Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner auctions vs Netcup Root-Server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner auctions vs Netcup Root-Server

2»

Comments

• GulfGulf Member

@zkyez said:

Have never seen this issue with ovh.

OVH DE1 is a bit faster in most locations

• @Gulf said:
    OVH DE1 is a bit faster in most locations

Considering that OVH actually has a presence in the APAC region, those figures for Singapore, etc is weird/suboptimal...

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@pullangcubo said:
    Considering that OVH actually has a presence in the APAC region, those figures for Singapore, etc is weird/suboptimal...

Just because you're in a location, doesn't mean connectivity to all ISPs in the region will be good - some ISPs don't wanna be on an IX and will run solely on the cheapest possible connectivity ever.

Might be the connectivity of the singapore server above is just weird/suboptimal as well ;)

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@neik said:
    IIRC the bandwith is way more restricted over at Hetzner than Netcup (30 vs. 80TB). I would assume if someone really needs a dedicated 1Gbps port you push way more than 30TB a month.

Netcup says they will limit to 10Mbps if usage is more than 80TB per month and sustained usage is more than 80mbps. However, 80mbps gives 25TB monthly usage. So, what gives?

• neikneik Member

Thanks for all this feedback!

@AC_Fan said:

@neik said:
    IIRC the bandwith is way more restricted over at Hetzner than Netcup (30 vs. 80TB). I would assume if someone really needs a dedicated 1Gbps port you push way more than 30TB a month.

Netcup says they will limit to 10Mbps if usage is more than 80TB per month and sustained usage is more than 80mbps. However, 80mbps gives 25TB monthly usage. So, what gives?

AFAIK and that's what they tell you over at their forum you are only limited after using the 80TB and then average at more than 80mbps, before that you have 200mbps guaranteed and can burst to 1gbps depending on the load on the server.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • neikneik Member

Sorry for bringing this up again but I am wondering if there is someone with a Hetzner auction server who is willing to run Geekbench?

Quite curious what the result would be...

• here you go: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/9398101

as can be seen this is from a E3-1246v3 /w 32G (~22€) - the i7-3770 should be quite comparable to that, you can also easily search through geekbench for the CPU you're hunting. as it's gonna be dedicated to you, the numbers on geekbench for full CPUs shouldn't differ much regardless of the provider or mainboard and stuff.

• neikneik Member
    edited August 2018

Didn't know there is search function in Geekbench. Thanks, Falzo!

The more I dig into the Netcup RS the more interesting they get, if my budget would be that high I don't think I would go with an auction server.

The only downside I can see is the lower single-core perf (3,2k vs. 4,7k). Multi-corewise a RS4000 should be way faster than this 15,6k. My RS1000 scores around 5,5k multiplied by 5 should be the performance of the RS4000 - should end up >= 20k.

Not bad at all!

• @neik said:
    Didn't know there is search function in Geekbench. Thanks, Falzo!

The more I dig into the Netcup RS the more interesting they get, if my budget would be that high I don't think I would go with an auction server.

The only downside I can see is the lower single-core perf (3,2k vs. 4,7k). Multi-corewise a RS4000 should be way faster than this 15,6k. My RS1000 scores around 5,5k multiplied by 5 should be the performance of the RS4000 - should end up >= 20k.

Not bad at all!

yeah still... if it really is cpu power you need (in most use-cases like hosting, it is not) keep in mind that with a dedicated you can max out _ exactly this_ performance 24/7

on netcup you can also take whatever you get out of it, still I wouldn't trust the geekbench numbers to be consistent. 10 dedicated threads in best case might appear like the power of 10 real cores if there is not much usage on the node at all. still it might decrease down to the equivalent of 5 cores once there is competition for the ressources...

don't fall for that linearity like 10 cores have to give 5x the result of 2 cores, usually you end up having overhead and stuff. though I agree to expect 20k on a RS4000 in that benchmark does sound not so far off.

also netcup doesn't allow you to virtualize with KVM unless you pay a bigger upsale for getting VMX activated - on a dedicated you don't even have to think about that.

TL;DR; the decision most likely depends on each once use case, simple as that. both products seem to deliver good value for the money.

Thanked by 1vimalware