Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS with its own reserved CPU share ($5 per mth)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS with its own reserved CPU share ($5 per mth)?

edited July 2018 in Requests

I wanna be able to run a Bitcoin miner, a Minecraft server, media transcode tasks or anything else I want that is actually legal (I won't be doing anything adult-related)...

Not really, though...

I mean, in truth, I don't actually wanna run any of those things at all... and I need a hell of a lot less processing power than those things would entail. But I would like it as cheap as I can. so no dedi...

What I really don't need is a VPS where I get emails from the provider complaining about my resource hogging. I don't wanna be a hog... So I'd like a deal where the above things wouldn't even be an issue because I would have my own allocated and capped CPU share, so ultimately nobody would care. I had assumed VPS would generally work this way and you get your own CPU allocation like memory and disk... but evidently not.

So I have two questions regarding this (I'm hoping you guys can help):

1. What is the name of the technology or setup I should look for that enables VPS on a shared server configuration, but with resource isolation, particularly for the CPU, that I should look for? Can this be done only with KVM or OVZ or something else?
  2. Offers? Point me somewhere that does this? I'm trying to keep the price at around $5 per month.

Here are my requirements:

• CPU (1 core is fine, or even part of a core, but it should be isolated or capped or whatever, see above)
  • 256 MB memory (or greater)
  • Bandwidth, any
  • Data usage, 50 GB (or less but not so little that it's nothing)
  • Disk space, 5GB
  • OS, Debian (or Ubuntu)
  • Good uptime

Budget:
$5 per month or less for annual, but I am also willing to wiggle on this and go higher.. so long as the isolation I mentioned is a given. I honestly don't know if what I am looking for at this price is reasonable or not.

So please gimme whatever you got... I am tired of moving away from VPS providers so I don't upset them and other users with my long-running scripts.

Comments

• nielsniels Member
    edited July 2018

It can be any virtualization technology. Some providers try to differentiate between VDS (with dedicated resources) and VPS (with shared resources), but really what you should look for is providers that set and enforce clear limits (you'll usually find them in the TOS / AUP); this way you know what you're getting into.

That said, here are some suggestions, I can recommend them all. Note that the relative share of the core does not say everything, as the processor/performance may vary between them. The only way to know for sure is trying.

HostHatch ($5/m, 50% core), BuyVM ($3.50/m, 25% core), IonSwitch ($22.50/y, 12.5% core)

I also saw SkylonHost with a €5/m, 50% core offer in the Independance Day megathread today, but I have no experience with them.

Thanked by 1unverified_contact
  • UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider

Hi @unverified_contact,

we can provide the following:

UltraKVM-15

• KVM virtualization
    • 512 MB RAM
    • 1 CPU Core
    • 15 GB RAID-10 Storage
    • 1 TB Monthly Transfer
    • 1 IPv4 address
    • 10 IPv6 addresses (from your own /64 IPv6 subnet)
    • Contract term: 6 months
    • Available in Amsterdam (Netherlands), Duesseldorf (Germany), Dallas (USA), London (UK), Los Angeles (USA)

2 EUR per month incl. 19% VAT (1.68 EUR/1.86 USD excl. VAT)

The CPU is shared, but we allow bursts to the full CPU core performance any time.

[ ORDER ]

Looking glasses

Do you have any questions? Please do not hesitate to drop us a mail at [email protected].

• UltraVPS said: The CPU is shared, but we allow bursts to the full CPU core performance any time

I don't he want limited burst period but 24x7 access to 100% CPU.

I think this is what wishosting's 100% CPU means

https://www.wishosting.com/order/main/packages/VPS/?group_id=2

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

You're basically asking for what BuyVM (buyvm.net) calls a "slice" but you won't get a full core for $5/m. They have a $3.50/m 1GB plan that comes with basically 1/8th of a reserved core (1/4th of a thread). I have one and it's great. @Francisco

An alternative you might consider is the Scaleway C1 dedicated server, which is a 4-core ARM server comparable to a raspberry pi 2, for 3 euro/month. It's a true (though slow) dedicated server that you can run at 100% on all 4 cores 24/7 without anyone noticing or running their own stuff on it. Each ARM core is comparable to maybe 1/8th of a typical x86 core, so you get the equivalent of around 1/2 an x86 core total, if your workload parallelizes. I have one of these too and it works nicely (the ARM-ness doesn't change things much) though I don't use it as a compute box per se (it's too slow for that).

What is your application if you don't mind my asking? There might be other good alternatives too.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Netcup offers 2 dedicated cores though it's 6,99
    https://www.netcup.de/vserver/

• UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider

jetchirag said: 24x7 access to 100% CPU.

That's what I meant by "full CPU core performance any time".

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • @UltraVPS said:

jetchirag said: 24x7 access to 100% CPU.

That's what I meant by "full CPU core performance any time".

Sorry, I thought you meant periodic peak usage :)

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

Silvest said: Netcup offers 2 dedicated cores though it's 6,99 https://www.netcup.de/vserver/

Since OP mentioned mining, per https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/agb.php :

5 ... The following activities are expressly prohibited: ... Operation of mining-services such as "Bitcoin", "Ethereum", "OneCoin" or "Monero".

Other forms of high cpu usage on those servers is apparently fine, though.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

SkylonHost can offer the following:

• 2GB RAM
    • 1 core (50% guaranteed/dedicated, burst up to 100% when node has enough resources available)
    • 12GB SSD
    • 2TB bandwidth, 1x IPv4 + /80 IPv6, DDOS protected
    • Located in France

Benchmark

Feel free to mine, game, crunch numbers or do any other CPU intensive tasks on our servers all the time.

With promo code "Independence", the price is 5e/month and the bandwidth is tripled (so 6TB).

Order link: https://clients.skylonhost.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

1 core (50% guaranteed/dedicated, burst up to 100% when node has enough resources available)

According to the serverscope link it's an E3-1245v2. Nice! Despite its age that server has quite fast single core performance because of its high frequency, as compared with bigger E5 servers that have more but slower cores. 1/16th of the box (cpu and ram) for $5 (CORRECTION: €5, not 5 USD) a month is not bad at all. The SSD allocation is on the small side by today's standards, but still fine for many things.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@willie said:

1 core (50% guaranteed/dedicated, burst up to 100% when node has enough resources available)

According to the serverscope link it's an E3-1245v2. Nice! Despite its age that server has quite fast single core performance because of its high frequency, as compared with bigger E5 servers that have more but slower cores. 1/16th of the box (cpu and ram) for $5 a month is not bad at all. The SSD allocation is on the small side by today's standards, but still fine for many things.

We specifically tune our packages for great single thread performance (which is what matters for stuff like game servers).
    It's actually 5 eur a month though, not 5 USD

• williewillie Member

Oops thanks, I made a correction in my post. I hope you can offer comparable plans in the US sometime.