Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding hetzner recurring payment or adding credit to account
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Regarding hetzner recurring payment or adding credit to account

I didn't quite understand some of the threads I read on here about hetzners charging people infinitely and calling the bailiffs to get them even when they long since cancelled the server. Something about german law?

Till now I had just been paying by paypal month by month but that is getting a nuisance since I am very happy with the service and would like it to continue.

Since I read the above stuff about bailiffs I was hesitant to give debit info for automatic payments. I would have prefered to give paypal subscription but they don't give that option.

I was thinking of doing periodic payments of adding credit so then I would only have to do it periodically but I don't see that option.

Just getting thoughts or clarification on above points.

You guys use direct debit with no issues and no bailiffs after completion :)? and/or how to add credit cos I couldn't find it. It only shows the balance as 0 but didn't see how to add it.

Comments

• mkshmksh Member

@lowendguy7 said:
    I didn't quite understand some of the threads I read on here about hetzners charging people infinitely and calling the bailiffs to get them even when they long since cancelled the server. Something about german law?

Are you sure you aren't mixing up Hetzner and Netcup here? Besides it's not really something about german law. It's just the way Netcups contracts are setup. You have to cancel them 1 month in advance. Admittedly such conditions are a bit more common in germany but it's nothing demand by law and Hetzner has let me cancel servers as little as 1 day before due date.

I was thinking of doing periodic payments of adding credit so then I would only have to do it periodically but I don't see that option.

Afaik prepayment is possible at hetzner but i have no experience with that.

You guys use direct debit with no issues and no bailiffs after completion :)?

Yeah, Hetzner is actually one of the rare companies where i am comfortable with doing so. ~10 years and counting - zero problems.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

lowendguy7 said: Since I read the above stuff about bailiffs I was hesitant to give debit info for automatic payments. I would have prefered to give paypal subscription but they don't give that option.

If they can't take the money they will send bailiffs, so what you're doing is counter-productive.

You need to give them an appropiate notice, in accordance with the contract, on time, and settle all your bills before you call it a day with them - as with any other provider. Simple as that.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • mkshmksh Member
    edited July 2018

@Clouvider said:

lowendguy7 said: Since I read the above stuff about bailiffs I was hesitant to give debit info for automatic payments. I would have prefered to give paypal subscription but they don't give that option.

If they can't take the money they will send bailiffs, so what you're doing is counter-productive.

You need to give them an appropiate notice, in accordance with the contract, on time, and settle all your bills before you call it a day with them - as with any other provider. Simple as that.

Yeah, people running into problems with Netcup usually just don't realize that a 1 month notice is needed. I am not a customer of theirs but it's been posted times and times again that canceling with them is as easy as clicking a button as long as it's done on time.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • FalzoFalzo Member

they don't sent bailiffs and stuff for no reason. but of course they expect you to fulfill the contract and terms you agreed upon - which state clearly that you need to cancel the services upfront if don't want them anymore... it's just a click in their control panel.

it's really simple. your server does not automatically cancel only because you stop paying and it doesn't matter which payment method you already use or switch to ;-)

the only people complaining or telling stories about are those who were lazy enough to not read the terms and unwilling to spent a few mins to cancel properly the moment they decided to not want the service anymore.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited July 2018

I see.

It isn't 'counterproductive' as guy above said, I know what you mean though.

If there were any risk of issues I would want a company to have as little personal info on me as possible but as I see it is negligence on the customer's side you people are saying rather than any kind of surruptitious clause on hetzner's part.

And yes it is hetzner not netcup, never even heard of the latter.

Ok then if it is just in those other cases they were too lazy to cancel in the control panel and check it was ceased that is fine.

It was just that I was concerned if it was somehow you would get roped into paying for something you no longer used due to some 'clause'.

I did have 2 servers and now gone down to 1 by cancelling in cp with no issue. So the process would just be the same for going from 1 to 0 when I am done with them I presume.

It was just I read the terms a couple months ago and read that 'all contracts are infinite and billed infinitely', or words to that effect, which initially rang alarm bells :P.

Just hypothetically doesn't direct debit give a company carte blanche to charge what they like. I am not saying that hetzner are disreputable but you are giving a company the keys to the account aren't you or they can only charge you x amount as per the stated agreement and not clear your account. It is just I have felt direct debit produces more exposure than paypal details should there be any issues.

I am quite comfortable hetzner are reputable since they are a long standing company I am just saying on I prefer give as little info as needed to online companies. I still prefer not do a direct debit but since there seems no other choice with hetzner and they also happen to provide good service and are reputable then I guess I will acquiesce.

Or give a transfer in chunks for a few months at a time.

I am not doing anything though where bitcoin payments are a must so it is more a peace of mind thing.

Also there is the data storage issue to keep in mind. Even though companies with the best intentions doesn't mean hackers can't steal their data. The more servers your card details are laying on the more 'attack surface' there is for hackers there is.

Don't understand why they offer paypal but not subscription option but doesn't matter what the reason is. If they don't they don't and they don't.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • mkshmksh Member

@lowendguy7 said:
    Just hypothetically doesn't direct debit give a company carte blanche to charge what they like. I am not saying that hetzner are disreputable but you are giving a company the keys to the account aren't you or they can only charge you x amount as per the stated agreement and not clear your account. It is just I have felt direct debit produces more exposure than paypal details should there be any issues.

Direct debit charges are easy to reverse in case in case of unwarranted charges at least for a couple of weeks. Just call your bank and they'll get your money back. Of course if there is nothing to get back it might be a bit more complicated but i don't think you'll have to fear that in this case. Also your bank is way more likely to have a brain and side with you than paypal.

Don't understand why they offer paypal but not subscription option but doesn't matter what the reason is. If they don't they don't and they don't.

IIRC some time ago they didn't offer paypal at all and i have a feeling they avoid subscriptions because those tend to cause a mess with people forgetting to cancel them and then need to get refunded. Offering paypal is already a loss to them compared to direct debit. Guess they don't want to pay for extra support staff to deal with the refunds on top of that.

• Ok, thanks for clearing things up. I will go with DD then next month probably now those issues have been demystified.

@mksh said:

@lowendguy7 said:

Direct debit charges are easy to reverse in case in case of unwarranted charges at least for a couple of weeks. Just call your bank and they'll get your money back. Of course if there is nothing to get back it might be a bit more complicated but i don't think you'll have to fear that in this case. Also your bank is way more likely to have a brain and side with you than paypal.

IIRC some time ago they didn't offer paypal at all and i have a feeling they avoid subscriptions because those tend to cause a mess with people forgetting to cancel them and then need to get refunded. Offering paypal is already a loss to them compared to direct debit. Guess they don't want to pay for extra support staff to deal with the refunds on top of that.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host
    edited July 2018

I have not personally done any statistical research on the issue, but I think most customers who stuggled with cancellations/payments didn't realize that we have a policy of "30 days to the end of the month." Since this expression is admittedly a bit difficult to understand, there is a place on the cancellation section of our user interface where you can see the earliest effective date of cancellation. If you're ever unsure about when/how to cancel, just write us a support ticket via konsoleH/Robot/Cloud Console, and our team will help you.

Many of our customers prepay. I believe that you can do this using bank/wire transfer, credit card, or PayPal. Our accounting team then adds this amount to your account, and when you get your invoice, the amount is deducted from your balance. If you decide later to cancel your account, we will transfer any money remaining on your bank account. This method is very popular now with our cloud customers who have small monthly invoices. --Katie, Marketing