Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel announces E3 successor cpus
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel announces E3 successor cpus

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12199/intel-launches-coffee-lake-xeon-e-entry

"Xeon E" (for "Entry") instead of E3. They have 4 and 6 core versions and require a new chipset. No idea what to make of this.

Thanked by 1leapswitch

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Upto 64GB Ram... urgh..

• PandyPandy Member

low end E3

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2018

yeah mixed feelings Xeon E3-2176G vs Xeon W-2135 - difference is price, AVX-512 support and 64GB vs 512GB max memory and dual vs quad memory channels

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Top comment on that article gets my vote.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

precisely the point, and who guarantees that the new CPU that fixes spectre/meltdown will not require yet another change of the chipset..?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2018

True, wish AMD would release EPYC 7271P, 7371P, 7471P, 7571P with just a 0.4Ghz bump for Turbo boosted speeds over their 7x51P counterparts - would just be perfect heh

edited July 2018

And now even Intel has a server motherboard that fits this chip, this launch was handled extremely badly. To me, it looks like this is aimed at 'very high end' workstations only not at servers at all, at least at this stage...

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

The point where my decision against intel was sealed was where the PCIe lanes problem came up. I call that lying and bullsh*tting their customers.

Plus the 14 nm ++ or +++ process. Oh well. Why not waiting for +++++++?

All I see is a company that f*cked up big time and needs lanes magic (and not even rich at that) and that still stutters around a 14nm process - and that bet you has NOT solved the Spectre/Meltdown problem.

Acidlake. That's what they really are offering.

Yeah, this launch is disappointing.

Can’t wait for AMD competitor to the E3.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2018

Most servers will be the 2124/2134/2136 since most servers do not use the integrated graphics chips.

E-2124 is the E3-1220 replacement

E-2134 is the E3-1230 replacement

E-2136 adds two cores, but lower frequency, so I guess maybe E3-1270 replacement

Seems like a significant simplification of the line... I did think that all of the models (1220/1230/1240/1270/1280) were excessive, but I'm not sure this is exactly the answer. It also will likely result in lower revenue for Intel, as the most expensive chip is a lot cheaper than the prior most expensive chip.

I was told by one of my vendors that we won't see the server-targeted SKUs until Q4, which also seems a bit odd.

@qps said:
    Most servers will be the 2124/2134/2136 since most servers do not use the integrated graphics chips.

E-2124 is the E3-1220 replacement
    E-2134 is the E3-1230 replacement
    E-2136 adds two cores, but lower frequency, so I guess maybe E3-1270 replacement

Seems like a significant simplification of the line... I did think that all of the models (1220/1230/1240/1270/1280) were excessive, but I'm not sure this is exactly the answer. It also will likely result in lower revenue for Intel, as the most expensive chip is a lot cheaper than the prior most expensive chip.

I was told by one of my vendors that we won't see the server-targeted SKUs until Q4, which also seems a bit odd.

Same heard here. It looks like they don’t want to cannibalise their own Scalable line hence nothing is forthcoming.

Even Intel doesn’t have a server board or a system available for today.

It’s a very odd launch. Almost like they don’t want to sell it - or, like they are aiming this at high end workstations predominantly.

• AMD will have chewed up and spat out these plodders come 2020

Fingers crossed !

Thanked by 1Zen
    edited July 2018

Careful there! As much as I wish AMD good luck I see two considerable risk factors:

• AMD still is poor compared to intel and is by many considered an underdog. And I think AMD is lucky in that intel has lots of problems right now and can't focus on killing off AMD by throwing money at the problem.
    • AMD "sold out" by making a deal with the Chinese who now can perfectly legally use and produce x86 (Zen). Well noted, I'm not in any way against the Chinese but in the current climate that step might turn very badly against AMD.

Finally let's be realistic. intel isn't behaving the way it does because it's in their genes but because they pretty much owned the market for many years. So if, just assuming, AMD managed to take intels place or even just to become "the other behemoth" they'd probably not be the nice guys any longer. That's just how things work.

So let's enjoy AMD's fine products at nice prices as long as it lasts and let's hope for the best - which probably is AMD getting big enough to be a real competitor for intel. That would be the best situation for us customers I think.

(P.S. Yay! I just found out by accident how to make those cool bullet points).

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@Zen

I didn't mean to hit on AMD, absolutely not. But your remarks are irrelevant in the context I was talking about because my fear is about a PR massacre against AMD and not legal concerns.

I'm simply fearing that intel might turn the deal with the Chinese against AMD in a PR attack. With the sanctions and all the "evil China!" political bashings coming from the White House the context would be "ideal" for such a PR attack on AMD.

BTW, for us customers that AMD deal is probably great because it seems reasonable to assume that the Chinese will sooner or later sell their x86 processors and almost certainly cheaper than what we have now.

Thanked by 1Zen

@Zen

No problem, misunderstandings happen and my not at all perfect english probably makes it easy to misunderstand me.

As for AMD - Hint: This is written on a Ryzen and my next notebook will be Ryzen based too. ;)

Thanked by 1Zen
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Clouvider said: precisely the point, and who guarantees that the new CPU that fixes spectre/meltdown will not require yet another change of the chipset..?

It's Intel, it will.

Francisco

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2018

Someone, unglue Intel's butt on its chair.