two weeks time, anyone who joins our mailing list and goes through our fraud verification will be able to test the service (with multiple providers/locations).

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2018

hawc said: What I would prefer would be to maintain an individual agreement with each cloud provider, and then use you as an abstraction layer on top of the "cloud of clouds" so that I am in control of billing at each provider.

Hey there,

Both options will be available (adding your own Provider Integration, Including: AWS, DigitalOcean, and Azure - as well as any Public VirtEngine Cloud or Private OpenStack (or other Infrastructure connection which is available in the future) all from the Cloud.tc Portal - Cloud.tc will be a hosted Version of VirtEngine pretty much. Users will be able to connect their existing accounts or maintain a billing agreement with Cloud.tc and deploy from any existing cloud.

• Finally, anyone interested in learning more about the VirtEngine Waldur platform can check Waldur.com: VirtEngine Waldur for Hosting Providers