Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN and SmartDNS on same VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN and SmartDNS on same VPS?

FistoFisto Member

I would like to install a VPN and SmartDNS on the same VPS.

I installed Outline VPN first, but then when I installed a SmartDNS neither worked. Any solutions?

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran

There's a saying: don't put all your eggs in one basket.

This is LET. You can buy 2 VPS for cheap if you need. Feel free to ask for offers according to user's needs and application requirements. Besides it's much more efficient to actually use servers, then let them stay unsold or in idle.

• zkyezzkyez Member

@default said:

This is LET. You can buy 2 VPS for cheap if you need. Feel free to ask for offers according to user's needs and application requirements. Besides it's much more efficient to actually use servers, then let them stay unsold or in idle.

This is text book example of a post that only inflates the post count without addressing anything in OP.

@Fisto you can run a smart dns and a vpn on the same box since they're different services. I did it with openvpn and the netflix docker sniproxy.

• @zkyez said:

@default said:

This is text book example of a post that only inflates the post count without addressing anything in OP.

Yeah right.

Thanked by 1default
  • teamaccteamacc Member
    edited July 2018

@simonindia said:

@zkyez said:

@default said:

Yeah right.

User joined last month though. So he might be talking about his own comment.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@zkyez said:

@default said:

@Fisto you can run a smart dns and a vpn on the same box since they're different services. I did it with openvpn and the netflix docker sniproxy.

I tried to advice the person to keep things separated, just like you suggested docker containers, but at a different level with servers, especially since requirements are really low in performance aspects (RAM, CPU, disk), and I think OP already knows what he/she is doing.

The VPN requires high bandwidth because of the traffic, but this depends on how many users will be using it and how will be using it (I am guessing 1 user because VPS was stated, not some production dedi or high VPS, but I am just guessing). The DNS however does not require high bandwidth, but needs port 53, so NAT is out of the question.

As such, if the OP would request an offer (or check for current cheap offers) he/she would find a NAT VPS starting at $2/year good for VPN, and some cheap low OpenVZ VPS for DNS.

Regarding OpenVPN I recommend Nyr script or Angristan script for ver easy install.

A NAT VPS can also be used with IPv6 for DNS, but I can not recommend it with specified OpenVPN integrations (IPv4?), plus we do not know if his/her provider has IPv6 connectivity in the first place.

Regarding DNS, make sure it's not configured as open resolver but restricted to required users, because of amplification attacks and IP blacklists. In my opinion it's not good to have VPN and DNS with port 53 open (resolver?) on the same machine, because I personally do not wish to trigger human verification forms all over the place.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • zkyezzkyez Member

If the user isn't tech savvy he/she can take a look @ https://github.com/ab77/netflix-proxy which is fairly easy to deploy.

• onplusonplus Member
    edited July 2018

Outline is not VPN.

The Outline Server runs in a Docker container in the host machine.

A proxy server that runs a Shadowsocks instance

https://github.com/Jigsaw-Code/outline-server

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited July 2018

Outline proxy use opendns by default. You need to use iptables nat to redirect all port 53 traffic to localhost/whatever your dns IP address

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to <dns_ip>:53
    iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to <dns_ip>:53
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

• Are you doing VPN?