Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated or VPS with at least 1 TB of storage.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated or VPS with at least 1 TB of storage.

edited July 2018 in Requests

In the US, hopefully for under $20 a month, monthly payments. Sorry, my original post was so short.

Edit: Added below.
I'm switching over from Google Drive which always seemed a bit slow to 3 storage servers, one at my office. My office's internet is currently limited to 150 Mb DL and 12 Mb upload.

What worries me about cheap VPS are that they might lose/delete my data at some point, so I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for more reliability.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

HostHatch has $20 1TB storage VPS in the U.S.
    https://hosthatch.com/storage-vps

Cheapest I see.

Thanked by 1BusinessmanBen
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

Nocix has some 2TB options if you're willing to stretch your budget to $25. Make sure to read reviews first though, it does not have a universally good reputation. I don't know whether they charge for eg. a KVM-over-IP.

Dacentec has a 2x2TB option (Opteron) for $25 as well. They provide free loaner KVM-over-IPs, within reason.

(EDIT: Or at least, that's the policy I recall from Dacentec. I don't know if it's changed.)

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

$20/m for a US dedi is scraping bottom but for a VPS with 1tb of storage it's very doable.

I have a HostHatch 1.5TB plan on promo and it's good value for the very low price I'm paying, but its network performance is unimpressive enough that I couldn't consider it ok at $20/month (at the discount I decided it's an ok trade-off since my use case is cold archives).

I'd give this a try: https://virmach.com/cloud-storage-servers/

$7 for 1 "TB" but note that their TB is 1e12 bytes rather than some other possibilities. 1e12 bytes is 931 GiB. It's not a scam but most other "TB" plans I see are 1000 GiB or sometimes 1 TiB (1024 GiB). Still a healthy amount of storage but when comparing you probably should take this into account.

• I'm testing the $7 1TB (1 cpu, 1g, 1gps) VPS with Virmach and a $10 1TB (1 core, 1.6g, 4gps) VPS with SpeedyKVM right now. SpeedyKVM seems to transfer data a little bit faster but I'm still tweaking my benchmark.

I'm checking out the other option now.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@BusinessmanBen said:
    SpeedyKVM seems to transfer data a little bit faster but I'm still tweaking my benchmark.

They are known for their very good network.

• @joepie91 said:

>

Dacentec

(EDIT: Or at least, that's the policy I recall from Dacentec. I don't know if it's changed.)

Can confirm. They provide 24 hours KVM over IP per request (longer if you provide a good reason), and they are pretty friendly.

• Dacentec has a 2x2TB option (Opteron) for $25 as well. They provide free loaner KVM-over-IPs, within reason.

I just signed up for a $25 Opteron system with them to check it out. It's currently pending.

• zevuszevus Member

@BusinessmanBen said:

Dacentec has a 2x2TB option (Opteron) for $25 as well. They provide free loaner KVM-over-IPs, within reason.

I just signed up for a $25 Opteron system with them to check it out. It's currently pending.

dacentec is good. i just wish they'd make a working ubuntu software RAID install, esp since it seeems all these systems of theirs have multiple hdd.

they also leave HDD's in IDE mode instead of ahci. so you will want to use this kvm

• You just won't get the reliability that you get with Google Drive! Try S3 or similar, such as Wasabi!

• @zevus said:

@BusinessmanBen said:

dacentec is good. i just wish they'd make a working ubuntu software RAID install, esp since it seeems all these systems of theirs have multiple hdd.

they also leave HDD's in IDE mode instead of ahci. so you will want to use this kvm

I'm upgrading my system to Ubuntu 16 since they only had the option of Ubuntu 14 when I started the lease. The only raid option I saw was raid 0 which I wouldn't use on those older drives. I guess they put it there since you'd have to configure the OS drive as raid 0 before installing the OS but raid 1 can be added in later.

So far, the transfer rates have been about what I would expect from these hdd. What advantage does AHCI offer?

• You can always "install your own OS" if you want anything beyond stock options.

• @msg7086 said:
    You can always "install your own OS" if you want anything beyond stock options.

I'm considering installing an OS that will let me run multiple VS on it. I'm also trying to convince myself I need it over a simple VPS.

• My setup was to put Debian 9 on it, and then proxmox 5.2 on top of that, and multiple VMs inside that, to backup multiple websites that I'm managing, one for each.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2018

Dacentec has stock btw: https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart&action=add&id=335&cat_id=3

In case it gets out of stock, just use the notifications on metaDedi.

5$ per TB in US, seems to be the cheapest yet.