Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ColoCrossing Buffalo, air conditioning broken?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ColoCrossing Buffalo, air conditioning broken?

In Colocrossing Buffalo NY, my server is throttling hard. Checked IPMI and it is at 39 degrees celsius and still rising :S

There must be something wrong with the cooling systems, this is ridiculously hot. Meltdowns over there, I am sure of it.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Not 100%. The sensor is inside the chassis that's not the actual inlet temperature as measured outside the server, and running stuff hot is apparently green these days if the kit can cope, so if it's ~28 celcius or something, and the kit is designed to operate at this temp, you should thanks them for saving the planet for you =).

Other than that - ask the support I guess? Why did you run to the forums first?

Thanked by 1techhelper1
  • RayhanRayhan Member
    edited July 2018

40 degree celsius is just okay. ☺

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • verpexverpex Member

Just seen a post on WHT regarding another provider which has been affected cause of this, it seems a power unit has failed which may have affected the units and the DC is running at high temps as per the post.

• rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

Yes, I can agree with @verpex I seen a post on WHT that ColoCrossing is having AC problems in Buffalo.

• makazemakaze Member

I can only imagine down here with 100 degree days trying to keep things cool. Looks like buffalo wasn’t that hot today tho.

• I keep a close eye on my server and I haven't seen its chassis sensor ever exceed 27 degrees celsius, so something is definitely out of the usual today. I did ask the support and received confirmation that one of the air conditioning units did actually fail. Not sure how much longer this is going to go on, anyone else have anything to share?

• verpexverpex Member

@dennishayles said:
    I keep a close eye on my server and I haven't seen its chassis sensor ever exceed 27 degrees celsius, so something is definitely out of the usual today. I did ask the support and received confirmation that one of the air conditioning units did actually fail. Not sure how much longer this is going to go on, anyone else have anything to share?

Depends really, if they have spare parts on site or need ordering then installing.. it can take sometime i guess. Hopefully things go smooth and everything works out well in the long run.

Best of luck Dennis.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Rayhan said:

That's not cool, man.

Francisco

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

Can confirm DC is having issues. Entire rack of ours has just went offline due to overheating.
    They seem to have had their AC units fail at the DC today.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    Entire rack of ours has just went offline due to overheating.

Yikes. That has to be pretty bad.

• Just updating here, I have not had any uptime whatsoever (no longer just choked CPUs) since around 3:10 PM Denver time. It's 6:47 PM now and I'm still with only a single server out of six online, which can't do anything on its own. :( I really hope ColoCrossing puts out a statement on this.

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    Can confirm DC is having issues. Entire rack of ours has just went offline due to overheating.

This would certainly affect a number of other racks in the neighbourhood, i don’t see many reports of outages though ?

• williewillie Member

Both of my Virmach VPS at that location seem to be working fine, with no reported downtime.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2018

@Clouvider said:

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:

This would certainly affect a number of other racks in the neighbourhood, i don’t see many reports of outages though ?

Could just be a specific floor/suite.

It's also likely they got it under control soon after. Being the holidays must've made it a pain though.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:

The A.C unit failed in the DC, during the processes of them fixing it they managed to knock off an entire row of racks which included one of ours. They failed to keep us updated on what exactly happened and we simply are finding this information out from other providers who had the same issue. They did get it resolved the same day, though still upsetting this happened to begin with.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

LET goes offline in 5..4..3..2..1

Quite legitimately: THE END IS NIGH

• DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

@Jack said:
    I wonder if they'll provide anymore depth on how a row of racks was taken offline due to AC issue.

Was it heat related that they lost the row or power?

Do they not A+B Power equipment?

We had issues in all of our cabinets located in all different sections of the DC. I think that the heat caused lots of issues with the PDUs. We had a ton of servers powering down due to overheating as well.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@Rayhan said:

That's not cool, man.

Francisco

I had a C7000 chassi and MSA SAN shut down when it reached 72 degrees celsius.

Also because of AC troubles. A ”handy man” employed by the customer created a nice solution that caused the AC to stop and then shit hit the fan.

This actually happened 3-4 times before the ”handy man” got his thumb out and fixed the issue for good.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

Any RFO for this available ?

• buy or not ??

• @pimmelberger said:
    buy or not ??

not

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

Any RFO for this available ?

Seems like their AC went from N+0 to N-1.