Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make a forum awesome
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to make a forum awesome

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

So @jbiloh. You have succeeded in making a near flawless 8 server cluster for one forum? I thought a thread discussing the technology in deployment here was in order. Is this in house or at the hands of the vanilla devs?

So fellow LEBers, what do you think would be the best way to go about database replication to ensure a live and constant environment among multiple servers? This could be a fun thought project, or more.

Comments

• How large is the database anyway?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    How large is the database anyway?

Man I cringe at the thought of what this forums database must look like.

• 350k comments x 2k each (overestimation) = 700MB ?

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2013

Probably need to wait till it is fixed, so we don't get tons of revisions or patches along the way :)

• LOL. Didn't you just request to have your account disabled? Bipolar much?

@jimpop said:
    LOL. Didn't you just request to have your account disabled? Bipolar much?

I apologize if the topic of this thread offends you.

• @jarland said:
    I apologize if the topic of this thread offends you.

Protip: It's not really your topics that offend people.

Feel free to PM me. In the meantime, any thoughts about live database replication for a db with high volume reads and writes?

• Would be interesting to see a little bit more about the setup.

• It all depends on the size of the database. If it's not too big (and i suspect it isn't too big) you could probably just make the entire database on one decent database server and entirely in RAM. Make a mysqldump to persistent storage every hour or more often, and you are done. Should work well for LET.

Thanked by 1jar

Kind of looks like sort of a round robin setup if it's a cluster and we're constantly seeing different things. But if all we see is different user groups on occasion, holy crap this setup must be impressive.

• @jarland said:
    Feel free to PM me.

Oh, is now suddenly an opportune time for you to only deal in PMs? lolz.

In the meantime, any thoughts about live database replication for a db with high volume reads and writes?

Dude, that subject has been well researched and widely written about already. It's like that horse has already left the barn.

• Troll much? :p

Thanked by 2jimpop jar

I apologize if I have offended you @jimpop. I am just trying to engage in conversation about something that I found interesting.

• Paging @eva2000 to advise @SysAdmin and the rest of us in this thread..

Thanked by 1jar
  • Protip: It's not really your topics that offend people.

It's the color of that garage door. Who the F*** picked out the light blue?

if it's a cluster and we're constantly seeing different things.

Then the person who setup the cluster is a f*cktard and should be fired for incompetence.

TL;DR of this entire thread: you don't need an 8 server cluster for a forum with a small 350K comment/13.5K topic/76498 member* (90% of whom are inactive) database.

Thanked by 1taronyu

If we're being tossed across multiple servers at random though, and seeing minimal content errors on a site that gets a decent volume of reads/writes during peak hours, I am legitimately interested in the theory behind the setup. It sounds cool as shit to me. No joking, no trolling, legit impressed.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

LET can live on a simple dedicated server with backups each hour to another box. Simple...

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    LET can live on a simple dedicated server with backups each hour to another box. Simple...

Agreed. LET's activity is very less compared to the big vbulletin forums out there. Even a VPS will be more than enough to run LET.

Correction: A non-oversold VPS* :).

• c0yc0y Member

@FtpIt_Radi said:
    Correction: A non-oversold VPS* :).

Clearly you are too incompetent to know overselling is bad, providers who can't handle it are, like... you

• @jarland said:
    If we're being tossed across multiple servers at random though, and seeing minimal content errors on a site that gets a decent volume of reads/writes during peak hours, I am legitimately interested in the theory behind the setup. It sounds cool as shit to me. No joking, no trolling, legit impressed.

I don't know about LET's setup, but at the company I work for we do this. We have 2 load balancers that distribute traffic and terminate SSL to 8 web servers. We have several database servers that replicate to a backup server (round-robin is yet to be done). All customer files are hosted on a big MooseFS cluster, all PHP files are on each web server (they're in git).

It's quite a complicated setup to get up and running, especially with fail-over and stuff like memcached. Right now we're moving from memcached to redis and we've thus added two redis servers to the cluster who replicate to each other.

Thanked by 1jar

Duh, i meant non-balanced overselling, because I already know that when it's done right it works.