Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Competitors - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Competitors

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@willie said:
    I haven't tried Netcup. The main thing I've heard about them is that their stuff works well but actually shutting off a server so you stop getting charged for it requires jumping through hoops.

Just to clarify: no hoops. You can cancel with a click in the billing panel. You just have to cancel at least one month in advance, which isn't so hard if you pay attention.

Thanked by 1Falzo

@willie said:
    https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/

Wow that is pretty impressive, though billing is monthly, unlike the vps line (https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php) which have hourly billing but cost a bit more and don't have dedicated cores (something I'm a little bit skeptical of anyway).

If monthly billing is ok and you want HDD storage, it's hard to beat Hetzner auction dedis but the Netcup rootservers do look nice.

I have one, they are nice. :-)

• bjobjo Member

Let's thow https://www.hosting.de/cloud-servers/ into the pool. I moved there after my Netcup Box with 320 GB "SAS" had bad IO for weeks (25MB/s).

• williewillie Member

torrbox said:

I found that it's best to just get a new server when something breaks and let the broken one expire,

That's an interesting approach. I have a Hetzner auction server that I suspect has flaky memory and was going to figure out how to run memtest86 on it, but might just get another one.

• That's an interesting approach. I have a Hetzner auction server that I suspect has flaky memory and was going to figure out how to run memtest86 on it, but might just get another one.

With a 14-day return policy, I suppose you could rotate them every 12 days? LOL. I ordered 10 hetzner servers and only 1 did not boot correctly (took over 30 minutes). Once it booted, it has been stable... But the ones I've rented so far as performing well.

• seanhoseanho Member

If you abuse Hetzner's 14-day return policy, they will most certainly ban you for life....

• LeviLevi Member

bjo said: I moved there after my Netcup Box with 320 GB "SAS" had bad IO for weeks (25MB/s).

hosting.de has IOPS limit set to 900 MAX. Are you saying that they are better than Netcup on this matter?

• zevuszevus Member
    edited July 2018

@HowLowCanYouGo said:

That's an interesting approach. I have a Hetzner auction server that I suspect has flaky memory and was going to figure out how to run memtest86 on it, but might just get another one.

With a 14-day return policy, I suppose you could rotate them every 12 days? LOL. I ordered 10 hetzner servers and only 1 did not boot correctly (took over 30 minutes). Once it booted, it has been stable... But the ones I've rented so far as performing well.

I asked them once about this as I had gotten two servers I wasn't too pleased with and (was planning on) cancelling the two in a row. Was worried that cancelling this second during the 14-day period might cause issues, so asked before doing it. I guess having some 50-50 ratio seems sufficient, laugh (or at least 50-50 w/ retaining some of these servers for 6+ months) ..

• zevuszevus Member

@willie said:

Wow that is pretty impressive, though billing is monthly, unlike the vps line (https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php) which have hourly billing but cost a bit more and don't have dedicated cores (something I'm a little bit skeptical of anyway).

If monthly billing is ok and you want HDD storage, it's hard to beat Hetzner auction dedis but the Netcup rootservers do look nice.

I guess most in here may already be aware, but for those that aren't .... netcup will charge you VAT even if not in EU (for someone using the service as the 'final consumer'). it is rather bizarre. i suppose after this recent supreme court ruling, they should perhaps consider paying relevant US state sales taxes instead.

edited July 2018

@bjo said:
    Let's thow https://www.hosting.de/cloud-servers/ into the pool. I moved there after my Netcup Box with 320 GB "SAS" had bad IO for weeks (25MB/s).

Yeah, right, with port 25 blocked and no custom ISOs permitted and higher prices. Give us a break.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@angstrom said:

@bjo said:

Yeah, right, with port 25 blocked and no custom ISOs permitted and higher prices. Give us a break.

goekal-it + twooit = hosting.de

or something along that lines. at least no newcomers to the german market. I think they at least know what they are doing ;-)
    haven't been a customer with them yet and so far doubt that they provide much better performance than netcup or hetzner anyway...

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • bjobjo Member

or something along that lines. at least no newcomers to the german market. I think they at least know what they are doing ;-)
    haven't been a customer with them yet and so far doubt that they provide much better performance than netcup or hetzner anyway...

Yep. Port 25 was opened on request by the CTO on a Sunday, so this is not a problem. Maybe they are less overbooked like netcup is?

@Falzo said:

@angstrom said:

@bjo said:

goekal-it + twooit = hosting.de

I didn't really mean to be against hosting.de. If @bjo had simply suggested them as another possibility, then no problem.

But the netcup box with "bad IO for weeks" and no further details (open a ticket?) seemed to be an unnecessary addition and not useful.

Thanked by 1Falzo

@zevus said:

@willie said:

I guess most in here may already be aware, but for those that aren't .... netcup will charge you VAT even if not in EU (for someone using the service as the 'final consumer'). it is rather bizarre. i suppose after this recent supreme court ruling, they should perhaps consider paying relevant US state sales taxes instead.

I agree that the fact that netcup charges VAT to non-EU private persons is not so great.

By the way, do you have a link to the supreme court ruling that you referred to?

• zevuszevus Member
    edited July 2018

@angstrom said:

@zevus said:

@willie said:

I agree that the fact that netcup charges VAT to non-EU private persons is not so great.

By the way, do you have a link to the supreme court ruling that you referred to?

Here;

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/17-494_j4el.pdf

not so keen on it. texas was great in that it had sales tax and no income tax, but i believe now that puts it at a serious competitive disadvantage. income tax and no sales tax is far preferable, business wise

.... but this i think is just a ruling specific to south dakota. i have just skimmed it. but it sets a precedent & other states are likely to follow, or so my understanding is

read some more, correction ; "The judgment of the Supreme Court of South Dakota is vacated, and the case is remanded for further proceedings not inconsistent with this opinion."

so it hasn't changed yet even for South Dakota, but will soon. presumably.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • williewillie Member

It's nationwide (US), so states will be able to collect sales tax on out-of-state purchases. It sucks.

@willie said:
    It's nationwide (US), so states will be able to collect sales tax on out-of-state purchases. It sucks.

The US is becoming more like the EU in this respect.

Hasn't Amazon been doing this for a while in the US?

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

angstrom said: Hasn't Amazon been doing this for a while in the US?

Up til now the rule has been that you have to pay the state sales tax if and only if you physically operate in the state in any manner. So if Amazon has a warehouse in California, that's a physical operation, so it has to pay California sales tax on California purchases, even if the order is shipped from Seattle. In fact Amazon has warehouses everywhere, so it pays sales tax everywhere. But if you order from B&H Photo which only ships from New York (no out of state warehouses or other operations), B&H doesn't pay sales tax unless you're in New York.

The court decision got rid of the physical presence rule so now you'll have to pay sales tax for your B&H order even though all they did was ship you a package from across the country. Sales tax is a reasonable way to pay for the police and fire department services, sidewalk cleaning etc., that are costs associated with the presence of a physical store, incurred by the city and state where the store is. It was already a stretch if you had a warehouse instead of a store, that didn't ship the actual order being taxed. The new system is they collect the tax without doing anything in exchange. There's not even a pretense any more.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@willie said:

angstrom said: Hasn't Amazon been doing this for a while in the US?

Up til now the rule has been that you have to pay the state sales tax if you physically operate in the state in any manner. So if Amazon has a warehouse in California, it has to pay California sales tax on California purchases, even if the order is shipped from Seattle. In fact Amazon has warehouses everywhere, so it pays sales tax everywhere. But if you order from B&H Photo which only ships from New York (no out of state warehouses or other operations), B&H doesn't pay sales tax unless you're in New York.

The court decision got rid of the physical presence rule so now you have to pay sales tax for your B&H order even though all they did was ship you a package from across the country. Sales tax is supposed to pay for the police and fire department services, sidewalk cleaning etc., that are costs associated with the presence of a physical store, incurred by the city and state where the store is. It was already a stretch if you had a warehouse instead of a store, that didn't ship the actual order being taxed. The new system is they collect the tax without doing anything in exchange. There's not even a pretense any more.

I hear you. That used to be part of the fun of ordering things from out of state.

I guess that one can still take a physical trip to a state without sales tax (e.g., Oregon) to buy things, but that is itself costly and time-consuming.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So pretty much like the VAT now.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

Clouvider said: So pretty much like the VAT now.

Something like that, but I think VAT is at a national level and covers actual services from the national government. US sales tax is state by state, and sometimes by city within a state. So I believe Los Angeles has higher sales tax than the sparser parts of California.

Legislators love making these shitty regressive taxes (sales taxes, excise taxes, payroll taxes) because there's no big donor lobby opposing them. There was a hope that the retail lobby inside a state could put a brake on higher sales taxes, because every time the sales tax goes up, the in-state retailers lose more sales to untaxed out-of-state purchases. If sales taxes make it hard for in-state businesses to compete, the thing to do is beat back the tax. Now that out of state purchases will also be taxed, the legislators can have themselves a party, increasing the sales taxes without any moderating force. They need the added revenue from regular people so they can cut Donald Trump's taxes some more.

• @willie said:

Something like that, but I think VAT is at a national level and covers actual services from the national government. US sales tax is state by state, and sometimes by city within a state. So I believe Los Angeles has higher sales tax than the sparser parts of California.

Legislators love making these shitty regressive taxes (sales taxes, excise taxes, payroll taxes) because there's no big donor lobby opposing them. There was a hope that the retail lobby inside a state could put a brake on higher sales taxes, because every time the sales tax goes up, the in-state retailers lose more sales to untaxed out-of-state purchases. If sales taxes make it hard for in-state businesses to compete, the thing to do is beat back the tax. Now that out of state purchases will also be taxed, the legislators can have themselves a party, increasing the sales taxes without any moderating force. They need the added revenue from regular people so they can cut Donald Trump's taxes some more.

Germans bypass VAT and the "Pauschalabgabe" (German fee on anything that has/is a storage device and printers - the money goes to the copyright mafia) by ordering things in China. They are already starting to (or intending to) hold Amazon and ebay responsible for the VAT on items sold on their website by Chinese sellers, but they can't do that with Chinese companies.. yet.

With or without tax, I buy everything I need on Aliexpress, which is heaps cheaper than having Amazon import a 5€ item and sell it to me for 20€.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

@torrbox said:

@willie said:

Germans bypass VAT and the "Pauschalabgabe" (German fee on anything that has/is a storage device and printers - the money goes to the copyright mafia) by ordering things in China. They are already starting to (or intending to) hold Amazon and ebay responsible for the VAT on items sold on their website by Chinese sellers, but they can't do that with Chinese companies.. yet.

With or without tax, I buy everything I need on Aliexpress, which is heaps cheaper than having Amazon import a 5€ item and sell it to me for 20€.

It’s vidible that Amazon is pressured as you can now see virtually every seller that holds stock in the Amazon warehouse has a VAT number. At least on the IT kit and on U.K. Amazon.

Solution to the other bit is simple - tax at entry as with higher value items. Potentially the costs outweigh benefits in this scenario though.

• mkshmksh Member

@torrbox said:

@willie said:

That only really works as long as you stay below the ~20€ tax free quotas or if you are lucky and customs don't stop your item (which doesn't mean it's actually tax free either but oh well...).

• mkshmksh Member

@torrbox said:

@willie said:

That only really works as long as you stay below the ~20€ tax free quotas or if you are lucky and customs don't stop your item (which doesn't mean it's actually tax free either but oh well...) otherwise it's going to be collected from you.

• YuraYura Member

@Clouvider said:

How dare you say that right after the 4th of July? :c

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Yura said:

@Clouvider said:

How dare you say that right after the 4th of July? :c

Uncle Sam doesn't care, he always has to get his cut.

• @mksh said:
    That only really works as long as you stay below the ~20€ tax free quotas or if you are lucky and customs don't stop your item (which doesn't mean it's actually tax free either but oh well...) otherwise it's going to be collected from you.

Nah the Chinese know how to bypass customs. Well, they claim they pay the taxes for you but... maybe you have heard about the "priority line" or "Germany express" shipping method.

Even if customs asked you for money, you could reject the item and order it again. The tax free quota is around 27€ or 30€, due to the fact that they won't charge you less than 5€ because it's not worth their time. Items are usually declared below their value in a way that does not raise suspicion, too.

Another advantage when ordering from China is of course that a lot of things cost less than 27€, due to the fact that most things cost literally nothing to make.

In any case, I've never even been asked to pay taxes.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited July 2018

@torrbox said:

@mksh said:

Nah the Chinese know how to bypass customs. Well, they claim they pay the taxes for you but...

The chinese? Stop kidding me. They simply don't give a fuck. Depending on the seller they might give such stupid declarations that there is a 100% chance your goods will end up in customs even if you explicitly ask them to not do so.

maybe you have heard about the "priority line" or "Germany express" shipping method.

Yeah, yeah, ...

Even if customs asked you for money, you could reject the item and order it again. The tax free quota is around 27€ or 30€, due to the fact that they won't charge you less than 5€ because it's not worth their time. Items are usually declared below their value in a way that does not raise suspicion, too.

True, your calculation is more accurate than mine. I wouldn't count on that reordering to work all to often though. At least if you don't want to also repay as customs does not offer any free returns service. They will confiscate/destroy it.

In any case, I've never even been asked to pay taxes.

Always a great idea to admit to tax evasion in public.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • mksh said: Always a great idea to admit to tax evasion in public.

Ok now you are just butthurt. What you are saying isn't even true and shows that you are clueless.